Baby doesn't like car seat! Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-26-2010, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

My baby is so easy and happy, except for in his car seat. He is about 6 and a half months, and is rear facing. I don't like using this word, but he hates his car seat. To the point where I barely leave the house because of it. He loses it beyond control in it and it is installed right and a pretty nice seat!

Everyone has told me their kids changed and were fine in the car as soon as they were forward facing. I need to be able to go places and do things with him for my and his sanity. I can't just be stuck home.

Is it absolutely wrong and dangerous to put his forward facing soon, like in the next month or two? I have heard that there is some pretty great seats with neck support and stuff. I know people who put their kids forward facing at 9 months because the babies hated the seat so much, and it pretty much fixed it.

Don't know what to do. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 04-26-2010, 08:04 AM

It is absolutely risking your child's life to turn a 6mo FF. It's a pretty bad idea to turn a 1 or 2 yo forward facing. RF is MUCH safer. My DD hated her carseat from birth to about 7-8 months when she could play with her toys. Then she was ok for a short trip but still kinda cranky in the car until about 18months. Now she LOVES the car and throws a tantrum when I get her out, lol. She's still RF at nearly 2yo.

Have you moved him to a convertible (RF) yet? A lot of kids prefer the convertible. Also, at 6mo, you can install the carseat a little more upright, which helps some kids.

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#3 of 14 Old 04-26-2010, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Children should rear-face to the limits of their convertible seat, or between ages 2-4. It is wrong, dangerous, potentially fatal, and illegal to turn a child before the age of one. A child who is forward-facing too early risks internal decapitation, even in a "good" seat. The spine is not yet ossified to support the spinal cord: the spine can stretch several inches, but the spinal cord can not and may snap in a crash because it has nothing (neither ossified spine nor protection from a RFing seat shell) to support it.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#4 of 14 Old 04-26-2010, 11:00 AM

The single biggest thing you can do to protect your child in the car is keep him rear facing. FFing a 9 month old is illegal most places and unsafe everywhere. Think about the load on that tiny neck when you just stop quickly, let alone get in a crash.

I agree with putting him in an upright convertible seat, rear facing. My DD didn't like her bucket, but loves her rear facing True Fit and Marathon (14 months.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKIeExpDLDA

Give this a quick watch.

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#5 of 14 Old 04-26-2010, 11:25 AM

hi babyulu, i heard of this problem all the time. when my kids were that age, my hubby will drive and i will be accompanying baby at the back seat. will be pretty busy like singing songs and playing toys to the baby. when baby gets older, you can offer snacks too.

Yup, i think u should rear face until ur baby is older.

Mother of 2, Jasmine, 8 and Elden, 5

#6 of 14 Old 04-26-2010, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
And if you haven't, try installing the seat more upright. Sometimes that helps.

But yes, insanely dangerous to turn ffing for another good 2+ years.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#7 of 14 Old 04-26-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGirls View Post
Have you moved him to a convertible (RF) yet? A lot of kids prefer the convertible. Also, at 6mo, you can install the carseat a little more upright, which helps some kids.
Ditto this. I am convinced that many of the kids who "do better" when turned forward facing are actually responding to a more upright seating position.
#8 of 14 Old 04-27-2010, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! This is just what I needed to hear. I wasn't about to do it right now, but was thinking of doing it early because I had so many people telling me it helps and its no big deal, "I did it with my daughter at 9 months," blah blah blah.

He's not in a convertible yet, good idea! He's in a Chico key fit 30.

And I rode in the back with him the first few months but actually stopped doing that because I noticed that hes mellower alone back there, I think when he sees me there he thinks Ill take him out if he cries.

Thanks!
#9 of 14 Old 04-27-2010, 01:52 AM

Yep - get a convertible, installed rfing, and babe will be a bit more upright and able to see more. That's what worked for my dd - and she turned 3yo in Dec, and is still happily rfing!

Kelly , mama to 4yo and 1yo ,
#10 of 14 Old 04-27-2010, 02:52 PM

Best of luck Mama! This can be a hard road! I hope the more upright convertible helps solve your problem. Music helped us a lot too. It sounds like you know now, but you can't turn a baby under one legally in most states, the bare minimum for forward facing is one year and 20lbs according to most states. However, we now know that babies and toddlers are 500% safer forward facing. By contrast, the center vs. outboard is only a 4% difference in safety! So please do be sure to do your best to keep baby rear facing as long as possible!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#11 of 14 Old 04-27-2010, 03:01 PM

You can install his infant seat a little more upright and see if he likes it better.

I feel your pain--my oldest screamed the entire time she was in the car, no matter if it was 5 minutes or 5 hours. It was awful She did much, much better when we switched her to a convertible, and now at nearly 5 she is super mellow in the car.

CPST & mom

#12 of 14 Old 04-27-2010, 03:54 PM

My daughter has never enjoyed riding in the car or being put in anything like a car seat. One thing that helped was keeping her Leap Pad electronic book reader in the car, as soon as she could work it herself. Also, if someone else could drive and I could sit right next to her, I could keep her happy and entertained with fingerplays and stuff. Now that she can understand where we are going- to grandmas, to the store, to the zoo- she seems to be able to hang in there a little longer. Also, for long trips, we use a portable DVD player. I'd rather listen to Barney than her screaming, for sure.
#13 of 14 Old 04-29-2010, 11:48 AM

Going into a larger convertible rearfacing seat helped my dd like the car a whole lot better too.
#14 of 14 Old 04-29-2010, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yeah all my babies HATED the carseat LOL I highly doubt turning would do any good for such a small baby. Panda is 3 months old and still occasionally fusses. My son is going to be 5 in june and he still RF (in my car anyway) LOL

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page