Would You Give Your LOs Your Old Toys? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Even if they may have safety issues (ex- lead, a design that may have hurt a small percentage of children in the past, etc)?

I have My Little Ponies I'm very attached to and had hoped to give to DD in the future (in a couple years—she's only 10 months now). Well, I discovered the other day that Hasbro announced their vintage Ponies may contain lead. I'm considering giving them to DD when she is much older—well past the stage of chewing on things (5-7), but maybe I should just hang onto them. What do you think?

Enjoying the adventure of NFL with my partner-in-crime , DD 03.09 , , &
#2 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 09:20 AM

As far as I know, the only toys of mine or my sister's that still exist are plush or board games. Dc have some of mine and my sister's plush. When they are older they can use our old board games.
I'm into vintage/retro decor but have put some items away b/c of concern about lead paint.
If it was just a few items I was concerned about, I would have them tested first. Or give them when they were quite a bit older.

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#3 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 09:36 AM

If I knew there was a recall for lead (like your example), no, I wouldn't give it even to older kids. Especially as the toys age the lead paint could be coming off the toys and onto their hands--and if they don't wash well before eating, they could still end up ingesting it.

In your case, since you're very fond of them I might try to test them for lead. Or if by chance the lead was only in a bit of the decoration, removing just that part.

I do allow DS to play with DH's old toys, (metal trucks mostly), so maybe it's just an "ignorance is bliss" policy on my part.
#4 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 12:49 PM

I do let my child play with our old toys (though we don't have many). I think if my husband and I emerged unscathed playing with them, and our child is old enough not to swallow them, then they're probably not going to hurt her. We also have bunches of old books, and have no intention of disallowing her to read them. Those are risks I'm willing to take. If her lead levels were high, or borderline, I would probably be more careful.
#5 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelf View Post
I do let my child play with our old toys (though we don't have many). I think if my husband and I emerged unscathed playing with them, and our child is old enough not to swallow them, then they're probably not going to hurt her. We also have bunches of old books, and have no intention of disallowing her to read them. Those are risks I'm willing to take. If her lead levels were high, or borderline, I would probably be more careful.
That's what I was going to say too.
#6 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 01:29 PM

I let my DD play with some of my old toys. She has one of my old Barbies which I gave her for Christmas when she first asked for one. I also gave her my old My Friend Dolls.
#7 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 01:30 PM

I have an old rocking horse, really short, for babies/toddlers. It was my aunt's, and I love it. But it's from the 40s or 50s, and has red paint on it. I'm hoping to find some sort of sealant to cover it with that's safe(r). Unfortunately, it's small enough that it really won't be fun for a kid old enough to reliably not chew on it, so we need to find some solution. Otherwise, it'll sit on a shelf as decoration.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#8 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 02:07 PM

I wouldn't. My toys are from the 60's and 70's and I doubt that they are safe. I remember peeling the plastic off of the Weebles (that wobble, but don't fall down) and that the paint underneath really smelled bad. I'm sure it had tons of lead in it.

ETA: Dd does have all of my I CAN READ books. They are collector's items now and go for a pretty penny on ebay, but we'll keep them for her kids if she ever has any. By then, they'll probably be museum pieces.
#9 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 02:13 PM

Yes, but the plastic ones 'live' and gramma&grampy's house!(for occasional play) The wooden ones and some plush have made it to our house.

SAHM to DD 03/08 & DD 06/10 made with love with my DP

#10 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 02:32 PM

Have them tested for lead (you might be able to buy a kit from the hardware store? Not sure, my DH is a chemist & tests our stuff at work) or wait 'til she's older... For other safety issues (within reason) I'd either wait 'til she's older or only allow the toys when you're able to closely supervise, put them away the rest of the time.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#11 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 02:44 PM

We do have assorted older toys we let dd use, but often these are also ones we don't keep out for all-the-time play anyway. We bring them out for a few days, and then box up and put away. If you're attached to them, I'd consider doing something like that once she's beyond putting things in her mouth (like 3-4-5).
#12 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
same here...
i have quite a few of my old toys left - well my mum kept them
i have already dug my old barbies out for dsd. my partner gave ds all his old matchbox cars, weve also got some old boardgames etc.
#13 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 02:47 PM

Yes and I have. My mother keeps everything it seems. So she has a lot of my and my brothers old toys. I had a Mickey Mouse train set that he now has, some Little People (70's) and a few other things that were definitely mine from '73 or later. He also has toys that were my brother's, '85 or later.

~*Heather*~
Wife to J 9/00 Mama to K 12/05
#14 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 02:54 PM

Yes, we give our dc's our old toys. I am not worried about it. I keep my eye out for choking hazards and I wouldn't give something old to a young baby to suck and chew on. But I would have no problem cleaning up MLPs and giving them to my dd.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#15 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 03:17 PM

Moved to Family Safety

#16 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 03:33 PM

I used to voraciously chew the legs of my My Little Ponies.

This explains a few things.

CPST
#17 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
dd has several of my old toys. she was never a "mouthy" baby, so I not concerned, but it would be more of a concern if she was.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#18 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 04:49 PM

I have and will - I still have most of my old toys, and went through them a year or so ago now while cleaning up my old room to become DS1's. I donated quite a few of them, but still have lots that I'm gradualy pulling out as DS gets bigger. The only ones I'm hesitating on, tbh, is one ancient wooden circus set that was actually *MY* dad's!! Its got tons of red paint that I'd wager a pretty penny has lead. But I'm sure the boys will play with it eventually.
#19 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 04:52 PM

My mom is a hoarder ( ) and kept absolutely everything. I sorted through and kept about 10% of my old toys, which I do allow DD to play with. A lot of them are plush, but she also has some metal cars and trucks and some things like Strawberry Shortcake and My Little Pony. I did not give her any of my old baby toys when she was in the mouthing stages.

I've had DD's lead tested in the last two years and it came back fine. I'll probably have it done again in the next year or so, just to be sure, but I'm not overly concerned. I was more worried when we lived in a really old rental.

Homeschooling, etsy-crafting Mama to spunky DD (12-04) and wife to DH.

#20 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 06:52 PM

Plastic can deteriorate with age and release toxins. Paint that didn't shed onto hands when it was new and fresh 20 years ago can now be dried out and flaky.

I view old toy as decoration only. I have an adorable rocking horse chair thing from the 1950s. I never put DS in it to play, but we did prop him up in it for just long enough to take a photo. At my dad's house up on a display shelf is the Silver, The Lone Ranger's horse, that belonged to my mom when she was a girl in the 1940's. Lone Ranger toys became very very valuable in the 1990s, but my mom's had lost several pieces when my grandmother let my sisters play with it in the 1970s.

Basically I recommend: Hang on to your old toys, put them on a high shelf for display, then when you children are ready for college sell them on ebay to pay tuition.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#21 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 06:59 PM

Nope. MIL wanted the kids to have their old baby toys, and I said no way (especially plastic teethers with paint on them). I do let DS play with my brother's racecars from childhood...so maybe not a great idea there. I thought about it for baby toys but never thought about the fact that he plays with old toys until I just typed this out.
#22 of 23 Old 01-10-2010, 07:02 PM

Lina has my stuffed animal collection, but all but three items were obtained as an adult. She also played with my Slinky until it got twisted by friends (now she's got a new one). I've bought her two toys at Goodwill.

The oldest toys she has are old purses.

My parents didn't really keep a lot of baby/toddler toys. Oh! I did grab stringing beads and alphabet blocks, so those are painted wooden.

Other than the stuffed animals and the blocks, the only things from my childhood I'm going to get out of the attic for Lina to play with are for older kids so chewing isn't going to be a factor.
#23 of 23 Old 01-11-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Yep, this is me too. Some of my dd's favorite toys are my old fisher price little people, which are so much better than the ones sold today.

Sarah, mama to Miriam 9/26/2006 and Isaac 2/12/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page