Please tell me about car seat expirations... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-03-2010, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I've heard from various people and read here a bit that car seats have expiration dates. I wasn't aware of this when DH and I bought our Graco Snugride infant seat and stroller combo a little over a year ago. I also heard that the hospital won't let you bring home baby if your car seat is expired. How do I find this out? I'm pregnant now and due in September, but bought this Graco set over a year ago when I was pregnant but miscarried. The box is new, never opened, but no longer returnable. Will it still be good for my new baby next year? Should I sell it on Craigslist now and buy a new one closer to when my baby arrives? Oh, the confusion!

Thanks for any help!

cd.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif
Our dream come true, Chloe Aleksandra arrived on 9-10-10.
#2 of 7 Old 01-03-2010, 06:47 AM

The expiration date should be on a sticker on the side of the outside shell of the Snugride. IIRC, most car seats are good for something like 5-8 years from the date of manufacture, so you should be fine even if the seat is a year old.
#3 of 7 Old 01-03-2010, 10:10 AM

The Snugride lasts 6 years. Your babe will probably not fit in it past 6-8months, so it'll be fine, unless you had plans to use it for several children. My DD outgrew her SnugRide at 4 months old.

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#4 of 7 Old 01-03-2010, 10:21 AM

The Graco Snugride expires in the December of the sixth year from date of manufacture. It's highly unlikely your seat is expired.

CPST
#5 of 7 Old 01-03-2010, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your advice! That makes me feel so much better.

We have a lot of the basics already--I got a little carried away when I was pregnant last year, but didn't expect to lose it. Now I'm unemployed, so it would stink if I had to sell this one at a loss and buy a new one next year.

cd.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif
Our dream come true, Chloe Aleksandra arrived on 9-10-10.
#6 of 7 Old 01-03-2010, 06:40 PM

IMO, whenever possible those baby seats should be used for at least two babies, so if you ( never have an accident in it, as your baby is getting close to outgrowing it check around with friends and relatives to see if there's a pregnant woman who needs a seat.
#7 of 7 Old 01-04-2010, 12:28 PM

you have got great info on here already. Just wanted to add that I have yet to see a hospital, at least around here, that will check to see that 1. either a car seat is installed correctly or 2. if it is expired. I wish they did but thats not the norm around my area. Glad you are making it a priority though.

BFPChart2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page