RFID Tags in Kid's Clothing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-24-2010, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just noticed today a tag in my DS" jeans that says "Remove Before washing or Wearing"....umm..yea...they have been washed and worn a TON since I bought them in the fall. Crap. So, I foudn out they are RFID tags (Radio frequency tags) that act as security devices. Could him wearing this cause any harm to him? Is there any radioactivity going on???? I'm all sort of freaked out about that now.
#2 of 4 Old 03-24-2010, 03:40 PM

RFID is passive. No EMF issues even when it's implanted. Worst case would be his butt sets off alarms when you go into a store.

Um, and radioactivity requires a radioactive substance. If they aren't even going to power the RFID tags, they certainly aren't going to spend the money on uranium and plutonium, y'know?
#3 of 4 Old 03-24-2010, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

LOL..got it!! Thank you for the info! I had never paid attention to that before and once I started to read about it, it was unnerving. Big brother, right? Is this what they implant into dogs?

Guess I shouldn't worry that my DS was playing with the tag after I cut it off (and before I noticed)....It waas coming apart and he was having fun with the silver part...(it's a sticker, he said) the silver part is sticky, but I guess just to adhere to the fabric overlay.
#4 of 4 Old 03-24-2010, 06:52 PM

Yep, RFID is implanted in dogs (although as little pellets not as stickers)

The RFID stickers can be found on tons of stuff. Like library books, boxes for small expensive things. All over.

My guess is that they have a note not to wash it with the tag on because the stickiness can get on your clothes and bits of the paper coating could make your clothes linty--like a regular sticker.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page