Safest spot in car for newborn when the middle is not available - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-26-2010, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I already have a rear facing toddler and am soon to have a newborn too. I have a Grand Am so both car seats will have to be beside the doors. Does it matter which child is behind the driver or passenger? The whole situation makes me feel uncomfortable. We were supposed to get a bigger vehicle but now it's not possible due to finances.
#2 of 6 Old 01-26-2010, 02:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
No, there is very little difference in safety between the outboard positions (if any).

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 6 Old 01-26-2010, 02:34 AM

No, it doesn't matter, go by whichever works out to be more convenient for you.
For example, do the infant and toddler carseats takeup different amounts of room? If so, which seat in the front do they best fit behind, driver or passenger?
Or, what is most convenient for loading and unloading? For example, it's easier for me to have my baby directly behind me, so I don't have to walk aorund to the passenger side of the car to load him, then walk around to my side to get in..I can just load him in, then hop in the front.

CPST
#4 of 6 Old 01-27-2010, 05:01 PM

I'm not sure why you can't put one in the middle?

I found it easiest at the beginning to have the RF'ing baby behind me and the FF'ing toddler in the middle. I also felt this was the safest considering that the toddler was more vulnerable by FF'ing and behind the driver is less likely to be involved in a collision for the RF'ing baby.

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#5 of 6 Old 01-27-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzy View Post

There are sometimes installation difficulties with the middle seat.

CPST
#6 of 6 Old 01-28-2010, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzy View Post

I found it easiest at the beginning to have the RF'ing baby behind me and the FF'ing toddler in the middle. I also felt this was the safest considering that the toddler was more vulnerable by FF'ing and behind the driver is less likely to be involved in a collision for the RF'ing baby.

I really don't see how I would be able to put the seats side by side in our car, the seats are so big and there is so little room. I also think that it might be better to have my toddler not right beside the baby as my toddler currently beats up his older brother in the car.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page