Britax Marathon? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 13 Old 02-24-2010, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My apologies for another car seat thread

DD is turning 4 and has outgrown her Britax Roundabout. I've decided on a Nautilus for her. I'm pretty settled on that decision. I LOVED her Roundabout, but unfortunately it's also going to be past it's expiration date by the time baby comes. I'd love another Britax for the babe but my two concerns are money and space.

First question: Do roundabouts and or marathons fit infants well? They look to me like they would, and they are rated for infancy, but I'd like some opinions from those who have actually used them.

Second question: Will a Britax fit in my car with a Nautilis? I drive a 2007 Dodge Caliber. Not small but not necessarily roomy either. Babe has to be in the middle seat (pretty non negotiable for me at least for the first year).

Third question: Is a convertable for infancy a good idea? I'm debating a bucket infant seat, but I'd like to be able to not hassle with buying a car seat every year. I don't really mind taking baby in and out, but having never experienced that before, I'm a bit afraid I might regret it come the winter months.

I'm asking all of this now because I just found a Britax Marathon on Craigslist for only $180. It's said to be brand new in the box with all the tags still on it. It was manufactured in Oct of 2008. I'm really debating snatching up this great deal (if it all checks out upon my inspection ) but I want to make sure I'm making the right decision. I won't be able to return it if it doesn't work out yk?

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 02-24-2010, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Infants can't fit in the marathon (i imagine the RB too) because the lowest strap height is too high.

I had a mitsubishi galant and I could fit 2 marathons and an infant seat so maybe.

I think a convertable for an infant might be good but you would have to buy one that would fit so you might as well get a infant seat and buy a marathon when she outgrows it. since you really want to buy a britax.

I would pass on the CL carseat. you can get them new online for the same price (free shipping)

http://www.albeebaby.com/britax-mara...trawberry.html

Unassisted birthing, atheist, WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids 17, 11, 6, 3
#3 of 13 Old 02-24-2010, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Oh wow, I didn't realize you could get them online that cheap. Okay, that makes me feel better, thanks.

So what is the issue with the straps? It says that it is safe for infants starting at 19inches. Why are they rated for infants if they don't work? Is there an insert you can use? How much above the shoulders is safe for the straps to lay? (Just wondering here. We may very well have to go with a bucket at first.)

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#4 of 13 Old 02-24-2010, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Straps have to be at or below shoulders for rfing. Most newborns are not tall enough for that to be the case with the Britax seats. FFing straps have to be at or above shoulders, so your daughter might already be too big for the roundabout.

Convertibles that fit newborns well are the graco myride, first years true fit, and sunshine kids radian.
#5 of 13 Old 02-24-2010, 06:45 PM

Starting from birth with a convertible, I'd highly recommend the True Fit. I actually like it better than my Marathon - non-threading strap adjustment rocks!

High-tech Hippie Mama to Dd1 (9/22/06), Dd2 (2/25/10) and Ds (05/27/2013). I eat Clean, cloth diaper, and spend way too much time online.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#6 of 13 Old 02-24-2010, 07:52 PM

I haven't seen this pointed out yet--it's actually more important to put your DD in the center, as the most vulnerable child (in your case, the forward facing one) should be in the most protected seat.

That said, if they can't fit side by side, the difference in safety is small between outboard and center (perhaps someone will remember the numbers off the top of their head).
#7 of 13 Old 02-24-2010, 09:33 PM

I'm a huge fan of Britax because of how comfy the seats are, and how easy it is to get a rock-solid install in virtually any car. That being said, I would not use a Britax convertible for a newborn. My son just recently moved up to the second harness height at 18 months old! He didn't fit well rear-facing (with the harness at his shoulders) until about 5 months... and that was with a bulky cloth diaper on.

There are several other great convertibles that fit infants much better. If you don't think you'll want the convenience of taking a bucket seat in and out of the car, a properly fitting convertible is a great option for a newborn. The TrueFit, the Graco MyRide, and the Radian 80 or XL all fit newborns well. With a small car, the TrueFit might be the way to go.

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#8 of 13 Old 02-25-2010, 01:14 AM

I love marathons, and have owned two, but there is like a 99% chance it won't fit your newborn (and probably not for several months), so, I would get a True Fit if you want to bypass an infant seat.

Though, there's always the Britax Chaperone that can be used right away.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#9 of 13 Old 02-25-2010, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
Straps have to be at or below shoulders for rfing. Most newborns are not tall enough for that to be the case with the Britax seats. FFing straps have to be at or above shoulders, so your daughter might already be too big for the roundabout.

Convertibles that fit newborns well are the graco myride, first years true fit, and sunshine kids radian.
That's what I thought for rear facing straps. It seems so silly for them to rate the seats safe for infants when their not. I'm sure plenty of people just see the rating and go with it.

DD's shoulders are right below or at the straps right now. So she hasn't quite outgrown it yet, but the urgency is there. We've already decided next paycheck goes to a new car seat for her. I'm excited to get her Nautilus though, because we'll have such a better idea of how everything will fit.

#10 of 13 Old 02-25-2010, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheartedmama View Post
I haven't seen this pointed out yet--it's actually more important to put your DD in the center, as the most vulnerable child (in your case, the forward facing one) should be in the most protected seat.

That said, if they can't fit side by side, the difference in safety is small between outboard and center (perhaps someone will remember the numbers off the top of their head).
My train of thought was that the most vulnerable child would be the infant since it's muscles will still be so underdeveloped. Do you mean that they would be more protected from obstructions like shattered glass and what not? I'll look up the difference in safety.

-For those of you who mentioned the other convertible seats, thanks
I'm not at all crazy about the Radion. I doubt it would fit in our car anyhow. But I really like the truefit from what I saw. I'll try that, or go with a bucket. Thanks all!!!

#11 of 13 Old 02-25-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaB21 View Post
My train of thought was that the most vulnerable child would be the infant since it's muscles will still be so underdeveloped. Do you mean that they would be more protected from obstructions like shattered glass and what not? I'll look up the difference in safety.
The rear facing seat provides much better protection/neck support than a forward facing seat.
#12 of 13 Old 02-25-2010, 09:09 PM

Position in the vehicle is a tricky thing! With a Nautilus, you probably won't fit two side by side, who goes in the middle is not going to be much of an issue (my guess). The difference in safety from center to outboard is small, 4 to 6% depending on the study you look at, where rear facing children are 500% less likely to sustain a spinal injury. I know it seems counterinutive, but your forward facing child is at greater risk of injury than your rear facing infant because of all the additional protection of a rear facing seat. All of that said, I know some parents and techs who still choose to use the center for infants because they just feel better about it. In reality though, for most parents, with most car seats, in most sedans, putting one in the center and one outboard is not easy. You need the right seats, and they have to puzzle well. Plus, you need the older one not to poke/touch/etc. the baby!

So, all that said, if the center is non-negotiable for you, you might want to reconsider that Nautilus and look at two Radian's, the Nautilus does not puzzle well, it's a wide seat! But, otherwise, please know that it IS ok for babe to be outboard, really

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#13 of 13 Old 02-25-2010, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyavery View Post
So, all that said, if the center is non-negotiable for you, you might want to reconsider that Nautilus and look at two Radian's, the Nautilus does not puzzle well, it's a wide seat! But, otherwise, please know that it IS ok for babe to be outboard, really
Thanks for that. I guess I still have a lot to learn about car seats I just figured rear facing or not, the child with less muscle development could sustain more injury making me think the middle would be the best place for the babe. But you know, I think your right that it might not work ligistically. In theory, it seems so perfect, doesn't it? lol. I'm really not crazy about the Radian. I think I'll stick with the Nautilus and see what we can figure out. Since I know it's not crucial to have either in the center, I think I'll feel okay about them both outboard.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page