Britax carseats too big for newborns? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 02-05-2010, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When sitting in the store, Olivia was even w/ the bottom slots on the MA at 9 mos, Ilana was 10 mos. She moved to the 2nd slots at 16 mos though.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#32 of 43 Old 02-06-2010, 01:27 PM

DS, who was born at 9lbs and was 27lbs by a year, but has a short torso only just fit over the bottom slot at 13 months!

The whole "Britax is the best" thing is really getting to me this week. There was a woman on our local for sale board who was begging for a Britax - crashed, expired, whatever, because "Britax is safer"

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#33 of 43 Old 02-07-2010, 02:20 PM

DD moved to her Marathon from a SnugRide around 10 months. She is very tall and thin (unlike her parents!), with a long torso/short legs. Now, at 16.5 months, she is just barely tall enough to move to the second lowest strap slot from the bottom. I don't see how a shorter height or shorter torsoed baby would be able to fit in a Marathon until at least a year.

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

#34 of 43 Old 02-07-2010, 09:33 PM

I wanted to say that there are some babies that can fit in a Britax at a younger age as well. My daughter went into a Marathon at four months and my son at one month. I think they are nice comfy seats and we have had four of them. I will say that I recommended a Radian to my sister who wants to use a convertible from birth though.
Oh, and my daughter just outgrew that Marathon at the age of 5.
#35 of 43 Old 02-07-2010, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
There are always kids at the outside edge of the size/shape ranges -- my almost-8yo still fits in a Radian harnessed. But *most* newborns won't fit Britaxes and *most* 8yos won't fit Radians.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#36 of 43 Old 02-07-2010, 10:00 PM

#37 of 43 Old 02-07-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
I agree: I don't think very many child passenger safety advocates would consider Britax convertibles "favorites". They don't fit newborns, they don't get most kids to safe booster age/size, they don't have a high rear-facing capacity (height or weight), they don't have a high forward-facing capacity (height), and test results definitely don't support their reputation as "the best".
The other thing that kills britax for me are the chemical ratings.

I understand that it goes carseat safety FIRST, but with so many options on the market, including chemical safety is easy to do without sacrificing car safety.

IIRC many of the Britax seats and fabric options hit the "red" warning level on healthystuff.org.

DD was over 11lbs and 21 inches at birth and she did not fit into a Britax. I know b/c at the time I also believed Britax was best and we popped her into the seat at the store. It didn't fit so we stuck w/ the infant carrier.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#38 of 43 Old 02-07-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoestoShow View Post
I really don't understand the Britax hate. We have a Roundabout, and the straps were very much at the right height when we brought him home from the hospital. He's now well over 25 lbs and I forget exactly what his length is at this point, but he's well above average. There's no end to RF in sight with it unless he shoots up another foot overnight.
It's not hate. I have helped hundreds of families with hundreds of carseats. Britax convertibles almost never fit newborns properly and have some of the shortest harnesses and shells in their classes (Roundabout/Diplomat compared to other 40# seats, Marathon/Boulevard/Decathlon compared to other 65# seats).

It may very well be that a certain family has a child who has an extraordinarily long torso at birth and an extraordinarily short torso at age 4, and can therefore use a Roundabout from birth to age 4 -- but the odds are most definitely against it, and that's why the seats aren't generally recommended.

#39 of 43 Old 02-11-2010, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

This thread has been really helpful. My first prenatal was yesterday and there's a target in mw town, so I actually got to see a few of these in person. What I saw: Britax marathon, my ride 65, another evenflo?, scenera (did not like at all), and ???
Of the mr65, 2nd evenflo, and the other I can't remember, I liked the looks of the my65 best. the other two were a bit thicker/bulkier, and the 65 was slightly less. When packing a bunch of kiddos into the car, it makes a difference, lol. I liked the prices, too. It looks as if I can pay out less than 200$ and still get a great seat that'll last til college! Well, maybe not college...

I know my references above are sketchy. I just had a few minutes and am planning on researching a bit more before making a final cut. I'd like to hit a BabiesRUs because they'll let you hook it into your car, see how it fits.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#40 of 43 Old 02-11-2010, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

This thread has been really helpful. My first prenatal was yesterday and there's a target in mw town, so I actually got to see a few of these in person. I liked the prices, too. It looks as if I can pay out less than 200$ and still get a great seat that'll last til college! Well, maybe not college...

I just had a few minutes and am planning on researching a bit more before making a final cut. I'd like to hit a BabiesRUs because they'll let you hook it into your car, see how it fits.

``````````````````````````````

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#41 of 43 Old 02-12-2010, 11:03 AM

I've heard that the Radian's are not good for infants simply because they have less of a recline...and it's not as comfortable for an infant with no head control. They have a recline feature when forward facing, but not rear facing. (Note...I've read this in reviews, I haven't had an infant in a Radian to verify.)

As for Britax, our kids all fit well in the Britax Roundabout (smaller than Marathon) from about 4 months on. But as infants, we used a Graco Snugride (infant carseat).

This time around, we're looking at the Graco My Ride and First Years True Fit.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#42 of 43 Old 02-12-2010, 11:21 AM

RFing Radians are *extremely* reclined -- it's difficult in many cars to get them more upright for an older baby.

The bottom slots of the Roundabout are the same as the Marathon -- 10". It is a rare baby that has a 10" seat-to-shoulder measurement (straps must be below baby's shoulders when rear-facing), because even a 24" newborn has legs and a head!

#43 of 43 Old 02-12-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
This thread has been really helpful. My first prenatal was yesterday and there's a target in mw town, so I actually got to see a few of these in person. What I saw: Britax marathon, my ride 65, another evenflo?, scenera (did not like at all), and ???
Of the mr65, 2nd evenflo, and the other I can't remember, I liked the looks of the my65 best. the other two were a bit thicker/bulkier, and the 65 was slightly less. When packing a bunch of kiddos into the car, it makes a difference, lol. I liked the prices, too. It looks as if I can pay out less than 200$ and still get a great seat that'll last til college! Well, maybe not college...
The MyRide65 is a very nice seat, but it's not especially narrow. It fits most newborns nicely, and will get some kids (depending on overall size and shape) but not all to a safe booster age/size. (It will almost certainly be outgrown by height -- shoulders above top strap settings -- rather than by weight.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page