*Update* Getting a booster seat for 8 yr. old? got it!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 12-08-2009, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DSD is 8, 9 in Feb. But she is reallly small...still can wear a sz 6x-7.
I don't like how the seat belt fits (or doesn't fit) her. It does all the things I see in the pictures for not fitting correctly....like sitting higher on her belly and riding across her neck. Plus she frequently falls asleep on the hour long trips we make every other weekend for her visitation, and slumps over in her seat against the door. (we have a '09 Honda Pilot)

I''ve talked to DH about wanting to get her a booster seat and, although he thinks I'm kinda crazy, is pretty much on board with me.

Now...how do I get DSD on board? What booster? Can you help me out with this...

DS-(1996), DSD-(2001), and our miracle baby girl-(7/7/09) and Always remembering my 3 brokenheart.gif angel babies
and cautiously due May 12, 2011!
#2 of 45 Old 12-08-2009, 09:32 AM

If she likes to sleep in the car, I'd see if you can find a high backed booster for her with nice comfy headwings, and "sell it" to her by telling her it'll be so comfy for sleeping. Also it's far more comfortable to not have seatbelts cutting into your neck. If comfort is a motivation for her at all, lol.

FWIW, I think most 8-9yos SHOULD be in boosters, so that's not super unusual...

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#3 of 45 Old 12-08-2009, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
If she doesn't fit in the vehicle belts properly, then she needs a booster. I would prefer to see her in a highbacked booster, but really, a backless would be a significant improvement over no booster at all, and if that makes things easier in your family, I'd consider it.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#4 of 45 Old 12-08-2009, 02:22 PM

If your car has side air bags in the back passenger area, sleeping leaning on the door is not safe. You really need a HBB if she is going to be on the outside for those long trips. Only other option I can see is a LBB if she sits in the center of the car, but even then she'll probably slump out of the belt....

But a HBB would be the safest. There are some very affordable LBB for everyday if DD doesn't want to be seen in a booster.

FWIW, my kids are so small I expect them to be boostered at least until 10 years, maybe longer....I'm small, and I know there are cars that I probably couldn't pass the 5 step test in.
#5 of 45 Old 12-08-2009, 02:30 PM

My kids are small too so they'll be in boosters for a long time. Some boosters come in pretty pink patterns which my appeal to her. I told my dd I was getting her a beautiful "princess" seat and that it would be super comfy with headrests for her and she was excited about it. None of her friends sit in boosters anymore but she was still excited about her "princess pink" seat. The one I got her is the Sunshine Kids Monterey, but I think there are others that come in pink if pink might sell the seat to your dd.
#6 of 45 Old 12-08-2009, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

so, I'm NOT crazy then? thanks..

The kiddos are usually 3 across in the middle row. DS in seatbelt, DD in her Keyfit in the middle and DSD in seatbelt. I'm looking at the HB TB because I don't want to spend a whole lot and have DSD refuse to ride in it. But, if the more expensive options are more comfy for sleeping, I think she'll like them better.

Anyone with experience with older kids in boosters? Which would you recommend?

DS-(1996), DSD-(2001), and our miracle baby girl-(7/7/09) and Always remembering my 3 brokenheart.gif angel babies
#7 of 45 Old 12-08-2009, 07:04 PM

Not crazy. My son will be 9 next month, and he's on the tall side for his age, and he's still in a booster. DD is 6 but probably bigger than your 8 year old (going by clothing sizes) and she's still in a booster, too.
#8 of 45 Old 12-08-2009, 08:36 PM

On the issue of "selling it" to your DD, you can try what we did with our youngest. The problem is not comfort (he's much more comfy in his seat), but embarrassment. Very, very few kids around here sit in a seat beyond the legal requirements (if that), so he didn't want to be the weird kid. We told him that we would just make sure his buddies didn't see him in his seat. It just means parking a little further away for some things or getting there a few minutes early, but it totally puts him at ease. Zero complaints!

computergeek2.gif

#9 of 45 Old 12-08-2009, 08:39 PM

My dd is still in a booster at 9 and I plan on her staying in it until she outgrows the 100pd or 58inch height limit. It is the Graco Turbobooster. A nice safe relatively cheap seat.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#10 of 45 Old 12-08-2009, 09:31 PM

Let her help pick it out!
#11 of 45 Old 12-08-2009, 10:25 PM

Check out the Monterrey and the high-back Clek (can't think of the name off the top of my head!). Nice tall ones

CPST & mom

#12 of 45 Old 12-10-2009, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I've searched online and found...
-The TurboBooster (highback) for $79 (30-100lbs) 38-57' high
-Britax Parkway SG for $119 (40-120lbs) is the slide guard a PITA?
-SK Monterrey for $139 (30-120lbs) 38 to 63' high

Can't find the height for the Parkway..

I like Latch option on the Monterrey and I did see the Frontier ($279) but it's really expensive....maybe use as booster for DSD and pass on to DD when she gets older for her FF harnessed seat?? Actually, I'd probably end up passing on whichever booster I end up getting..

I'm leaning toward the Monterrey, any pros/cons to that one?

#13 of 45 Old 12-10-2009, 03:43 PM

My daughter loves her Monterey, and it would fit most 8yos nicely, but an 8yo might feel squished in a Turbobooster. What is the child's height and weight (I know you wrote she was small.)? I have comparison photos of a 49"/52# 7yo in a Monterey and Turbobooster, if that would help.

#14 of 45 Old 12-10-2009, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
My daughter loves her Monterey, and it would fit most 8yos nicely, but an 8yo might feel squished in a Turbobooster. What is the child's height and weight (I know you wrote she was small.)? I have comparison photos of a 49"/52# 7yo in a Monterey and Turbobooster, if that would help.
The photos would help
I can't get measurements until we pick her up on the 19th for Christmas. Her mom didn't know (and wouldn't get them) when I asked....

#15 of 45 Old 12-10-2009, 03:52 PM

I'd think about the Parkway SG too, because it's narrow and will probably fit better in a 3-across situation too

CPST
#16 of 45 Old 12-10-2009, 03:56 PM

49", 52#, age 7.5

Turbobooster, third of six headrest settings:
http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/v...rbobooster.jpg

Monterey, third of twelve headrest settings (and side wings expanded all the way for larger carpool child):
http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/v...f/monterey.jpg

#17 of 45 Old 12-10-2009, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
I'd think about the Parkway SG too, because it's narrow and will probably fit better in a 3-across situation too
Have you used the Parkway with an older child? The seat didn't look as roomy (as Monterrey) and I don't know about the slideguard...how do older kids feel about it?

Chickabiddy,
thanks for the photos..they do help. The Monterrey does look much more comfy and roomier. (DD is beautiful, btw)

I think we'll have room for whichever seat I decide on but I would like to try it in the car before I make the final choice.

I'll post a photo of DSD if that'll help...

#18 of 45 Old 12-10-2009, 04:11 PM

The Parkway is decently roomy inside, and the slideguard really comes down to personal preference. My daughter would absolutely hate it; other kids don't seem to mind.

#19 of 45 Old 12-10-2009, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a photo of the kids. DSD is next to my 110lb, 5'4" DS
Does that help at all?

#20 of 45 Old 12-10-2009, 04:22 PM

I haven't personally, but I saw a picture of a girl with about your SD's stats in it (perhaps a bit taller?) and she looked quite comfortable.

CPST
#21 of 45 Old 12-10-2009, 04:23 PM

Your family is precious

Your DSD is quite petite and I think she'd fit nicely in the Parkway SG

CPST
#22 of 45 Old 12-10-2009, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Your family is precious

Your DSD is quite petite and I think she'd fit nicely in the Parkway SG
Thank you
Yes, she is very petite. She hasn't been in a seat at all since I've been around (4 yrs now) so it'll be a big adjustment for her (and us) I just didn't
realize she should still be in a booster untill recently thank's to this board
I'll look closer at the ParkwaySG and the Monterrey....any other rec's?

#23 of 45 Old 12-10-2009, 04:50 PM

If you think a backless booster would make the adjustment easier, the Clek Olli is 'older kid' friendly, LATCHable and comes in a variety of interesting patterns.

CPST
#24 of 45 Old 12-10-2009, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you think a backless booster would make the adjustment easier, the Clek Olli is 'older kid' friendly, LATCHable and comes in a variety of interesting patterns.
wow..that seems expensive for just a backless booster is it worth that?

plus...with her sleeping in the car, isn't a high back what we'd need?

#25 of 45 Old 12-10-2009, 07:17 PM

Well, whether or not it's 'all that' is really up to you They have some great features; the covers are awesome, and the seat is designed basically of super dense foam so it's more like sitting directly on the vehicle seat than on a piece of plastic with padding on it. And of course the rigid LATCH feature is pretty cool.

As far as sleeping goes, yeah, a high back helps to keep sleepers in position. On the other hand, older kids eventually have to be taught *not* to slump when dozing.

When I take a nap in the car (not when I'm driving, of course ) I position myself correctly, and then 'lock' my seatbelt to keep my torso in place

CPST
#26 of 45 Old 12-10-2009, 07:23 PM

No recommandations about boosters (My girls are WAY to young to think about that) but I have to say that your children are adorable.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#27 of 45 Old 12-11-2009, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post
No recommandations about boosters (My girls are WAY to young to think about that) but I have to say that your children are adorable.
thank you

SO, I am trying to decide between the Monterrey and the Parkway SG...does the Parkway really go alot taller? I think I like the design of the Monterrey better....

What about the Compass? Any info on it? It looks like a comfy seat but not sure how long it'll last an older child..

#28 of 45 Old 12-11-2009, 09:04 PM

The Compass generally does not fit petite children well. I would not recommend it unless you can try it in a store to see if it does fit your child.

The ParkwaySG adjusts taller than the Monterey; however, considering your daughter is already eight, the Monterey will have at least a few years' growth room and then it can convert to a backless booster. Either booster will give you what you need and then some.

#29 of 45 Old 12-11-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXmom2 View Post
thank you

SO, I am trying to decide between the Monterrey and the Parkway SG...does the Parkway really go alot taller? I think I like the design of the Monterrey better....

What about the Compass? Any info on it? It looks like a comfy seat but not sure how long it'll last an older child..

My concern with the Monterey is that it's a wide booster and it won't fit in many situations when two seats need to be next to each other.

The Compass is not a good idea for your child. It tends to position the lap belt very poorly, especially on petite children. It doesn't adjust very tall, and it's a very broad seat.

CPST
#30 of 45 Old 12-11-2009, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Our 8 year old is in a Booster. She's tall for her age.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page