When did you turn your LO forward? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: When did you turn your LO forward?
12 months 13 8.72%
13-14 months 12 8.05%
15-16 months 6 4.03%
17-18 months 8 5.37%
19-21 months 12 8.05%
22-24 months 5 3.36%
after 24 months 93 62.42%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-22-2010, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Just wondering...

I know they say to keep them rear facing as long as possible.

my dd is 14 months and easily meets the weight requirements - she hit 20 pounds around 4 months, lol!

She's happy on short trips or if she sleeps the whole way, but on longer trips she's started screaming. A few weeks ago I had a terrible 90 min drive to my sister's when she was screaming almost the whole time. it took me 3 hours instead of 90 min because i kept having to stop. I was the only one in the car and I felt like her screaming was also posing a safety risk because I was focusing on trying to keep her calm instead of focusing on the road.

we have 2 long trips coming up - a 5 hour drive next weekend and a 13 hour drive in March and I'm considering turning her around for just those trips and then keeping her rear facing for shorter trips.

Just wondering when you turned your LO around, and what finally made you go forward facing?

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All three of my kids were car screamers. We turned the first 2 around at 12 months old. The screaming didn't stop. : Now, "they" say 2 years old, so our 12 month old is still rearfacing. Changing carseats and flipping them around didn't stop the older two from screaming so I doubt it would have worked with the 3rd. Our 12 month old will stay rearfacing until she is at least 2.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Old 01-22-2010, 04:51 PM

DS was about 20 months. Not too long afterwe turned him, I heard the new recommendation of keeping them rear facing until the age of 2. If I have another child I will most likely keep them rear facing at least 24 months.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:54 PM

34 months. I was a bit sad not to be able to make it to 3 years, but he had maxed out the rearfacing weight limit.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:58 PM

The American Academy of Pediatrics has recently (and quietly) made a change to its recommendations that generally states that at least 2, and the max weight for your carseat rear facing. For my Britax Roundabout, that's 35 lbs. He'll be RF until 35 lbs.

The current legislation should change to match those recommendations in 2011.

http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellnes...7818004&page=1
Old 01-22-2010, 05:12 PM

I didn't vote because dd is obviously still rf, but there is no way i'd ff her before 24 months. she's tiny so far so i'm thinking it's safe to say we'll rf fer for 3 years.

Married to David since 2/16/08. Baby wearing, breastfeeding, bed sharing, delayed vaxing, cloth diapering, SAHM to Bella, my punctual little girl, born on her due date, 9/3/09
Old 01-22-2010, 05:43 PM

I plan on buying a Radian which RF until 45 lbs. I really hope to RF until a minimum of 3 and would like to go to 4 if possible.

2 is still really young to turn FF,their little cervical spines are not strong enough to withstand the force of a crash. My DS is fine on short trips but on trips longer than an hour, at some point he starts freaking out. I have learned some calming methods for myself and him which includes rest breaks. I will not jeopardize his safety by turning him FF.

I strongly suggest that any parent even thinking about turning a baby FF who is younger than 2/ 2 1/2 to do your research. This is the one parenting decision, IMO that should be non negotiable. It truly can be the difference between life and death. There are crash test videos on you tube that show the differences between FF and RF, check it out.

Mama to one 2 yr. old tornado banana.gif
Old 01-22-2010, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningMomTegan View Post
The American Academy of Pediatrics has recently (and quietly) made a change to its recommendations that generally states that at least 2, and the max weight for your carseat rear facing. For my Britax Roundabout, that's 35 lbs. He'll be RF until 35 lbs.

The current legislation should change to match those recommendations in 2011.

http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellnes...7818004&page=1
Most children outgrow Roundabouts by height before weight -- a rear-facing seat is outgrown when there is less than 1" of hard shell above the child's head.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:47 PM

A was over 3. J is still rearfacing and is 2 1/2.

Live and love with your whole being.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:12 PM

We just purchased a Graco MR 65 and the main reason was to keep our son rf/ing for as long as possible. It goes up to 40 lbs. So I voted 24 mos but plan on keeping him rf'ing much longer.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:13 PM

We just turned our almost 3 year old. We only turned her because 1. the way the seat fit in our new vehicle made it really hard to get her in and 2. we became full time travelers and not being able to see her during our many hours in the truck just wasn't working out. There's no where to mount a mirror. She still has 5 pounds until the weight limit and I would rather had her RF to 35 lbs or perhaps 3.5 yo.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
Old 01-22-2010, 06:20 PM

I wouldn't turn a 14 month old because of screaming b/c chances are, she'll still freak out from time to time in the car. Also, I understand the desire to FF for a long car trip (I did 6 yrs ago when my DS was 16 mos. for a trip to Cali) BUT, the longer you are in the car, the higher the chance of an accident, yk?

To answer the question about when I turned my kids, it varies as I have four and years ago I wasn't as educated about car seat use -- but my youngest will be 3 in March, and we recently turned him around (a couple months ago) as he reached the weight limit of his seat (it is 35 lb, he is now 37 lbs). That said, I worry about it on a daily basis and plan to use some of our tax refund to buy a seat that rear-faces to 45 lbs. Rear-facing until age 4 is ideal, so I would never advocate to turn a barely 1 yr old, 20 lbs or not.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:31 PM

Our 6 year olds were turned FF at 5.5 yo.
Our 4 yo. will probably be between 5 and 6 yo. too when we turn him.
(Yeah, we have those great seats with 55 lbs. rear facing limits and tall shells.)

I'd keep them RF'ing for as long as possible, as far as I know, US has seats that go to 45 lbs. rear facing with pretty tall shells, and that's what I'd use. (Or, actually, I'd import a 55 lbs. RF'ing limit seat from Scandinavia, yes, I know it's not legal, but I would do it anyway because it is so much safer.)
I would never turn a 14 month old FF'ing.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:46 PM

I turned my kids around too early and I regret it. Sure, they're fine today but I was not educated and grateful I wasn't in an accident while they were little.

For those with "car seat screamers" who are still in infant seats, try moving them to a rear-facing convertible. They may be lying back to far, looking at too much ceiling.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl View Post
For those with "car seat screamers" who are still in infant seats, try moving them to a rear-facing convertible. They may be lying back to far, looking at too much ceiling.
I second the idea of adjusting the angle of a RF convertible. DD, almost 12 mos. and barely 20 lbs., will be RF for the forseeable future. If you're considering turning an under 2 (or 3) year old FF, check out some YouTube videos on carseat testing, FF vs. RF. It will make you cry.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:15 PM
MJB

When he reached the weight limit (33 lbs.) at age 2.5.
Had there been 40 lb. limit seats out then, he'd have rear-faced until 4.
New little one will rear-face until at least 40 lbs.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:15 PM

We just turned DD forward last week. She turned 3 in November.

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:56 PM

I turned DD1 at 15 months. I didn't know any better than; thought I was doing right by keeping her rear-facing the extra few months. The information about rear-facing was out there at that time, but not as prevalently as it is now, and I missed it.

I turned DS just before he was 2. That was a hard decision to make, and I'm sure some folks won't agree I did right. I turned him because he has a serious motion sickness problem, and the situation had become unlivable. He throws up on even relatively short trips, and where we live, everything is a long way away. I tried turning him rear-facing again recently and it was a disaster-- the vomiting immediately started up again. He still gets sick when forward-facing, but it takes a lot longer. We can get to the market or to church without needing to bring two extra sets of clothes. Honestly, I worried about damage to his esophagus and his teeth from all the vomiting.

DD2 will be three in two weeks, and is still rear-facing. She'll stay that way until she's too tall or too heavy. She's in a Radian, and she's got awhile to go still.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 01-22-2010, 08:15 PM

My oldest was about 4, my second was 3ish, and #3 and #4 are both still RF at 3 and 15 months, though when we are all in my dh's car (rarely) my 3yo does ride FF.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My oldest was 15 months because his legs were clearly in pain (back then the only seat that would hold him rfing was a MA and the legroom is not very much). My 2nd is still rfing at 2 1/2 and will be until he outgrows the complete air rfing or turns 4 if he wants to be ffing then. Baby girl will be the same.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Old 01-22-2010, 08:37 PM

The AAP has not changed it's reccomendations. It's been reccomending for at least 7 yrs now to rf till the max limits on your seat, w/ the min being 1/20#. I urge parents at events to get to at LEAST 2.

AJ was 11 mos when he went ffing, then went back rfing at 27 mos, and ffing for good at 34 mos.

Evan went ffing at his 4yo birthday b/c he hit 35#. A month before he turned 5, he hasked to go back rfing and since he fit in his seat rfing (he got a new seat), around he went! He's still rfing at 5yrs 1.5 mos.

Ilana is still rfing at 3yrs 2.5 mos. She took her first trip ffing at 2.5yo.

Olivia is only 17# at 11 mos, it'll be a long time before she can even ride ffing!

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 01-22-2010, 08:40 PM

DS is still rearfacing at 2 years old, though he is rapidly approaching the weight limits on his seat, and we may have to turn him soon. :'(

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Old 01-22-2010, 08:51 PM

I turned my DD at 20 months, in part because we got a Honda Element, and it was a PITA to get her into her seat RF because of how far behind the frame the rear bench is placed. Kind of lame, I know, but I thought I had already gone above and beyond keeping her RF that long.

I'm inspired to do better this time.

With #2 we are already game planning about how to deal with the problem...I think we'll have to make it a mandatory maneuver to remove the bucket, strap the baby in, and then place the rig into the base. We have a Safeseat, so that bought us quite a while RF before we got the Marathon, but eventually I'll have to figure out a way to deal with my car with two kids.

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010
Old 01-22-2010, 08:57 PM

With my 8 year old I never heard of rfing past a year old so she went ffing at barely a year old. She also had really bad problems with car sickness while rfing that went away when she was ffing. By the time my 4 year old came along I had heard of the recommendation to rf to the limits of the seat by the AAP although none of the doctors or nps in the practice knew this. He was rfing to the limits of his seat and was turned ffing at about 20 months when he was 35lbs. With ds2 I have no clue when he will be turned ffing. I am fairly sure it will have to be turned ffing for his height long before his weight. At 21 months he is 35" and only 26lbs. His current seat expires in about 18 months, but I doubt he will fit in it by height that long. I'm still looking at car seats to see which seat has the highest shell and how we could make that work in our budget as we will likely need to get 2 in a short amount of time for ds2 and new baby due in April.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
Old 01-22-2010, 10:51 PM

DS1 we originalyturned ~15 months. About 4 or 5 months ago I turned him back RFing and he's happy as a clam. FWIW we turned ~15 months because he'd been screaming since day 1 in the car and we were just tired of it. I honestly dont know if I'd do the same thing today as I did then. I will say that DS2 is a million times happier in the car than DS1 was... except he truelly *hated* the TFP I just got... so I put him in DS1's old EFTA and he's totally happy... so DS1 is in the TFP
Old 01-23-2010, 12:49 AM

after 24

ds is almost 28 months and around 28lbs and still rearfacing. hes in a marathon that goes to 35, and depending on when he hits that, he might get a higher weight rf'ing seat after that

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
Old 01-23-2010, 01:43 AM

My DS is 34 months and is only 33 pounds and in a Complete Air (RF's to 40), so he has a ways to go. I am hoping it gets him to close to 4. I really wanted a Radian, but couldn't get a good install in my car RF'ing so I went with a 40 pound seat once he outgrew his Marathon.

He has ridden FF'ing a couple of times in friends cars, and I am comfortable with him doing that on the very rare occasion if we have to. (Using a friend's car seat, installing his in a car that I have to get his seat in quickly, etc) He rides in only my vehicle about 99.99% of the time though, and has always been RF'ing in there.

I am sort of secretly hoping that I can find a new seat and afford it once I need it when he hits 40 pounds to keep him RF'ing even longer. As long as he doesn't mind, I will keep him that way.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 01-23-2010, 02:54 AM

My ds will RF until at least 4 years of age.
He easily meets the "age/height/weight" requirements to eat at McDonalds, I don't let him do that either.
DD was turned when she maxed out her seat at 31 lbs (it was awhile back when 30 lb rfing seats were more common). I didn't understand then how important RFing is, or I wouldhave bought a diferent seat to continue RFing her.

CPST
Old 01-23-2010, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
EXACTLY 12 months and EXACTLY 20lbs... I remember the day my DD woke up covered in some weird rashwe took her to an urgent care place to have it looked at (turned out she had a reaction too some cheep detergant) anyways they weighed her there she was on the DOT 20lbs and it was her first birthday.. We not knowing any bettter said well whoo hoo we can turn her around and did it on the way home... This was 7 years ago...
Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
Old 01-23-2010, 11:07 AM

My 1st was just after 1yr when she finally reached 20lbs. That was 9 yrs ago & I didnt know how much safer rfing was. Ds was 3 in Sep & is still happily rfing (will prob make it to 4yo w/his growth) Dd2 is still rfing. I think 2yo is to young for ffing.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

User Tag List