Best convertible for around $150? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-02-2010, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for a convertible seat for my little one due in July. I can spend around $150 (perhaps up to $180 but that is a lot for our super tight budget right now). I would like it to work for the baby as long as possible (RF and FF). We have an Evenflo Triumph for DD and I thought they were pretty good seats but I noticed in another similar thread that nobody recommended Evenflo. I am curious why?
If it helps DD was around 6 pounds at birth and has always been on the smaller end of the spectrum in height and weight.

Thanks!

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-03-2010, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You have a few options. Convertibles that fit babies well at birth and are in your price range include the true fit and the graco myride. If you can find a good deal on a radian65 you might be able to make that work (it would last you the longest). Any of those should get your kiddo to booster age, but of course no guarantee if you have a super tall child or something!

The other option is to get a cosco scenera now ($50ish) and then plan and save to get a seat like the graco nautilus ($150ish) once that is outgrown (usually around 3). The nautilus will harness a lot longer than the above mentioned convertibles, and converts to a booster.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 6 Old 03-03-2010, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
The Triumph Advance is one of my favorite less-expensive seats, but when we don't *know* that the child will be on the smaller side, I prefer to recommend seats with a 40# RFing capacity, so for under $150, I'd go for the Graco MyRide.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#4 of 6 Old 03-03-2010, 03:06 PM

We have the TrueFit's for our twins and we have been happy with them. We put them in around 6 months and dd was pretty small (14lbs or so) and she fit well. They do have an insert that you can use for a newborn but we never used it. It rear faces to 35lbs and forward faces to 65lbs. It cost us $150 Canadian dollars.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#5 of 6 Old 03-03-2010, 04:41 PM

These are both good for newborns -

Truefit - RF to 35lbs, FF to 65lbs, Talll shell so great for tall kids (esp for rearfacing), has a really nice infant insert. Headrest can stay off until baby is 22lbs (or too tall, there is a line on the seat indicating this)

MyRide - RF to 40lbs, FF to 65lbs, Shorter shell than the TF, but heigher RF weight limit. Comfy seat.

I would NOT get a Britax seat, b/c those dont work for newborns, you want something with low bottom harness slots.
#6 of 6 Old 03-09-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighi123 View Post
These are both good for newborns -

Truefit - RF to 35lbs, FF to 65lbs, Talll shell so great for tall kids (esp for rearfacing), has a really nice infant insert. Headrest can stay off until baby is 22lbs (or too tall, there is a line on the seat indicating this)

MyRide - RF to 40lbs, FF to 65lbs, Shorter shell than the TF, but heigher RF weight limit. Comfy seat.

I would NOT get a Britax seat, b/c those dont work for newborns, you want something with low bottom harness slots.
I second (or third) the TrueFit. I started DD in one as a newborn and it held her securely. She was 18.5 inches and 6 lb. 13 oz.

I also second not getting a Britax. Her seat in the other car is a Britax Boulevard and it did not fit her well until she was 6 mos. +. It also has less leg room.

Since you have time, keep an eye out for sales/coupons/closeouts!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page