Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
It was not a valid choice.

It was not a good choice.

I am not militant, I'm educated.

And you know nothing about what choices I have and have not had to make.

She got lucky.
How can you say it was not a valid choice for HER??? It WAS a valid choice for HER and it WAS A GOOD choice at that time. You can argue about it all you like, it doesn't change the outcome.

You are right, I know nothing about the choices you haev made or any other posters on this thread, that is why I left my earlier statement general. I did not refer to any particular person. If you don't consider yourself militant, than I'm not referring to you.
#152 of 157 Old 01-02-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post
If there is additional information to share about carseat safety with or without coats, that is great.

Otherwise, this thread seems about ready to be done.

Happy New Year!!!
Just wanted to point this out!

Please, keep on topic to the OP. Any more off topic discussion could result in this thread being closed.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#153 of 157 Old 01-02-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natashaccat View Post

This is a tough issue for those of us that drive in sub zero temps. Choosing between the obvious immediate danger/discomfort from cold and the hypothetical risk posed by loose straps isn't black and white.
I drive in subzero temps many months in the winter and the boys don't have their coats on... There is no "obvious" danger/discomfort from the cold... even at -30... and again, I don't have a garage nor do we we preheat the car...

They either do the coat trick or take their coats off completely, get strapped in and then put their coats on backwards and in the last weeks I have put some blankets in the car that they can put on also... I have never heard a complaint...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#154 of 157 Old 01-02-2010, 05:39 PM

This is a timely thread for me. I don't put my kids in coats when they go in their carseats. I live in Ontario, Canada, and like others have mentioned, it can get pretty darn cold. We make it work with blankets, so far. But anyone who's noticed this, either family, other parents at DD's daycare, fellow moms in my moms group - well, they look at me like I'm nuts! Seriously, I'm almost positive that EVERYONE I know with kids puts their coats on in the carseat. I guess it's because sometimes I'll just let DD run from the car into daycare in her polar fleece and stuff her coat in her bag. I've gotten looks and been asked, "Where's her coat!?" I just reply, "I don't put my kids in coats in their carseats." and leave it at that. But I'm sure people think I'm the local crazy lady.

Mama to Sunshine (9/06), the Duke (4/09), and little chickadee (9/12).
#155 of 157 Old 01-02-2010, 05:49 PM

I'd like to interject into this thread, if I may, a thought about "militant" car-seat people and their apparent "inability" to make risk-assesments.

I think that it's probable that many of the people who have the mindset that car-seat usage is a fluid thing and isn't a fact-based black-and-white issue have likely never worked in a profession where they saw pictures and video of real accidents involving real children. I'd also wager a guess that they've never worked in a profession where they go on-site to accidents involving seriously injured or dead children. It is such a horrible thing to see that I believe that this thing called "risk assesment" would be thrown out the window in an effort to make sure that one would never have to witness that kind of scene involving her own child.

I am not being judgemental and I don't mean to be rude, I'm just stating that maybe there are reasons that certain people have the views that they do about car safety and those reasons likely have NOTHING to do with making anyone feel like a bad parent on the internet for kicks and giggles. The CPSTs here do us a real service- why do people seem so bent on pushing them out?
#156 of 157 Old 01-02-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyactsofcharity View Post
I'd like to interject into this thread, if I may, a thought about "militant" car-seat people and their apparent "inability" to make risk-assesments.

I think that it's probable that many of the people who have the mindset that car-seat usage is a fluid thing and isn't a fact-based black-and-white issue have likely never worked in a profession where they saw pictures and video of real accidents involving real children. I'd also wager a guess that they've never worked in a profession where they go on-site to accidents involving seriously injured or dead children. It is such a horrible thing to see that I believe that this thing called "risk assesment" would be thrown out the window in an effort to make sure that one would never have to witness that kind of scene involving her own child.

I am not being judgemental and I don't mean to be rude, I'm just stating that maybe there are reasons that certain people have the views that they do about car safety and those reasons likely have NOTHING to do with making anyone feel like a bad parent on the internet for kicks and giggles. The CPSTs here do us a real service- why do people seem so bent on pushing them out?
Life is not black and white. So people's choices aren't always going to be black and white. Is it usually safer to follow best practice regarding car seat usage? Absolutely! But there has to be room for the FACT that there are tiems when best practice would not be safest overall in a given situation. It would be nice if people here could acknowledge that they don't have the intimate detaiils of every situation, and so they cannot say, without a doubt, what is best for every person in every setting.
#157 of 157 Old 01-02-2010, 07:34 PM

The thread is now closed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page