how dangerous is scratched teflon on cookware - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 01-24-2010, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
... really?

would it be worth it to convert to all stainless steel given the expense, or should I just replace teflon pots and pans when they get (badly) scratched?

thanks.

read.gif WOH wife to heartbeat.gif, mother to myviolin.gif 8yo and one cat.gif who thinks he's a dog2.gif

#2 of 44 Old 01-24-2010, 01:01 PM

I say replace as they get scratched.

I have never been a fan of nonstick- have 1 Teflon pan only, for eggs- but I certainly wouldn't trash functional cookwear if that is what I had. I am sure you aren't broiling in Teflon, or baking @ 500 degrees.

I don't know if I would wait for them to become badly scratched, though.

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#3 of 44 Old 01-24-2010, 07:20 PM

From everything I have read they are very unsafe once scratched even slightly. I recently replaced the majority of mine. Beware when purchasing stainless steel often pans claiming to be stainless steel contain aluminum.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#4 of 44 Old 01-24-2010, 07:26 PM

It can poison your food over time. Definitely throw it out and invest in good stainless steel. If you must have Teflon, get 1 10" pan and treat it like a newborn baby.

wild.gifCrazy Chef-in-training baking wife(27) of geek.gif (32) mother of 2 energy.gif 11-21-03 & 9 - 13 - 07

#5 of 44 Old 01-24-2010, 07:31 PM

http://www.ewg.org/reports/toxicteflon

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#6 of 44 Old 01-24-2010, 08:43 PM

I'd replace it as quickly as I could with stainless steel and cast iron. SS w/ aluminum core is just fine - it actually makes for a better more even heating pan You just don't want the aluminum on outside touching your food
#7 of 44 Old 01-24-2010, 10:00 PM

We were fortunate that my step mother gave us a set of stainless for a Christmas gift two years ago, letting us pitch all our teflon stuff. She picked up a set for each of us kids at Kohl's, something like this, for around $120 or so. In the end, it's probably cheaper than replacing one at a time, but that's exactly what we were doing before she bought us the set. I wouldn't panic, if it's out of your price range to replace them all, but it might not be quite as pricey as you fear!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#8 of 44 Old 01-25-2010, 01:29 AM

Wow. I never knew any of this, and I know my non-stick pans are scratched a ton. Crud. But there's no way I can replace it with stainless steel on our budget. I have one cast iron frying pan and the rest is the cheapest teflon pan set from Walmart about 6 years ago. I wonder if I can look at them piece by piece and watch sales at Kohl's or something?

nature and art loving homeschooling mom to a half-dozen little treasures.
#9 of 44 Old 01-27-2010, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiebird View Post
Wow. I never knew any of this, and I know my non-stick pans are scratched a ton. Crud. But there's no way I can replace it with stainless steel on our budget. I have one cast iron frying pan and the rest is the cheapest teflon pan set from Walmart about 6 years ago. I wonder if I can look at them piece by piece and watch sales at Kohl's or something?
I'd say make good use of your cast iron pan. If properly cleaned and seasoned, it can do eggs

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#10 of 44 Old 01-27-2010, 06:59 AM

There are some non-toxic pans. Because no matter how hard I try, there are just some things you can't cook in a stainless skillet. I'm not sure if the non-toxic ones are any better than regular teflon, but I'll believe they are.
#11 of 44 Old 01-27-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
I'd look at replacing your most used pieces first. I have one cast-iron frying pan, and two stainless sauce pans (small and large) and that's pretty much all I ever use, and I cook a lot. I wouldn't worry about a set, since you already have a frying pan I'd look into a sauce pan in whatever size you use most. Then you can expand slowly as you can afford to.

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#12 of 44 Old 01-27-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post
I'd say make good use of your cast iron pan. If properly cleaned and seasoned, it can do eggs
I do eggs in mine every morning!

blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#13 of 44 Old 01-28-2010, 01:53 AM

What about non-stick bakeware? I have all stainless steel stovetop cookware (saucepans, frypans, etc...) but a lot of my bakeware (jelly roll pans, muffin pans) is non-stick. Do I need to be worrying about using the non-stick? What would be an alternative for say, muffin pans? (It's all Calphalon brand, if that makes a difference.)
#14 of 44 Old 01-28-2010, 04:40 AM

If you read Our Stolen Future, you will understand the dangers of teflon (scratched or not.) There are terrifying studies that show most of us have measurable amounts of teflon in our bodies.

I know the idea of replacing an entire cabinet full of cook ware sounds outrageously expensive, but getting a few essential pieces isn't that hard. How much cook ware do you really use? I know that for a frying pan/skillet it is hard to find non-teflon without going into higher end stuff, but for things like sauce pans it is pretty easy. Though I do own more than this, I would say 99% of the time I only use my 3 sauce pans, one of my big pots, a stainless steel frying pan and my cast iron frying pan. That's just 6 that I use on a regular basis.

For bake ware, I mostly have pyrex. It's also is useful for storage and microwaving. It's pretty inexpensive.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#15 of 44 Old 01-28-2010, 10:21 AM

For bakeware, I have some glass (pyrex) and some silicone. Cast iron and stainless steel are also options for most bakeware. I would consider those secondary though, because I use them very infrequently. I still have a few nonstick pieces but plan to replace them at some point. I use my frying pan daily and I bake like 1-2x/month. (Except bread, but I just do bread on a pizza stone)

#16 of 44 Old 01-28-2010, 10:36 AM

Check tjmaxx or marshalls for good prices on cookware. I found great deals on stuff there the other day in the kitchen department.
#17 of 44 Old 01-28-2010, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu the Geek View Post
Ugh, very scary. Thanks everyone.

I already have stainless pots, its fryingpans that I have with teflon coating in various sizes, and I do use them a lot. I guess I will think of replacing them sooner rather than later as they start to scratch.

But another question arises - why should aluminium not come into contact with food? I freezer cook and do a lot of storage in these, or similar containers:

http://www.cuki.com/conservacuoce-va...operchi-1.html

It says on the instructions not to use them with acidic foods so if i have tomatoes, lemon, etc in my dishes I won't but otherwise I find them very convenient. Why is allumnium dangerous?

thanks again.

read.gif WOH wife to heartbeat.gif, mother to myviolin.gif 8yo and one cat.gif who thinks he's a dog2.gif

#18 of 44 Old 01-28-2010, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
aluminum affectza the nervous system, for one

just FYI for everyone...a few yrs back i got a set of SS cookware from walmart for about $18 or 19. just upgraded to a much nicer set for $129 and the old ones will be put away for camping.

Bring back the old MDC
#19 of 44 Old 01-28-2010, 11:39 PM

I'm afraid they really do seem to be unsafe. I think it's much worse when they have liquid cooked in them, than something baked in them and at least with baking you have the option to use baking parchement as a barrier.

I try to use pans that are one solid material, rather than coated, if you have a good pan, they last, may come with a lifetime or 25 year guarantee and if you make smart choices (though this does depend on your family size), you need less pans than you think. I could manage with 2 pans if I had to, a saucepan for pasta/potatoes/stews etc and a wok for anything involving frying.

Cast iron is too heavy for me if I need to drain something, but I have one pan I try to use as much as possible, to make sure we all get enough iron - it seems to be working my doctor was amazed how good mine was 6mths post partum. The great thing about cast iron is older can actually be better, because of the need to "prime" the pan, so look out for them in 2nd hand stores!

Anne, Christian mummy to Nathanael 05/28/03, Ada 06/10/05, Grace 05/24/09
#20 of 44 Old 01-28-2010, 11:57 PM

I have cast iron muffin pans and aluminum cookie sheets. Someday I plan on upgradeing to stainles steel cookie sheets. At point at least though, I do minimal baking on them, and thus try not to worry too much. Someday I'll have SS though!!
#21 of 44 Old 01-28-2010, 11:58 PM

I find cast iron fry pans and Visions glass cookware at Goodwill around here

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#22 of 44 Old 01-29-2010, 02:23 AM

are there any bread bakers out there?

Do the stainless steal loaf pans burn the bread??

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#23 of 44 Old 01-29-2010, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post

Mine do, but I have to add that my oven is really crappy and I think that has something to do with it.

For cast iron, just don't wash it with soap. I know it seems gross, but I always just remind myself that it's getting really hot, and if all the food is scraped off then bacteria won't have anywhere to grow. I also use salt as a scrubber on my cast iron sometimes.

I want to second or third the Marshall's/TJMaxx/Ross suggestion. I have a couple of VERY nice pans that were there with loose handles and no lids. They were less than $10 each.

I just wanted to add that my dd got a parakeet about a year ago, and we read in the "caring for parakeets" book that preheating non-stick cookware could produce fumes that would kill parakeets. The proverbial "parakeet in the kitchen", if you will.

Mommy to kids

#24 of 44 Old 01-29-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post

Yes, ime, but cast iron/enamel works well. If you're not super picky about shape, silicone works too. The SS pans might work ok for some doughs, but I use the no-knead dough recipe and it's SUPER wet so it tends to stick to things....

#25 of 44 Old 01-29-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGirls View Post
I'd look at replacing your most used pieces first. I have one cast-iron frying pan, and two stainless sauce pans (small and large) and that's pretty much all I ever use, and I cook a lot. I wouldn't worry about a set, since you already have a frying pan I'd look into a sauce pan in whatever size you use most. Then you can expand slowly as you can afford to.
Hmmm. I'll have to see what I end up using the most. Probably my dutch oven and my really deep frying pan.

I use my Wok a lot and I've only seen that in non-stick around here.

nature and art loving homeschooling mom to a half-dozen little treasures.
#26 of 44 Old 01-29-2010, 09:33 AM

I have a stainless steel Wok. I got it at Walmart, and they are very inexpensive. It was like $10 I think.

#27 of 44 Old 01-29-2010, 10:40 AM

I have pyrex/glass loaf pans and they work great. I've considerd looking into a cast iron loaf pan, but SS cookie sheets are much higher on my proveribial 'list'
#28 of 44 Old 01-29-2010, 03:53 PM

Pyrex loaf pans work fabulously! Plus, you can see the outside of the bread & tell if it happens to be burning.

What chaps my buns is that I purposely registered for a ss cookware set for my bridal shower. Well, wouldn't you know it, the pots and the giant pan are ss, but the two small pans are coated in non-stick! Wtf, the company made the exact same set in non-stick, why would they coat the dang pans in a ss set??? I guess I'll have to put a small ss pan on my birthday list as both small pans are scratched :/

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#29 of 44 Old 01-29-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Hmmm. I'll have to see what I end up using the most. Probably my dutch oven and my really deep frying pan.

I use my Wok a lot and I've only seen that in non-stick around here.
Cook's illustrated (cooking bible, kind of like the Consumer Reports of cooking) actually recommends using a frying pan (uh, or is it a sautee pan???) instead of a wok for stir-fry type meals, as it works better on American-type cooking surfaces. Try a stainless steel or cast iron frying pan to substitute for the non-stick wok.

A cast iron frying pan is a terrific, inexpensive addition to your kitchen. I use mine, along with my big enameled cast iron dutch oven, ALL the time. I don't know what I did without them.

Also, FWIW, any alzheimers or neuro link to aluminum cookware has been pretty much debunked. I use uncoated aluminum bakeware/cookie sheets and my grandma's Gaurdian Service (heavy cast aluminum pots) without any worries. I think they're a A link to the Alzheimer's Association's website http://www.alz.org/news_and_events_a...02-02-2005.asp
#30 of 44 Old 01-29-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunita1 View Post
Cook's illustrated (cooking bible, kind of like the Consumer Reports of cooking) actually recommends using a frying pan (uh, or is it a sautee pan???) instead of a wok for stir-fry type meals, as it works better on American-type cooking surfaces.
That's b/c they don't know how to use them. If you flip the burner's grate over they work just fine. The best places too find uncoated woks are either at asian markets or restaurant supply stores.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page