Are Ikea toys safe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-18-2010, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've noticed they have lots of wooden toys but they are much cheaper than any others I've seen...

Does anyone know whether they have been reviewed, where they are made and whether they are safe?

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 01-18-2010, 09:50 PM

I think they are all made in china, we have some of them and have had some for a few years, through 2 rowdy boys and they have lasted. Some of their toys are nonpainted, and literally one piece like this black plastic teeter totter rocker thing that they love.

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
#3 of 18 Old 01-18-2010, 09:50 PM

good question, subbing...

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#4 of 18 Old 01-18-2010, 09:55 PM

apparently they are not all made in china...or maybe not at all --

http://www.chinafreechristmas.info/2...-in-china.html

This is one of the toys we have which is made in sweden - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40060836

I can't even express how much our 2 boys LOVE this. It's a favorite for piling on cars and toys and whatever and running through the house with...

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
#5 of 18 Old 01-18-2010, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnegansmom View Post

This is one of the toys we have which is made in sweden - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40060836

I can't even express how much our 2 boys LOVE this. It's a favorite for piling on cars and toys and whatever and running through the house with...
No information about the safety, but that has been my daughters favorite toy for two years!

Although doesn't Sweden have pretty high safety standards in general?

Mom to DD 8 and DS 6.
#6 of 18 Old 01-18-2010, 10:14 PM

We have the Ikea bead coaster and a stacking rings lighthouse thingy. Both are in great condition after 2 kids. My youngest is one and still gnawing on everything, and there is no sign of any damage to the disks in the wooden lighthouse - pictured here: http://www.greattoyguide.co.uk/2009/...ing-rings.html

Gets played with a billion times a day for the past 3 years!
#7 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Some info I found on IKEA's practices:

http://www.cleanproduction.org/Safer.About.IKEA.php

In researching PVC/phthalates a while back, I found that IKEA quite some years ago discontinued the use of these chemicals in their products (or most of them, including all toys and baby items). I remember being very glad to see how long it had been, because we've had their (super cheap) kids plastic plates/bowls/cups for a long time, but even those were PVC/phthalate-free.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#8 of 18 Old 01-20-2010, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
Some info I found on IKEA's practices:

http://www.cleanproduction.org/Safer.About.IKEA.php

In researching PVC/phthalates a while back, I found that IKEA quite some years ago discontinued the use of these chemicals in their products (or most of them, including all toys and baby items). I remember being very glad to see how long it had been, because we've had their (super cheap) kids plastic plates/bowls/cups for a long time, but even those were PVC/phthalate-free.
Thanks for the link and to everyone else who replied also.

Sweden and most of Europe have high standards. That why I was wondering if Ikea stuff is made in Europe or MIC, especially since it's so cheap.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#9 of 18 Old 01-21-2010, 12:08 AM

My kids love their IKEA toys too. We went on a bit of an IKEA binge, since my mom sent a $400 gift card for IKEA for Christmas. I got the slide (the one BIG present) and most of the little toys. All have been great quality and sturdiness.

I also like how nothing in the kids section requires batteries, so lots of good imaginative play.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#10 of 18 Old 01-21-2010, 12:17 PM

Their train set is the greatest....waaaaaay cheaper than Thomas...but Thomas trains also match with it.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#11 of 18 Old 01-21-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
apparently they are not all made in china...or maybe not at all --

http://www.chinafreechristmas.info/2...-in-china.html

my lo loves this as well. he's used it everyday for months and shows no sign of slowing!!! when his bigger friends come over they push him around in it!!

living light husband wife loving life two sons to birth for our light loving earth. :
#12 of 18 Old 01-21-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Face View Post
I've noticed they have lots of wooden toys but they are much cheaper than any others I've seen...

Does anyone know whether they have been reviewed, where they are made and whether they are safe?
Most of the wooden toys were made in China. Normally, the wooden toy is safe if your child is not under 6 years.
#13 of 18 Old 01-22-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:

My DS loves this too!!! He gets food out of the pantry & wheels it all over the place.

Wife of 10 yrs to Oaties, Mama to Bubs 08/06/08, Rizie 04/19/10 & MRae 02/02/13 & to dog2.gif

#14 of 18 Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 AM

This is a great thread. I found a link that I didn't see mentioned yet (sorry if I'm duplicating here) from Ikea specifically about their toy safety requirements and while it doesn't promise perfection, it does offer some comfort for those of us who can't always afford Land Of Nod stuff : http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/about_ikea/social_environmental/toy_safety.html
#15 of 18 Old 04-13-2012, 11:51 PM

I've noticed they have lots of wooden toys but they are much cheaper than any others I've seen.

#16 of 18 Old 04-13-2012, 11:52 PM

http://www.infoocean.info/avatar3.jpgmy lo loves this as well. he's used it everyday for months and shows no sign of slowing!!

#17 of 18 Old 04-14-2012, 06:29 AM

I love IKEA toys!  I think they are a great balance between cheap but not filled with chemicals.  And they are often simple and open ended. 

We have their train set (which works with thomas and also NYC MTA subway trains, toy kitchen, easel, swing hanging from the ceiling of our son's bedroom, and those are just the big ones (can you tell we have 2 IKEA stores within a few miles of us?  we love it there.)

#18 of 18 Old 04-19-2012, 03:19 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Most of their toys are made in China. If you are comfortable with MIC painted toys (I'm not) than they are good value for the dollar.

The plastics are all better quality than average because they comform to EU law.

We like their tin pots and pans.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page