S/O Carseat Bases... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-03-2010, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The other thread had me wondering- why do infant carseats have bases if the seat is perfectly usable on its own? I've had a Graco and Evenflo and BOTH had instructions for installing the seat sans-base. Is this just a money-making scheme to get you to buy extra bases for each car? Or are they somehow magically safer when clicked into an extra hunk of plastic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
It's not a "scheme". Most parents choose infant seats because of the convenience of snapping the seat into the base -- those who don't want that feature usually use convertibles from birth. There's no need to have extra bases.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:44 PM

Ease of use - Just pop it in. I prefer to install with a seatbelt, but that is for visibility purposes (DD in front seat).

Also, if you always leave the carseat in the car, having to either 1) try and slide your child's legs under the seatbelt or 2) un-do and re-do it every time can bve a pain.

It is helpful in puzzling seats together like in 3 across situations.

If you install the seat with the belt, you have to make sure you do it right every single time. If you install the base, then you can get it inspected and never worry about it again.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
Old 03-03-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post

If you install the seat with the belt, you have to make sure you do it right every single time. If you install the base, then you can get it inspected and never worry about it again.
This is why we used the base.

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
Old 03-04-2010, 03:15 AM

Installs without the bases are really, really, really hard to do right. I've never seen one right, ever in all the ones I've checked. Even if you get it right, the amount of user error that is added in by having to reinstall every time you use the seat is huge! The bases are well worth the extra for the ease of use and chance of a better install. This is definitely a point where I don't see a marketing scheme, just really ease of use!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Old 03-04-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyavery View Post
Installs without the bases are really, really, really hard to do right. I've never seen one right, ever in all the ones I've checked. Even if you get it right, the amount of user error that is added in by having to reinstall every time you use the seat is huge! The bases are well worth the extra for the ease of use and chance of a better install. This is definitely a point where I don't see a marketing scheme, just really ease of use!
I would have to disagree. It's not very hard at all to install it properly.

CPST & mom

Old 03-05-2010, 10:07 PM

Its not that hard to install it without the base BUT you have to take the baby out of the seat to do it right (b/c you have to push on the seat to pull it tight).

Also you cant do LATCH without the base!

A lot of people use infant seats b/c they can take the whole thing in and out of the car with baby already in it. If you dont use the base, you'd have to take baby out to install it each time.

I never used a base for mine, but I never took it out of the car either.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:41 PM

You do not need to take the baby out to do it right. I put my hand on one side and lay my forearm across the other side and push my weight on it while pulling the shoulder belt. Once you've done it a few times you get it down to a science and I get a better install on our bucket which is in and out multiple times a day than any other seat I've installed.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
Old 03-05-2010, 11:01 PM

Yeah, no need to take baby out, and if you do take baby out, it would be hard to get their feet back under the belt. We use DS's SafeSeat 1 baseless in my van with an ALR lap belt. It's easy peasy; just buckle the belt and rock to the side to get the slack out. Very little room for error. With the regular lap belt it's easy as well, since you just keep it adjusted to the correct length.

CPST & mom

User Tag List