When did you turn your LO forward? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: When did you turn your LO forward?
12 months 13 8.72%
13-14 months 12 8.05%
15-16 months 6 4.03%
17-18 months 8 5.37%
19-21 months 12 8.05%
22-24 months 5 3.36%
after 24 months 93 62.42%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 60 Old 01-23-2010, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD was over a year, maybe 13 or 14 months. We went to a place to see if her seat was installed properly and they told us to turn her around since she was over a year and over 20lbs. We didn't know any better so we turned her. With DS we were living in Japan when he turned 1. The max speed limit where we live is 70kph (43.49mph). DS was miserable in his carseat and hated riding in the car. We decided to turn him around 17 months since we felt safer going slower on the roads, were in a culture where driving is taken very seriously (people pay thousands of dollars for driver's education and take their tests several times before passing because everything must be perfect, there isn't much drinking and driving--the legal alcohol limit for driving is 0.01, people don't get their license until they are over 20 and even then most can't afford it until they are older, elderly and first year driver's cars are marked with special emblems, etc. . .we are also in a culture where you often see children hopping around in the backseat or a mother nursing or holding her babe/toddler in the front seat--it's even part of the law that children/babies can be on an adult's lap in the front as long as that adult is "servicing them"). If we were still in the states where people drive a lot faster and aren't quite as safe we might have waited (because we are far more educated about safety now), but here we went ahead and turned him. I have to admit he was much, much happier in the car.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 60 Old 01-23-2010, 07:39 PM

My son is 33mo and still rearfaces. It's safer. Period.

He stopped screaming on short trips (10-20min) when he was around two. He started tolerating longer trips closer to two and a half. For really long trips (3-15 hours), we require DVDs and the ipod touch for distraction. One of us always sits in back with him.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#33 of 60 Old 01-23-2010, 11:53 PM

My 3.5 year old is still happily rear facing in his RadianXT. I bought it to keep him rear-facing longer when he outgrew his RF Marathon by weight.

I shudder to think what a crash would do to his sweet little body if he were FF. It's my job to protect him to the best of my ability.

NortheastSuperstar
Three boys and a sweet toddling girl joy.gif
#34 of 60 Old 01-24-2010, 12:28 AM

A & B were both 12 mos. With C I wanted to keep him RF at least till 2, but due to some rather complicated vehicle situations (will explain), he was FF by 18 mos.

When my car AC went out, I turned him FF *in my car only* because my rear windows do not unroll and my AC had broken, which meant he had ZERO air flow back there. We lived in Texas at the time and this was the middle of summer where over 100* was a daily occurrence. Turning him fwd until we could afford to fix the AC was the only viable option. I had things like dr appointments & school pick up to attend to, not to mention just needing to get out of the house sometimes. (DH was working and driving the only car w/ AC, which was a stick shift, which I don't know how to drive *safely*.)

So, out of necessity and safety, he was FF at 18 mos. We did limit outings in my car, though.

(I'd rather have had him FF and able to get air form the unrolled front windows than RF and suffocating.)

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#35 of 60 Old 01-24-2010, 12:32 AM
Bea

I kept my son RF till around 2. I think a week or two before his second birthday.

We have an Evenflo Triumph Advance rated to 35lbs RF and I pushed it to the max RFeight allowance. He's a big boy. 30lbs at 9 months and the ETA was the maximum weight rated RF we could afford then. Later on when he needed turned, our budget allowed for no upgrade at all to keep him RF.

Luckily he spends very little time in the car. 5 minutes on side streets once or twice a week. Some weeks he isn't in the car at all.

"Custom will reconcile people to any atrocity."
#36 of 60 Old 01-24-2010, 12:35 AM

Hmm as I've said elsewhere, I remember several of my siblings screaming like it was the end of the world....and that was back when they had FF carseats w/ the overhead arms. I don't think it's FF or RF that makes 'em scream. They are unhappy to be restrained, period. FF will be novel and maybe quiet them for a few trips but it will start up again. That's called welcome to toddlerhood.

DD will remain rearfacing until she outgrows whatever seat is available that has the highest/heaviest measurements. I hear the Radian goes to 45 and has a tall shell so she may be in it until hopefully 4 or 5 years. And then I will harness her FF for as long as possible as well.

This issue is probably the only thing, other than perhaps diet and birthing choices, where parents can so truly and greatly impact their child's health and wellbeing. Everything else is a lottery or a mirage of control.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#37 of 60 Old 01-24-2010, 12:35 AM

ds1 we turned ff at around 29mo, only because i was due with his sibling the following month, and it was the only way to get his carseat to fit behind the driver's seat. i was annoyed that i couldn't keep him rf longer (the rf weight limit on his seat is 35lbs and he had a way to go), but i figured-- well, he's a good half year past his second birthday, so it's not that bad, right? ds2 is 32 months and still rf, and will be until either he reaches the weight limit, or i have to reconfigure carseats again-- we're ttc right now.

christina

meafro.jpg, and dhyikes2.gif, -- parenting joy.gifsince 2004, and bouncy.gif since 2007.
"IF YOU ARE NOT OUTRAGED, THEN YOU ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION." signcirc1.gif
#38 of 60 Old 01-24-2010, 01:05 AM

Ds is 2.5 and 24lbs. His seat rearfaces to 45lbs, so Im guessing he will be around 5-6yrs old then.

When he outgrows his seat rearfacing, I will probably go overseas to get one that rearfaces even longer! (If they dont come out with a heigher limit seat here first)
#39 of 60 Old 01-24-2010, 01:52 AM

I'm hoping that DS will remain short enough to RF for 24 months. We got the Graco MR 65, so he's good for weight. But the straps are in the second from the top slot now, and I'm almost 100% certain that the user manual says not to use the seat RF if the shoulder harness is in the top slot. His growth has slowed immensely but he is wearing 2T clothing at 14 months, so he's a big, tall guy! Only 25 lbs though.

To the OP, if your child screams in the car maybe s/he's just bored? Jack likes it when I play children's music (children singing) for him. He just babbles back to them, it's very sweet. If the music is driving me nuts I balance the speakers so that all the sound is coming from the rear.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#40 of 60 Old 01-24-2010, 09:33 AM

I turned DS at 12 months because there weren't any seats that RF above 35 pounds then.
#41 of 60 Old 01-24-2010, 10:22 AM

My son was 4.5 when he was turned forward and is now using a high back booster. He was riding in a Britax Hi-Way (RF to 55 lbs).

His sister is now 3.5 and using the same sweat. She still has plenty of room to grow so she will stay Rf another year or so. Personal preferences are all different , I would personally turn a child forward facing before age 4 since there is such a large safety difference.

The strong recommendation here in Sweden is to keep children rear facing to at least age 4 but preferably longer. Most parents follow this advice.

CarSeat.se - Rear Facing Car Seats ⢠55 lbs Rear Facing Car Seats
Annika: 3.5 years RF Britax Hi-Way ⢠Daniel: 6 years FF Britax Adventure
#42 of 60 Old 01-24-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl View Post
I turned my kids around too early and I regret it. Sure, they're fine today but I was not educated and grateful I wasn't in an accident while they were little.

For those with "car seat screamers" who are still in infant seats, try moving them to a rear-facing convertible. They may be lying back to far, looking at too much ceiling.
I did, too. This would have been back in 2003. I had a car screamer, too. From about 4mos. we simply didn't drive anywhere by ourselves. It became a fairly desperate situation. We bought the best seat at the time, a Britax Marathon, but she still screamed, even sitting up. We bought hook-on toys (which I know you're not supposed to) and she still screamed even though she had some things for entertainment including mirrors to see me. When we would try to go in the car with me driving, just the two of us, she'd scream until she would throw up and I was scared that she would choke - and we travel mostly interstates around here, so it wasn't easy to just pull over. I'd sing and talk to her the whole way. Nope, she was miserable traveling backwards. She did the same thing in a stroller that had her facing me and riding backwards. She's still miserable traveling backwards - rides at amusement parks that go backwards make her throw up even now at nearly 8 yo. It was a combo of not seeing me and motion sickness. When I was back with her, I could distract her from her motion sickness sometimes. Not always, though, which made the situation worse.

I can't claim a lack of education, though. I was completely aware of the benefits of keeping her RF, but turned her at 13 months and 25lbs. because we just couldn't live like that anymore. Not a good excuse and I honestly don't know what I would do if I could do it all over again. Probably do as I did before and turn her and take the calculated risk that I had her in the safest seat made at the time... because I remember we were all just about to go bonkers.

We did keep her 5pt. harnessed until she was about 6 and outgrew the seat (the same Marathon, which was a couple of months away from expiring). She'll be in a booster for several more years, I'm sure. She a long way from 80lbs. and 4'9".
#43 of 60 Old 01-24-2010, 11:59 AM

My first three kids were turned FF at a year because I didn't know any better.

My youngest two - who will be 4 in March and 2 in April - are still RF. My almost 4yo is about 33 lbs with clothes on and his seat (which I'm borrowing from a wonderful mama friend) goes to 40lbs RF so I think he'll be RF quite a bit longer. My almost 2 year old is a peanut at 22lbs so she has years of RF ahead of her!

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#44 of 60 Old 01-24-2010, 12:19 PM

We just turned DS at 23 months and 30 lbs. I'm not that please about this and would have kept him RF longer, but his long legs were always flopping over and kicking his sister and it was unpleasant, to say the least, to have them always fighting back there. (I can't put them on opposite sides bc we need to have room for another booster on the other side.)

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#45 of 60 Old 01-24-2010, 10:07 PM

DD is 18m and 38 lbs dressed and we have a Radian XT. She outgrew her Marathon (33lbs RFing) at 12m and will most likely outgrow the Radian before 2. I wish SO much that Ihad known they were coming out with the XTSL as I would have gotten that one. As it is, I will probably end up selling the Marathon and buying the XTSL and keeping the XT for the new baby (we also have a Snugride for the early days).

Hopefully the XTSL will get us to 3 or 3.5.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#46 of 60 Old 01-24-2010, 10:13 PM

My son rear faced to the maximum weight limit of his seat, 33lbs, at 2 years and 5 months. Another seat was not an option, so he stayed forward facing, otherwise we would have gone longer. DD was a car screamer as well. I turned her, 5 years ago, before the extended rear facing recommendations were widely known, at 12 months. Mostly, that made her better able to throw things at me from the center. It didn't help!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#47 of 60 Old 01-24-2010, 11:11 PM

My 3-year-old is still rear-facing (in a radian XTSL), and will be for at least another year. But for drives on especially curvy backroads, we will turn him FF if he gets carsick (he is prone to carsickness, complete with puking). We started doing this (the flipping to FF) when he was about 18 months old. It does make a difference for him (he is less car sick when FF). Otherwise, he is completely happy to be RF, and since the vast majority of our drives (over 98%) are quick drives around town, he is still mostly RF.

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#48 of 60 Old 01-24-2010, 11:52 PM

Over 24! DD1 went FF full time around 4; she just now at 4.5 hit the limit of our TF.

DD2 will be 3 in March and she'll be RF for at least another year.

CPST & mom

#49 of 60 Old 01-25-2010, 01:23 AM

I voted 24 mo. But, DD is 2.5 yo and is still RFing. From what I can see, she has a lot of RFing time left.... She rides in a Britax Marathon. She has never been a screamer in the car (or anywhere else for that matter) so I can't assist you on that front.

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#50 of 60 Old 01-25-2010, 01:38 AM

DS is almost 17 months, and about 18-19 lbs. He will likely be RF for a few more years.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#51 of 60 Old 01-25-2010, 01:42 PM

We turned DS FF at 20ish months, but only because I could not fit 2 rear facing seats in my car and obviously the new baby needed to be rear facing. We now have a minivan though so I would have kept him RF much longer if that had been the case at the time. I do plan on keeping DD RF'ing as long as possible.

Lindsay - Mum to Logan (May 3, 2007), Graysen (June 26, 2009) and welcoming somebody new in September 2011!
#52 of 60 Old 01-25-2010, 02:50 PM

My oldest was 12 months and 22ish lb as I did not know any better back then (he is 7 now and using a high back booster).
DD (age 4) was just turned last month so we could get a better 3 across fit in our car for the new baby coming any day now. She made it to 4y3m and 28ish lb RF.
New baby DD will be RF as long as she still fits or is at least 4 and expresses a desire to be turned. We have a Graco Snugride for now, and will probably get a Radian when she outgrows that for the 40-45 lb RF limit and high shell.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#53 of 60 Old 01-25-2010, 03:19 PM

I turned my son forward the day after his 1st birthday. I wanted to keep him rear facing for much longer, but he was so uncomfortable. The law here is up till 20lbs and 1 year that have to be rear facing. Well, Asher's been at least 20lbs since he was about 6 months old and he's tall for his age too. He was all scrunched up in his seat. Now that he's turned around he's much more comfortable (and loves that he can actually see what's going on!).

Wife[Corey.Jul07] Mother[Asher.Dec08] ClothDiapering[Dec09]
#54 of 60 Old 01-25-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaA622 View Post
I turned my son forward the day after his 1st birthday. I wanted to keep him rear facing for much longer, but he was so uncomfortable. The law here is up till 20lbs and 1 year that have to be rear facing. Well, Asher's been at least 20lbs since he was about 6 months old and he's tall for his age too. He was all scrunched up in his seat. Now that he's turned around he's much more comfortable (and loves that he can actually see what's going on!).
You should check You Tube videos and should turn your son back around. The AAP recommends 2 yrs now (and CPST's recommend rf/ing for much longer)-the 1yr/20 lbs rule is totally outdated and horribly unsafe for your son.
#55 of 60 Old 01-25-2010, 03:54 PM

Jessica - not to dog on your decision, but I also have a tall big baby - she is 37" tall at 18m and still RFing. IIRC, she was 32.5 lbs and 32" or 33" at 12m. What seat do you have? Some are better than others for RFing as far as comfort goes. Maybe we can help you brainstorm? The way I look at it is that I'd rather have a broken leg (which has actually not been documented that I'm aware of in a crash) than a broken neck/internal decapitation.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#56 of 60 Old 01-27-2010, 12:27 PM

Definitely over 24 months

Toad is almost 3 years, 5 months and he's still rearfacing (at 35ish pounds). He'll stay that way until his birthday in August at least, at which point we'll reevaluate.

Frog will be a year old tomorrow and is 26-27lbs and he's also still rearfacing. I will buy whatever seat I need to buy to keep him rearfacing to four at least as well.

New baby isn't here yet, but will also rearface until at least four unless he/she is exceptionally large and outgrows every seat available before then.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#57 of 60 Old 01-27-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsyj View Post
You should check You Tube videos and should turn your son back around. The AAP recommends 2 yrs now (and CPST's recommend rf/ing for much longer)-the 1yr/20 lbs rule is totally outdated and horribly unsafe for your son.
Yeah. I don't like to mind other people's business, especially since I turned two of my kids before they were two. I mean, who am I to say, right? But recently, while I was researching car seats, I finally got around to watching the crash test videos of rear-facing vs. forward-facing, and I literally couldn't sleep at night afterwards, for fear of what might have happened (and blessedly didn't happen) to my kids. What I saw was that the rear-facing seat absorbed almost the entire force of the crash. The "dummy" child's clothes were barely rumpled, and there was no movement of head or neck or spine. It seemed like if the child had been sleeping at the time of the crash, he would have just kept on blissfully sleeping through the entire experience, without a scratch on him. The forward-facing seat, however, allowed the dummy's head to be thrown forward in a horrible way that I couldn't get out of my mind for days and days. It was haunting. I would seriously recommend watching those videos-- they changed the way I think about car safety.

You can go to You Tube and search for rear-facing car seat or something like that, and the videos come up.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#58 of 60 Old 01-27-2010, 02:12 PM

You need some options that go out longer than that.

My DS is 37 mos and still rearfacing in a Radian XT in our primary vehicle.

Mom to A 11/06: Researching : to grow our family
#59 of 60 Old 01-27-2010, 02:21 PM

41 months rear facing and counting in a My Ride 65!!!

(I didn't vote because my child is still rear-facing and although 24+ is accurate for when she will be turned since she is already over 24 months, 24+ did not seem accurate enough since she'll be at least double that by the time she's turned)

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#60 of 60 Old 01-27-2010, 10:11 PM

DD1 was rf until about 31 months, my 14 month old is still rf and will be until the reaches the max rf weight limit.

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page