How long did you/will you harness your child? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: How long did you/will you harness your child?
age 3-4 19 100.00%
age 5-6 60 100.00%
age 7-8 23 100.00%
age 9-10 6 100.00%
Other, please explain 24 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 76 Old 01-17-2010, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hopefully the poll works.
#2 of 76 Old 01-17-2010, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I moved my daughter to a booster at age 7.25 and 48(ish)#.

ETA: she prefers a booster and I'm fine with it. I made her ride harnessed once a few months ago in a carpool vehicle with a lap-only belt, and she was not at all pleased.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#3 of 76 Old 01-17-2010, 02:52 PM
jdg

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My state requires that all children be in at least a booster until they are 8 years old or 80 pounds, whichever they hit first.

Jackie
#4 of 76 Old 01-17-2010, 02:55 PM

As long as I can find a carseat that they fit in the harness in, and can come up with the money to buy it, they will be harnessed.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#5 of 76 Old 01-17-2010, 02:56 PM

Just as a point of information, there is no evidence that children who can use a booster properly (size, age, maturity) are any safer harnessed than boostered.

#6 of 76 Old 01-17-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
Just as a point of information, there is no evidence that children who can use a booster properly (size, age, maturity) are any safer harnessed than boostered.
As long as they never fall asleep in the car and end up all slouched over, sure. We've never owned a car with three shoulder harnesses across the back seat, and we have 3 kids. so when the youngest can no longer be harnessed, one of her siblings might have to sit in a lap only belt.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#7 of 76 Old 01-17-2010, 03:02 PM

My oldest will be moving to a booster when the new baby comes (I am almost 40 weeks, so soon) He is 7 1/2 and 60 lbs and still fits great in his Radian but logistically in the car we need to change him... he rather be harnessed than use a booster but we don't have much choice...

My other boys are still harnessed and will remain so until they no longer fit their seats (Radians also)...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#8 of 76 Old 01-17-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
As long as they never fall asleep in the car and end up all slouched over, sure. We've never owned a car with three shoulder harnesses across the back seat, and we have 3 kids. so when the youngest can no longer be harnessed, one of her siblings might have to sit in a lap only belt.
Oh, okay. Lap belts and boosters are considered improper use, so absolutely a child would be safer harnessed than in a lap belt.

Some boosters have deep side and body wings that keep sleepy kids in position.

#9 of 76 Old 01-17-2010, 03:10 PM

I said 3-4. DD moved to a booster age 3, 110cm, not sure on the weight then. I was a single parent, she rode in a car maybe 1-2 times a month, we had a FF silvercross stage 1-2 seat, but she was so tall that the highest insertion for the shoulder straps was below her shoulders (she actually grew out of the seat earlier but the plastic base and foam rubber they use had an extra set of insertion slots which the over-slip cover didn't, so i cut the cover to utilise them for another few months). I simply couldn't afford one of the harness seats which fits taller-than average kids.

After we moved in with DH she now rides in the car 4x a week, and we used the seat with the belt for a time but she quickly outgrew the back (it's adjustable but we have non-removable headrests in our back seats which prevent her headrest adjusting up much and affect the stability of the seat if we raise it anyway). We then moved her to a booster cushion, which i replaced just yesterday with a high-back booster which i'm far happier with (we have a mazda rx8 which doesn't take many conventional seats and no money to spend on really expensive seats - i found a high back with adjustable rake which happens to fit in our back seat on offer yesterday and snapped it up!). I intend to keep her in the high-back for another few years.

For the new baby we have a RF 0 infant seat good to 8kg, and after that we were hoping to buy a RF good to age 4 or so, but there are none available in the UK which will fit into our car. At the moment we cannot afford to replace the car, so i guess time will tell on that. Baby isn't due until June so we have hopefully 15months to worry about it before making a decision.
#10 of 76 Old 01-17-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
There really isn't any evidence to the contrary, either, though. Until someone can point me to an actual study which states otherwise (and I evaluate the information - I don't trust the average person to correctly interpret data), I'm perfectly comfortable with my 7 year old being in a harnessed car seat and actually prefer that.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#11 of 76 Old 01-17-2010, 03:26 PM

As long as they fit in a seat with a harness and the seat will fit in our vehicle. For my dd that was age 3 and the only seat that she would still fit in harnessed was the Husky which won't fit in our vehicle, truck. With ds1 it's age 4 when again the only seat he would fit in is a Regent and amazingly it still won't fit in our truck even though they changed the name. For ds2 I expect it to be longer as he is a tiny thing at 21 months 34.5" and 25.6lbs.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#12 of 76 Old 01-17-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boheime View Post
There really isn't any evidence to the contrary, either, though. Until someone can point me to an actual study which states otherwise (and I evaluate the information - I don't trust the average person to correctly interpret data), I'm perfectly comfortable with my 7 year old being in a harnessed car seat and actually prefer that.
Right. There's no evidence either way. I have nothing against extended harnessing -- as I wrote, my own child was harnessed past age seven -- but since "as long as I can come up with the money to buy it" was brought up, parents shouldn't feel pressured to spend big bucks on big seats IF children can use boosters properly. (If they want to, super. If they feel they *need* to, that could maybe be re-examined.)

#13 of 76 Old 01-17-2010, 03:35 PM

I voted 5-6 years. Ideally, that means through age 6 (right before turning 7) b/c I know at that point my kids can sit properly in a BPB. Before then, it's not every time. That said, my kids are tall and even with 'extended harnessing seats', their shoulders get too tall right around, or a few months before their 6th birthday. So in reality, they are harnessed until 5-6 years.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#14 of 76 Old 01-17-2010, 03:42 PM

I can't really say an age - it has more to do with weight.

My DS car seat is up to 55lbs. He has another 15lbs to go and is currently 4. His weight has slowed down a-lot so I have no idea how long it will take him to get to 55lbs. He is the same weight now as he was a year ago (but obviously has gotten taller! ...so he has just thinned out a bit).

Once he outgrows that - thats it. Cause thats the highest harnessed car seat you can get in this country. I could try to import one from America that did not require a top tether (cause our cars dont have that compatable feature - as required for something like the Britax Regent that harnesses up to 80lbs for example) but according to many users here, he would have outgrown those by height before weight so there would be no point.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#15 of 76 Old 01-17-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Right. There's no evidence either way. I have nothing against extended harnessing -- as I wrote, my own child was harnessed past age seven -- but since "as long as I can come up with the money to buy it" was brought up, parents shouldn't feel pressured to spend big bucks on big seats IF children can use boosters properly. (If they want to, super. If they feel they *need* to, that could maybe be re-examined.)
I wouldn't go so far as to buy a special needs seat for my kids if they weren't special needs. If the price range stays around $300, I'll try to come up with the dough to keep them harnessed though. We have a sunshine radian XTSL now for the new baby. I went with the XTSL because I had one long lean child and one super chubby kiddo, so I'm not sure which this little one will be. I wanted the higher weight limit just in case. My son could have stayed in the XTSL (if it existed) through kindergarten. DD would have been able to stay in it through 1st grade....when it would have expired for her (if she'd had it as a newborn). She started out with rolls on rolls on rolls, but thinned out by the time she was 4 and became long and lean. DS was a long lean baby, but started chubbing out after kindy. I've been having my friend's kids sit in the seat when they come visit so I can check the harness slots against their shoulder heights. So far, in our group of friends....5 out of 7 six year olds would fit in the seat still for height and weight. 3 out of 6 7 year olds still would fit....and all of the under 6 group would still fit. So I'm pretty happy with the seat we've chosen. After she outgrows this seat we'll probably need to move her to a booster, and I'm really hoping that we've been able to start buying newer cars by then so that we have enough shoulder belts to go around. I really hate to put ANYONE in a lap belt.....even though DD would technically be grown up at that point. She'll probably still be at home while she goes to college.

#16 of 76 Old 01-17-2010, 03:47 PM

Ds#1 was harnessed until 5 1/2 (he's now 12)
DS#2 was harnessed until 4 (he's now 10)
DD was harnessed until 5 1/2 (when she outgrew her Marathon by height, still in a booster at 7)
DS#3 is still harnessed at 4, and will probably stay that way for at least a year, we're hoping to get him Nautilus to replace his Marathon before he outgrows it

DS#4 is only 5 weeks old, as we're still researching seat options for once he outgrows his bucket (Graco SafeSeat)
#17 of 76 Old 01-17-2010, 03:50 PM

My first two kids outgrew their harnessed seats right around their fourth birthdays. I had already bought an expensive (to me) specialty seat to keep them harnessed that long, so that was the end. They have done fine in boosters.
#18 of 76 Old 01-17-2010, 03:57 PM

I'm estimating around 6 years old (she's currently 4 yrs 8 mo. and my younger is only 19 mo. and still rear facing). However, if she still can't sit properly in a booster at that age, I'll keep her harnessed. If she can sit in a booster properly at that age, then great! Same for my youngest, unless there is new info out in another 5 years

Erica :
Mom to B (5 yrs) & I (2 yrs)
#19 of 76 Old 01-17-2010, 03:59 PM

DS moved to a high backed booster full time when he outgrew his Marathon at almost 6. DD I think will fit in her Decathlon a long time yet (she is 4), but it will expire when she is 6.5, so we'll probably get her a high backed booster then. I plan on getting a Radian for the new baby after she outgrows the Snugride, so probably 6 or 7 for her to be harnessed too.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#20 of 76 Old 01-17-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
As long as they never fall asleep in the car and end up all slouched over, sure.
Shoot....I'm 36 years old and not sure I meet this requirement at times.
#21 of 76 Old 01-17-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxthecatrules View Post
Shoot....I'm 36 years old and not sure I meet this requirement at times.
Both of my kids so far are belly sleepers and naturally lean forward when they fall asleep, so I kept them hanressed as long as possible, then kept them in boosters as long as possible. For dd this was until she was almost 10 (booster), for dh it was until he was 8 (booster).

#22 of 76 Old 01-17-2010, 04:24 PM

Ds1 was 5.5yo and 48lbs when we moved him to a booster. I can't use LATCH in my minivan past 48lbs, and I couldn't get the Radian to install with the seatbelt. I WOULD have kept him harnessed longer if I'd been able to install the Radian in the van.
Our options were either a booster or $300 for a Britax Frontier, and since we were comfortable enough with him in a booster (he sits properly, and is aware enough when he is asleep to stay in a good position), we opted for the Parkway with slideguard.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#23 of 76 Old 01-17-2010, 04:38 PM

DS1 was harnessed until he was 4.5 and I realized he was 5 lbs over the harness weight of his seat. He went into a booster then because we were expectingds three and needed a small seat to fit three across the back of our station wagon. DD was under 4. Probably closer to three. I know that's awful, but she was too tall for her harnessing seat and we absoloutely could not afford one of the taller seats. There was nothing in our buget that would work for her . DS2 is still harnessed at 4 years 4 months old, and will be for the forseeable future. He still fits comfortably in his Marathon and is only 34 lbs.
#24 of 76 Old 01-17-2010, 04:54 PM

Mine were in a 5pt. harness in a Britax Huskey until hit the weight limit of 80lbs, and were 7 and 10.

Wife and SAHM to our two girls and one little man.
#25 of 76 Old 01-17-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_of_loxley View Post
I can't really say an age - it has more to do with weight.
From a safety standpoint, age is far more important than weight.

#26 of 76 Old 01-17-2010, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DD1 is 7, still harnessed and will continue to be for several reasons. She does lack maturity to ride 100% in a booster, she rides in one with DH and in carpools, but likes to wiggle around. She is average height but very thin, weighing only 43 lbs. And the last reason is that she rides in the 3rd row, she frequently gets the seatbelt tangled in a booster, but can easily buckle herself in and out of her regent saving me the hassle of climbing back there to help her. A must when I have three children of my own and frequently haul around extras.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#27 of 76 Old 01-17-2010, 08:38 PM

About 5-6 yo. because they have grown out of their RF'ing seats then.
And I will not harness a ff'ing child, so booster it is after RF'ing. But luckily we have RF'ing seats with 55 lbs. weight limit and tall shells. And they are ready to be in boosters after those.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#28 of 76 Old 01-17-2010, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I clicked other. For me they need to be a minimum of 4/40 and sit properly all the time. For my oldest ds who was highly motivated it was a little after 4. I don't know when my younger 2 will be mature enough.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#29 of 76 Old 01-18-2010, 10:35 AM

Ds1 went into a booster when he was about 4 and 45-50lbs. Dd1 is 4-1/2 and still harnessed and probably will be for some time yet. She is only 38lbs. Even though she is in a Radian which harnesses to 65lbs I can see her reaching a point when she's older (thinking 7 maybe?) that she will be ready for a booster. 65lbs for her is a loooong way off I think . Ds2 and dd2 will follow the same trend. They are r/f in Truefit's right now and they harness ff until 65lbs so it will be whenever they are old enough and prepared to sit in a booster or they reach the limits of the seat. We bought the Truefit's so that they could be harnessed for a long time and we would not have to worry about buying more carseats until booster age.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#30 of 76 Old 01-18-2010, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
DD was just over 5 when she reached the weight limit for the harness (18KG). It's a convertible seat so we removed the harness and she's using it as a booster. It keeps her nicely in position when she is asleep.

It was much easier to faster her in with the 5 point though, I hate having to lean over her to fasten the seatbelt and she can't reach yet.

I think DS will be younger, as he has always been bigger than DD.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page