Question about rear facing seats and tethers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-26-2010, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I own a Britax Marathon and use it rear facing using the tether as suggested in the manual. I recently also got a Safety 1st Air Protect (www.safety1st.com/airprotect) which recommends you do NOT use the tether while rear facing. I find this confusing?! Does anyone know why this is?
#2 of 7 Old 01-26-2010, 02:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Because the air protect is either 1) not tested with a rfing tether or 2) tested and failed. I'm guessing most likely #1. But there is no way for the consumer to know how it would work in a crash if tethered, and you'd have to make your child a crash test dummy to find out!

The only seats that allow rfing tethering are the Britax seats and the Radian.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 7 Old 01-26-2010, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
Because the air protect is either 1) not tested with a rfing tether or 2) tested and failed. I'm guessing most likely #1. But there is no way for the consumer to know how it would work in a crash if tethered, and you'd have to make your child a crash test dummy to find out!

The only seats that allow rfing tethering are the Britax seats and the Radian.
Does this make it less safe having the seat untethered? I ask b/c we plan on using both seat, one in my vehicle and the other in dh's . I really like the safety 1st one too, and so does my son. He seems to really have a lot more room rear facing in it as well. When I phoned their customer service they just said that it was the way their seat was made and that it needed to be able to move in a crash.
#4 of 7 Old 01-26-2010, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There are no standards for testing rfing tethers. There may be a small safety difference, but it's not proven and it's not significant. I personally have my son in the same seat and have no qualms about it being untethered rfing. Rfing is so much safer anyways.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#5 of 7 Old 01-28-2010, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
There are no standards for testing rfing tethers. There may be a small safety difference, but it's not proven and it's not significant. I personally have my son in the same seat and have no qualms about it being untethered rfing. Rfing is so much safer anyways.
Thanks so much. It makes me feel better. I do prefer this seat to our other.
#6 of 7 Old 01-29-2010, 01:38 AM

Quote:
There are no standards for testing rfing tethers. There may be a small safety difference, but it's not proven and it's not significant.
Weeeell, that's not exactly true.

From the CPS enclyclopedia:

Quote:
As larger and heavier infants are carried rear-facing, the chance of an infant's head hitting a hard part of the vehicle is greater. Tethering a rear-facing convertible CR to the floor can reduce the risk of head and facial injuries in rear and side crashes by reducing head excursion.
Rear facing tethers is a pretty controversial topic not only among CPSTs, but also among researchers and car seat manufacturers. I find it very interesting that in the ~3 years that I have been referencing the RF tether section of the CPS encyclopedia, it has changed pretty significantly. It used to say that RF tethering didn't hurt in RF crashes and is pretty great in side impacts, and now it says the above. Pretty fascinating read, really, if you read the whole RF tether section. It describes the 2 schools of thought on the issue

CPST & mom

#7 of 7 Old 01-29-2010, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I consider rear-facing to be more important than rear-facing tethering -- because the Complete Air has a higher rear-facing weight capacity, a taller shell, and significantly more rear-facing leg room than the Marathon, I would use it RFing despite the lack of tether.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page