Melamine Dishes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-10-2010, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh! If it's not one things, it's another. I just realized today that the bowls and plates I use to feed my 2 year old DS are made of melamine. I never microwave them or put them in the dishwasher, but he always eats off of them, especially a lot of pasta with tomato sauce that apparently can cause leaching? I have just been reading about it and now my head is pounding. I feel like I try my hardest to be safe, but I turn around and something else I am doing is unhealthy. Guess that is what I get for picking up the cheap and cute Target plates for him. : (
#2 of 10 Old 02-10-2010, 11:50 PM

How did you figure out they have malamine? I just threw out my pots and pans that are Teflon, opting for cast iron because of the carcinogens and I feel the same way that one thing or another is endangering or potentially endangering our health. I don't even know about melamine! Please educate me...

Drew, mom to Ben (1-7-08), expecting another wonderful babe 4-1-10 via .
#3 of 10 Old 02-11-2010, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

The bottom of the plates I had had melanine imprinted on the bottom. I am certainly no expert when it comes to it, but I do know that it was the culprit in the milk fatalities in China a few years ago and in the pet food incident from 2007? Apparently, the resin, which is made with formaldehyde (!) is what is made into plates, bowls and etc for kids. I also read that when the plates come into contact with acidic foods like tomato sauce and pizza that is when leaching of toxins can occur. I am not a scientist by any stretch, but just reading this scares me. of course, I feed my DS off of those plates ALL the time...including pizza and tomato sauce. Now they are tossed and he is eating off of my Fiesta ware.
#4 of 10 Old 02-11-2010, 02:22 PM

This is an issue I'm only just learning about. Does anybody know how to recognize whether a children's dish or bowl is made of this material?

I have some children's dishes made out of #5 plastic, and then some others that are like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Sleeping-Beaut...909087&sr=8-19

Are either of those the ones we're talking about?

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#5 of 10 Old 02-11-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
I have some children's dishes made out of #5 plastic, and then some others that are like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Sleeping-Beaut...909087&sr=8-19

Are either of those the ones we're talking about?
Yes, that plate and bowl are melamine. The cup is not.
Check this out too.
#6 of 10 Old 02-11-2010, 03:17 PM

You can tell melamine b/c it is a hard white plastic. We use a mix of melamine and #5 plastic for plates and bowls.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#7 of 10 Old 02-11-2010, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm confused ... I thought the main issue with the melamine/formula issue was that it was a non-food substance being put in food. Not nutritious, bad for internal organs, but so is eating ground glass or ceramic. I wasn't aware that it was poisonous for daily use if not exposed to high temperatures.

DD 2/08
#8 of 10 Old 02-11-2010, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh..so I guess I can be certain I have been umknowingly poisioning my DS with formaldehyde since he has eaten his cereal with milk, his pasta and meatballs, you name it out of the bowls and dishes. What now? How do I reverse any damage that may have been done?
#9 of 10 Old 02-11-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariesMama View Post
I'm confused ... I thought the main issue with the melamine/formula issue was that it was a non-food substance being put in food. Not nutritious, bad for internal organs, but so is eating ground glass or ceramic. I wasn't aware that it was poisonous for daily use if not exposed to high temperatures.
:
#10 of 10 Old 02-16-2010, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariesMama View Post
Melamine is made of both melamine and formaldehyde. According to the article I linked to above, "This week, health officials in Indonesia ran tests of 62 samples of melamine plates, bowls, spoons and forks. The head of the country’s Food and Drug Monitoring Agency said that “30 of them released formaldehyde when used for anything hot, watery or acidic,” the Jakarta Globe reported." So it seems any foods that are hot, wet or acidic can cause the formaldehyde to leach from the dishes. Problem is, you can't tell which melamine dishes will allow the leaching and which won't.

My solution: Use none.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page