how dangerous is scratched teflon on cookware - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 01-30-2010, 02:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
That's b/c they don't know how to use them. If you flip the burner's grate over they work just fine. The best places too find uncoated woks are either at asian markets or restaurant supply stores.
You'll have to come show me how that works with an electric cooktop. LOL.

Seriously, I'm not completely convinced about Cook's Illustrated's recommendation to not use a wok. I'd like to try flipping the grate over on a gas stove, but my kitchen is unfortunately electric. I think my own stir fries have improved, but it's as much about learning to use very high heat and peanut oil as it is about giving up the wok for a frying pan (I *just* made a garlic chicken stir fry with my heavy cast iron frying pan. Yummy.)
#32 of 44 Old 01-30-2010, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunita1 View Post
You'll have to come show me how that works with an electric cooktop. LOL.
Yeah, it only works on gas.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#33 of 44 Old 01-30-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannymom View Post
From everything I have read they are very unsafe once scratched even slightly. I recently replaced the majority of mine. Beware when purchasing stainless steel often pans claiming to be stainless steel contain aluminum.
Eek, how can you tell if it's the "right" kind of stainless steel then? I am about to buy a few pots/pans and was going to look at TJMaxx,etc. If it says on the pot/pan 18/8 SS or something like that is it okay? What if it doesn't say anything?

One time I was looking in TJMaxx at the pots and pans and there were some really nice, high-end looking (and higher priced) SS ones, but they weren't marked in any way saying exactly what they were, so how to know?

Quote:
If you read Our Stolen Future, you will understand the dangers of teflon (scratched or not.) There are terrifying studies that show most of us have measurable amounts of teflon in our bodies.

I know the idea of replacing an entire cabinet full of cook ware sounds outrageously expensive, but getting a few essential pieces isn't that hard. How much cook ware do you really use? I know that for a frying pan/skillet it is hard to find non-teflon without going into higher end stuff, but for things like sauce pans it is pretty easy. Though I do own more than this, I would say 99% of the time I only use my 3 sauce pans, one of my big pots, a stainless steel frying pan and my cast iron frying pan. That's just 6 that I use on a regular basis.

For bake ware, I mostly have pyrex. It's also is useful for storage and microwaving. It's pretty inexpensive.
What brand are your SS pots and large pan?

Quote:
A cast iron frying pan is a terrific, inexpensive addition to your kitchen. I use mine, along with my big enameled cast iron dutch oven, ALL the time. I don't know what I did without them.
I have heard that enameled cast iron is good. What kind do you have? How do you know which ones are the best or are safe? I remember Dr Mercola's site selling some at one point, but how to know, again?
#34 of 44 Old 01-30-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
The logo on the bottom of the frying pan is Tools of The Trade and one of the sauce pans is Farberware. None of the others are marked. I have had them a long long time though, so I don't know if they are still made. One of the joys of a pot/pan without nonstick coatings is that there is nothing to where off so they last forever. My dad still has pots my parents got when they got married over 40 years ago.

#35 of 44 Old 01-31-2010, 12:41 PM

Yeah, see that's why I think it is worth it to invest in good quality cookware. But, can you tell it's SS just by looking at it? For example, after reading this thread, I checked one of my TJMaxx pots that I use all the time, and it is Calphalon, and looks SS, but it doesn't say anything on it, like 18/8 or anything.

Oh, you know, now I think I remember something over in the Allergies forum about putting a magnet on it to test it. But I don't remember if you do it on the inside or outside, or if it matters, and I don't remember if you want the magnet to stick or not stick! I'm no help! LOL. I'll go check over there!
#36 of 44 Old 01-31-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Eek, how can you tell if it's the "right" kind of stainless steel then? I am about to buy a few pots/pans and was going to look at TJMaxx,etc. If it says on the pot/pan 18/8 SS or something like that is it okay? What if it doesn't say anything?

One time I was looking in TJMaxx at the pots and pans and there were some really nice, high-end looking (and higher priced) SS ones, but they weren't marked in any way saying exactly what they were, so how to know?

I have heard that enameled cast iron is good. What kind do you have? How do you know which ones are the best or are safe? I remember Dr Mercola's site selling some at one point, but how to know, again?
FWIW, as I posted above there isn't any reliable research that shows any dangers in using aluminum cookware. From a cookware/quality perspective, the very best pots are the ones that have an aluminum core sandwiched between two layers of stainless steel. They'll advertise this on the packaging, because it is a big sign of quality and a selling point. It eliminates "hot spots" and makes things cook very evenly. Even if you want to avoid aluminum exposure despite the research that says it is okay, I would think that the aluminum core is so sandwiched/sealed inside the stainless that it wouldn't be a real source of aluminum exposure. Costco's Kirkland signature brand set is excellent, but I have mostly farberware stuff, and one martha stewart SS pot from K-mart that is really nice.

My cast iron skillet and enameled dutch oven are both lodge logic -- it's the "budget" version of the super nice, super pricey le creuset that I can't afford.
#37 of 44 Old 01-31-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
. One of the joys of a pot/pan without nonstick coatings is that there is nothing to where off so they last forever. My dad still has pots my parents got when they got married over 40 years ago.
Ditto. I have some Sears brand pots and pans from my mom that are as old. SOOO different from the cheap non-stick skillets I replaced every other year or so before wising up.
#38 of 44 Old 01-31-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I checked one of my TJMaxx pots that I use all the time, and it is Calphalon, and looks SS, but it doesn't say anything on it, like 18/8 or anything.
a calphalon pot is likely "tri-ply", with a layer of aluminum sandwiched/sealed between two layers of stainless on the bottom. I think their stainless pots have two layers of 18/10 stainless and one of aluminum.
#39 of 44 Old 01-31-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
FWIW, as I posted above there isn't any reliable research that shows any dangers in using aluminum cookware.
When you consider how much evidence that there is that teflon is bad for us, I'll take aluminum over it any day. I wouldn't be surprised if a few of my un-marked pots were aluminum. I'm sure some of my dad's are. My mom always just told me not to cook anything very acidic, such as cranberry sauce, in them.

Magnets will stick to a stainless steel pot. The better they stick the higher the steel content/thicker the SS layer. It should stick on either the outside or the inside, but if it only sticks to one side then the other side has a very thick layer of something.

#40 of 44 Old 01-31-2010, 03:03 PM

What about the cheapo SS set at Target?

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#41 of 44 Old 02-01-2010, 12:20 AM

Don't forget about stoneware for baking. My favorite is Le Cresuet. You can easily find it at TJMaxx and Home Goods. Marshalls also usually has a few pieces. All under $24.99-and that would be for a big piece. Also, at TJMaxx I saw stoneware cupcake bakers.

~*Heather*~
Wife to J 9/00 Mama to K 12/05
#42 of 44 Old 02-01-2010, 11:58 AM

It's not just aluminum though, it can be other things too. I just checked back in the allergies forum from where I remembered the discussion about testing our pots and pans, and they were talking about nickel. So, if the magnet falls off, it might be high nickel, which, for those worried about high metals issues, would want to avoid. So I guess the magnet is the test then, but I still don't know how to tell if it's marked. What markings mean SS?

About the stoneware, does anyone know about those, if there are any issues with metals or contaminants in the clay used for those? I have a Pampered chef baking bowl and plate thingy that I used to love to do a roasted chicken on, but I have avoided using it due to not knowing that. I tried contacting the PC people and never got a knowledgeable, competent answer. Just basically a shrug the shoulders type response, like basically they didn't know.
#43 of 44 Old 02-01-2010, 12:45 PM

Not all stainless steel is magnetic, it depends on the nickel content of the stainless steel. Non-magnetic stainless steel has a higher nickel content. And yes, there is both magnetic and non-magnetic stainless steel cookware available. Non-magnetic can't be used on induction cooktops and as I mentioned earlier, also has a higher nickel content. I've read that nickel can accumulate in the kidneys and cause kidney damage but can't find my reference on that right now so this would be something to investigate if people were concerned about a higher level of nickel exposure in their stainless pans.

Also, if you want to ensure you have magnetic stainless steel, you want to make sure test the inside of your cookware as that is where your food touches. Because, yes it's possible to have one type of stainless steel on the exterior and a different type on the interior. So, a person may decide they are fine with their cookware that is non-magnetic stainless on the exterior but magnetic stainless on the interior, unless of course they use induction where non-magnetic won't work.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#44 of 44 Old 02-02-2010, 09:23 PM

Hey everyone This topic intrigues me! Especially since I've got a nonstick electric skillet (no scratches!) that I have to do all of my cooking in (with the exception of a toaster oven and a microwave, and I'm trying not to use the microwave). Anywho- we don't have a stove or a real "kitchen" (temp. living arrangements). Could anyone recommend a good stainless steel electric skillet that won't kill my wallet?

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page