Co-Bathing - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 03-10-2010, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We bathed and showered with DD from birth. Now at 22months she usually prefers to bathe alone (more room to splash, our tub is small) but still likes to shower with us, and gets kinda offended if someone tries to shower without inviting her.

As a newborn I'd wrap her in a towel and place her on a second towel on the floor when I was done, then dry myself, if I didn't have an assistant.

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#32 of 47 Old 03-10-2010, 05:16 PM

Oh yes, we never did it any other way! I loved taking baths with my baby, and it felt so much safer than having her sitting in the tub un-supported.

If we had a bigger tub I think we would still be taking baths together. It is fun.
#33 of 47 Old 03-10-2010, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
on weekdays, ds gets a shower with me or dh to save time. In his infant tub, he always ends up soaking us anyways, so it's impossible to bathe him like that on a rushed morning.

Just a tip, i don't trust myself to get out of the tub while holding him, but there have been a few occasions where I've had to do it alone. (got pooped on)

After the bath, I drain the tub as well as I can, and put a towel down on the floor of the tub. Put DS on the towel (making sure that there is no water pooling around him, get up, and then get out, and then lift him out.

the downside to this is that you don't get any time alone in the tub to get clean.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#34 of 47 Old 03-10-2010, 05:24 PM

DP and I started to shower with DS when he was about 4 weeks old. It was easier then getting the tub out and filling it with water and trying to bathe him. The only thing that was hard at first was feeling comfortable holding the slippery baby. DS is almost three and he will shower with us and wash everything but his hair independently. He LIKES to stand under the water (we have a rain showerhead).

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#35 of 47 Old 03-10-2010, 09:53 PM

Yep, I still bathe with my DS, although now we shower together . When he was a few months old, I put him in the Bumbo (no flames please) and put him in the tub with me, it worked out great. We used that only a while until he could sit firmly. Then when he could stand on his own we did the shower thing. He loves his showers !

Mama to one 2 yr. old tornado banana.gif
#36 of 47 Old 03-10-2010, 11:08 PM

We share baths and showers all the time. It just seems so much easier in the long run, and if I want to shower, although it takes more time, I don't have to wait for the kids to nap or go to bed. We'll just all hop in together. DH has baths with them more often than I now that they are a little older. I prefer to have baths to relax - not play with boats and rubber ducks

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#37 of 47 Old 03-12-2010, 02:43 PM

Not really a safety issue, but I got pooped on in the shower today. Just something to keep in mind....

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#38 of 47 Old 03-12-2010, 03:43 PM

i love bathing with my baby! she hated her first bath which i tried to do with a couple of inches of water. but she loves the big tub, filled up nice and full. babies float really well, so they don't require much holding up. I just hold her head, and she kicks her legs and arms around and coos at me. i usually clean myself first, then have my husband pass her in to me. i've gotten pooped on once, but that was my own fault for not paying attention to her cues. i don't really need anyone to help us get out... i have her towel laid out on the bath mat beside me. plus, she nurses SO well after a bath.
#39 of 47 Old 03-12-2010, 04:41 PM

For the majority of my son's infanthood, my hubby washed him by taking him into the shower. I would undress him, hand him off, take him back out once he was clean and then dry and dress him.

When my hubby was not available, I would frequently fill up the bathtub a bit and sit in the tub with my son to wash him up. I tried the leaning-over-the-side technique but it made me too nervous. Better to have an sturdier grip on a slippery child.

Now that our son is older, we feel more secure letting him get into the bathtub by himself. Showering is still a quick and easy way to get him clean but with his size, we just let him walk around the shower stall rather than hold him.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#40 of 47 Old 03-12-2010, 06:28 PM

I think DS's first few baths were actually in our kitchen sink, but once his cord fell off, we bathed with him in the tub. We used something called the Safer Bather, and really liked it. I could ley DS on it and place it on my legs, and had hands free for a minute to wash my hair, grab bath products, etc. DS really enjoyed bathing with us, and it is the primary means of washing him still. No bending over a tub to wash him, since he is just in with either myself or DH.

Cristina, Mama to Michael 03-16-06, Nathan 01-16-11, and an angel 01-20-09,
Go with your gut, follow your heart.
#41 of 47 Old 03-12-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupialmom View Post
There comes a point you might want to add underwear for yourself! They like to grab things that float.

Have fun enjoy bath time.
That needs to be a random facebook status....

DD has only ever taken a bath in the way you describe, OP. I never thought it was a safety issue, rather the opposite. Our first bath was an herbal bath after birth (mostly for me!) and we have amazing photos of her gazing into our eyes and smiling...just a couple hours after birth!

But since then, she has decided to hate baths with a passion. As in, I think it's bordering on abusive to force her to take them. Oh no, she loves splashing in cups and playing w/ the faucet in the sink. And she absolutely loved the ocean, and all pools. I wonder if it's the space or the noise...who knows. One time I was bathing myself and she saw me lie down (aka disappear) and she literally wet herself. I felt like the worse mom in the world.

Anyways, I can't imagine forcing her to bathe alone; it's hard enough together. As it is she doesn't bathe frequently... just a spongebath.*sigh*

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#42 of 47 Old 03-12-2010, 07:05 PM

This thread brings back such memories. I always bathed w/DD when she was an infant and toddler. She's now 7 and those are some of her best memories.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#43 of 47 Old 03-12-2010, 07:58 PM

We too co-bathe and love it

My older son had two baths in the plastic tub (and hated them both) and never again. My younger son has never had a bath except in the big bath. Both of them loooove showers too.

FWIW you can start right from day one with both as long as you're comfortable. Baby #3 is coming in September and we don't even own a baby bath at this point so the only option will be big tub

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#44 of 47 Old 03-18-2010, 05:38 AM

We bought a new bathroom sink big enough to bathe a baby before DD1 was born. But she soon went in the tub with me. Seems much safer toghether than baby in and adult outside of tub. I think DD2 was bathing in the tub from the start. The hand off is definitely helpful. Once they were mobile I would pull the plug then get out first to dry off/get dressed. With many repeats of "Stay seated, no standing or climbing over the side".
#45 of 47 Old 03-18-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGirls View Post
We bathed and showered with DD from birth. Now at 22months she usually prefers to bathe alone (more room to splash, our tub is small) but still likes to shower with us, and gets kinda offended if someone tries to shower without inviting her.
Funny you mention that. I emailed my mom a few weeks ago because it has become apparent that DD (13 mos.) now finds my presence in the tub with her more of a hinderance to her play than a help. We have a giant tub, but she gets annoyed when my legs are in her way--smacks them and seems pleased when I get out and she can "really" play. My feelings were actually hurt the first couple of times that she did it, in a weird sentimental way. But I'm always willing to jump in if she seems open to it!

I remember bathing/showering with my parents until I was about 4. Showers were very grown up because you had to be careful not to slip and fall down.

#46 of 47 Old 03-19-2010, 12:08 AM

My daughter took maybe 10 baths as a tiny infant in her baby tub, the rest have been with me. She is 15 months old now and still takes her daily bath with mommy, even though mommy's baby belly is requiring more and more room these days!

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

#47 of 47 Old 03-21-2010, 11:37 PM

We "co-bathe" (also have never heard this term), and I can't imagine doing it any other way. If my husband is home, I enjoy the "luxury" of having him bring me the baby and take her when I'm done bathing her, but most of the time, we bathe in the morning, after he's already left for work.

With an infant, I used to put a "bouncy chair" (a term I use despite the fact that ours doesn't bounce) right next to the tub, and lay the hooded baby towel on top of it, open. Then I draw the bath and undress. If I have bathing "business" to do (washing my hair or shaving), I might put the baby (in a diaper only, but with the bath on and the bathroom door shut, it's not chilly) on the towel, on the bouncy seat (the one that doesn't actually bounce). I'll get in the bath, do what I need to do, then just take the baby's diaper off, toss it aside, and lift her into the tub (I'm just basically leaning over the edge of the tub to do this). When I'm finished, I put her on her towel, on the chair, wrap her up, do a super-quick dry-off and tie a towel around myself if she's seems cold/uncomfortable/fussy (do a full dry-off and maybe even get dressed if she's warm and happy and content), then lift the baby-and-towel up and get the baby diapered and dressed.

Both my husband and I enjoy bathing with our babies (and endure bathing with our bigger kids), and I highly recommend it. It's a nice little bonding experience and I think it makes life much simpler (and our babies all LOVED it).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page