S/O 5 year old NOT harnessed? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 124 Old 05-20-2010, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
It actually depends a lot on age as well, since skeletal/hip development has a lot to do with it. A lot of techs agree that older children below 40lbs are fine in a booster, and as a parent you have to decide at what age you are comfortable with that. A lot of boosters are rated 30+lbs.
I don't know, at 6 years old and 34lbs Janelle didn't look safe in a booster, but she also is on the short side and is all legs with an amazingly short torso (7 1/2 and still wearing 3t bathing suits!)...now at 7 1/2 and right around 40lbs, she does fit fine in a booster and uses it when with friends or going on girl scout field trips.

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
#122 of 124 Old 05-20-2010, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
That's why I wrote that proper fit is essential. Some 34# children fit very well in some boosters. And other 34# children fit terribly in other boosters.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#123 of 124 Old 05-20-2010, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yup, ITA about fit. My neice went to a booster around 6 and she was 35lbs. Fit her fine. It'll totally depend on torso height and such.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#124 of 124 Old 05-22-2010, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smidge View Post
I don't have a 5yr old yet, but my dh and I agree that everyone should be in a 5pt harness at all times (babies, toddler, kids and adults). Saying that, when our kids grow out of their Blvds they will be moving to the Britax Frontier 85 and staying in the harness until they outgrow it.

I worry about your dd being so small with no 5-pt harness, but of course you're the only one who truly knows your situation
There is a common belief harnessing is safer than boosters for older kids but it's simply not true. People working seriously and professionally with car seats know this very well.

Chickybiddy's comments sums everything up very well (thanks for the nice summary)

Quote:
There is absolutely no evidence that children who are able to use a booster properly (this includes physical and developmental maturity as well as correct fit and use) are safer harnessed than boostered. There is some non-conclusive evidence that 5-point harnesses protect better in certain crashes, and some non-conclusive evidence that boosters and shoulder/lap belts protect better in certain crashes, but overall, they are both extremely safe choices when used correctly and again, there is no evidence that one is better than the other.
Belt fit is important in boosters. Age is more important than size since skeleton mature with age. Weight has little to do with safety. A 35 lbs 4 year old is just as safe as a 50 lbs 4 year old as long as belt fit is good.

CarSeat.se - Rear Facing Car Seats ⢠55 lbs Rear Facing Car Seats
Annika: 3.5 years RF Britax Hi-Way ⢠Daniel: 6 years FF Britax Adventure

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page