The best carseat for the lowest price... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-11-2010, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a friend that's about to have a baby. She doesn't have a carseat, and her sister has asked if I would go in on one for her.

What is the SAFEST and least expensive model?

HELP!

(I have big kids and am WAY out of the carseat loop, and don't have time to figure out the mind boggling information.)
#2 of 5 Old 02-11-2010, 06:33 PM

Are you looking for an infant seat (ie baby carrier) or a convertible (will last much longer - possibly until the baby is 6 or so, but you can't carry baby in it)?

For a convertible I'd look at a Graco MyRide, or a True Fit, or maybe an Evenflo Triumph Advanced.

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#3 of 5 Old 02-11-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcelain Interior View Post
I have a friend that's about to have a baby. She doesn't have a carseat, and her sister has asked if I would go in on one for her.

What is the SAFEST and least expensive model?

HELP!

(I have big kids and am WAY out of the carseat loop, and don't have time to figure out the mind boggling information.)

Well it depends on your price range.
For under $60 you can get Cosco Scenera which is a good, safe seat but with less padding and extras.
For under $150, you can get a Graco Myride, which is a great seat with nice features and lots of padding.
Both of these can be used from the newborn stage, although they are not carriers.

DS-(1996), DSD-(2001), and our miracle baby girl-(7/7/09) and Always remembering my 3 brokenheart.gif angel babies
and cautiously due May 12, 2011!
#4 of 5 Old 02-11-2010, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Shopping for a newborn on a tight budget, I'd look at the Evenflo Triumph Advance, Learning Curve TrueFit (original) and Graco MyRide65. Both list around $150 and if you get really lucky can go down to $120 on sale (and some clearance patterns of the Triumph Advance are closer to $100), and might get a kid from birth to a safe booster age/size (depends on the kid's size and growth pattern).

If that is not doable, the Cosco Scenera and Evenflo Titan are significantly less expensive ($45 for the Scenera, $75 for the Titan). They won't get most kids to a safe booster age/size, but they should get kids to age three-ish, which gives parents three years to save up for a higher-capacity harnessed seat.

Opinions are like bellybuttons and everyone has one... but of those seats, I'd prefer to get the MyRide if you can swing it or the Titan if you couldn't.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#5 of 5 Old 02-12-2010, 10:56 AM

If you're willing to move fast...and have any old baby stuff you want to get rid of, Toys-R-Us/Babies-R-Us is accepting old strollers, cribs, play yards, car seats, etc. When you turn one in, you get a coupon for 25% off. Have to use it by Feb 20th... but it's good on Graco, EvenFlo, etc.

You can turn in a high chair and get a car seat (don't have to match categories.)

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page