S/O how many 7 year olds in a booster seat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 86 Old 04-28-2010, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
curious how many of you have your 7/8 year olds in a booster seat?

my dd is 7 1/2 and i see some of her classmates still in boosters, but many not. i have her in her booster and will continue to do so till i find that she is tall enough for the seat belt to fit properly which i expect in the next couple of years. she is not in a high back booster.

however i am not anal about it. if sometimes we go with friends i dont drag the booster seat with me. 98% of the time she is in the booster though.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#2 of 86 Old 04-28-2010, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My step daughter is at the insistance of her mother though my partner and both feel it is unnessecary. It depends where you live. MOst provinces and states have laws about booster seats and then suggestions.
In my province they suggest the at children remain in a booster seat until they have reached 4'10''.
#3 of 86 Old 04-28-2010, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
A child needs (for safety, which may be different than state law) to be in a booster of some sort until s/he passes the 5-step test:
~ knees bending at edge of seat and preferably feet resting on floor
~ back and buttocks against seat crease
~ shoulder belt crossing between neck and arm, not riding up on neck
~ lap belt crossing low on hips and thighs
~ able to remain in this position for the entire trip

I'm 41 and 5'5" and don't pass in all cars: it's very rare that a 7yo would pass consistently. Kids who don't pass need to be in boosters to protect themselves -- adults have a little more leeway because they have mature hipbones to hold the lapbelt down and prevent seatbelt syndrome.

ETA that my 8yo is in a highbacked booster 99.95% of the time and a backless booster the other 0.05%.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#4 of 86 Old 04-28-2010, 02:27 PM

Chances are, unless your kid is HUGE, that they will not fit properly in a seat belt alone until they are 10-12.

Here is some info:

http://carseatblog.com/?p=3966

Not keeping a kid in a booster risks submarining (sliding out under the seat belt, and being unrestrained during a car accident), internal injuries from the lap belt hitting their belly rather than their hip bones (this is really serious, internal injuries of this sort are hard repair), or having them slide out from behind the shoulder belt, and then hit on the back of the seat in front of them (or the dashboard, if they are in front). Please use the 5 step test above to see if any child is really large enough to be in a belt alone.

I personally know of 1, just one, kid who just turned 9 who is tall enough to pass the tests, and she is probably going to be supermodel tall. She is already as tall as I am - 60". ETA: she passes in her parents' cars, most likely not all cars as PP mentioned.
#5 of 86 Old 04-28-2010, 02:30 PM

My kid turned 8 last month, but he's still in one. When I drop him off at the school bus, every other kid that I see is not in any type of seat. Some are older, some younger. Most of his classmates (which he is the youngest in his class), regularly ride in the front.
#6 of 86 Old 04-28-2010, 02:33 PM

DS1 will be 10 on June 1 and he's still in a booster. To the best of my understanding, to be safest in a seatbelt alone they are supposed to be able to sit all the way back in the seat and have the bend of their knees be at or past the edge of the seat so that their feet can be flat on the floor. DS1 isn't able to do that in the car that we drive the most. (He can do it in our truck and does not use a booster in that vehicle) Here in North Carolina, I think it's legal to ditch the booster when the child is 4'10" and 80 lbs OR 8 years old.
#7 of 86 Old 04-28-2010, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
mini_mommy i dont go by the legal standards here in the US. legally my dd does not have to be in a booster seat. its 6 and 60 pounds in CA. they have been studying the 8/80 pounds for a long time but havent made that into law yet.

you know whats interesting is i am 4'11" and i use a 'booster seat' made with a plank of wood and two cushions or else the belt doesnt fit well and neither can i see well when i drive. my seat does not come as high up as i want it to.

i draw a line at front seat passenger. she has never been one even though she would like to be one.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#8 of 86 Old 04-28-2010, 02:52 PM

My oldest will be 7 in just over a week and he has just moved into a booster full time. Most of his classmates are in boosters, though some of them are in low back boosters which I personally do not feel is appropriate. He is pretty small and I'm sure he will be in a high back booster for several years to come.
#9 of 86 Old 04-28-2010, 03:00 PM

My 7 1/2 year old is still in his Regent. I expect him to switch to a HBB in the next year when he outgrows the Regent. We'll be using HBBs until the kids can fully pass the 5 step test, which I'm guessing won't be until around age 12.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#10 of 86 Old 04-28-2010, 03:03 PM

As I stated in the other thread, my 7YO boy is in a HBB. He's most likely the only kid in his class that still rides in a HBB, most of the other kids are in the no back boosters or just the seat belt. We do let him ride in the backless booster for school drop off and other short little trips. He will be in his HBB until he outgrows it... which I'm sure will be by height first. After that, we'll switch him to a backless booster until he passes the 5-step test.

Mama to my 3 wild things.

#11 of 86 Old 04-28-2010, 03:25 PM
MJB

My 7.25 yr. old just switched from a harness to a booster shortly before turning 7. He is in a highback booster in my car but recently got a backless booster for his dad's car (for every other weekend). He's 49"/57 lbs. and I assume he'll be in a booster until around 10. The law here is 8/80 lbs. but the state we're moving to is only 7/50" so he could legally ride without a booster there pretty soon. I actually lied to his dad and said the law is 4'9" so I don't have to argue about why he needs a booster when his birthday rolls around.
#12 of 86 Old 04-28-2010, 03:41 PM

My 7yo will turn 8 in a month. She's in a high-backed booster with regular seat belt. My 6yo will turn 7 in two months. She *just* went from 5pt to a regular seat belt in her high-backed booster.

My now-11yo was too tall for a booster by the time he was 7/7.5 or so.

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#13 of 86 Old 04-28-2010, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My almost 8yo is still harnessed and will go into a HBB after outgrowing her sunshine radian.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#14 of 86 Old 04-28-2010, 08:35 PM

Ohio's law just changed so that by *law* kids now have to be in boosters till they are 8 yrs old AND 80#s....
#15 of 86 Old 04-28-2010, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
my ds2 will be 8yo next month and i expect him to be in a booster for quite some time, long enough in fact that i just bought him a brand new ozzi. he is average in height and its all in his legs anyway so when he sits in the car he is short from the waist up. he is thin, only about 52#.

my now 15yo ds1 used a LBB until he was 11 and didnt sit in the front for another year after that. but with ds1, i didnt have internet and didnt know about boosters so when he outgrew his ff seat he went straight to the belt. one day when he was about 5yo i was going to kmart and there was a safety fair in the parking lot. we had to walk through it to get to the store and while ds was learning to dial 911 on a play phone someone approached me and asked if he was in a booster. i said no, they gave me a free one, and some literature, and i gladly used the seat until he didnt need it anymore, this time safely!

ftr, i am pretty much the only booster seat user i know. a friend just let her kindy boy ditch his, and it became an issue when they had to ride in my car and i made her dig it out of her garage or they couldnt come with me. another friend let her dd2 stop when her dd1 outgrew hers bc her hips didnt fit. she was still too short and light, just had a mature shape for her age, and i dont get why her little sister got to ditch the seat at the same time. they're 3 yrs apart, so they were about 6 and 9. yet another friend was told by her ped that there was no good reason to use a LBB after age 4. other ppl i know use a LBB in their car, but dont bother moving it when they send their kids with friends.

Bring back the old MDC
#16 of 86 Old 04-28-2010, 10:42 PM

Here a child needs to meet one of the following:

8 years old
80lbs
4 feet 9 inches tall

I'm not sure I agree with that as I'm sure there are plenty of 8 year olds that are still too small to use just the seatbelt. My ds is tall and I know that he definitely needs the booster to correctly position the seatbelt. He is 7-1/2 and is still in a HBB and can be until age 10 (Graco Turbobooster), assuming he fits and is not ready to use only the seatbelt.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#17 of 86 Old 04-29-2010, 06:22 AM

DS is 8 and just outgrew his 5-point harnessed Regent (he is now 80 lb). He'll stay in a booster until he meets the criteria noted above. He's a really big boy but does not fit the seatbelt alone - it's not even close.
#18 of 86 Old 04-29-2010, 11:42 AM

I think in Europe the minimums are either 4ft5in tall or 11years whichever comes first but practically I will wait until they can pass the 5step test.
#19 of 86 Old 04-29-2010, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
until they are 4'9 they should be in boosters. my 11 year old is not that tall yet so he's still in a booster. He cannot fit a shoulder strap properly without one.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#20 of 86 Old 04-29-2010, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
My dd is still in a booster and she will stay in one until she is eight. Our state only requires a booster until kids are six, but I have held on because I like Washingtons 8/80 law. There seems to be a lot of opinions about which height/age/weight makes kids safe so I am going to go with what dd and I have always agreed on. I wonder why there isn't more unity among researchers on this. It would make it easier to have something that many of them agree on.
#21 of 86 Old 04-29-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Girl View Post
I wonder why there isn't more unity among researchers on this. It would make it easier to have something that many of them agree on.
I have thought about this as well. Why is it ok for a child in one state and not another state? Also, when you travel through states I guess you need to look at the laws of the state you are traveling through? The studies are available equally to all states, so it does make me wonder! Anyone know what state has the most stringent and which has the most relaxed laws?
#22 of 86 Old 04-29-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
My dd is still in a booster and she will stay in one until she is eight. Our state only requires a booster until kids are six, but I have held on because I like Washingtons 8/80 law. There seems to be a lot of opinions about which height/age/weight makes kids safe so I am going to go with what dd and I have always agreed on. I wonder why there isn't more unity among researchers on this. It would make it easier to have something that many of them agree on.
I think unity among researchers and unity among lawmakers/state laws are two different things!

My ds at almost 8 is still in his hbb, and pretty much all the kids in his class are in boosters of some sort, many of them hbb.
#23 of 86 Old 04-29-2010, 02:05 PM

I have just allowed my 7 1/2 YO DD to move from a HBB to a no-back one, which actually seems to be a better fit for her. Most of her classmates still use some sort of booster, and a couple of them are still harnessed. Most of the moms keep a stash of no-back ones in their cars for playdates so that we can make sure everyone is safe.

My DS grew out of his booster sometime after he turned 8. He's not particularly tall but he is, um, round, and it got to narrow for him to sit comfortably in.
#24 of 86 Old 04-29-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
I'm 41 and 5'5" and don't pass in all cars: it's very rare that a 7yo would pass consistently. Kids who don't pass need to be in boosters to protect themselves -- adults have a little more leeway because they have mature hipbones to hold the lapbelt down and prevent seatbelt syndrome.

ETA that my 8yo is in a highbacked booster 99.95% of the time and a backless booster the other 0.05%.
This. I'm 5'1" (61") and I am fine in my Subaru Outback wagon, but I used to have an old Plymouth Gran Fury in which I could not see over the dashboard unless I sat on pillows or phone books

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake&zaxmom View Post
DS1 will be 10 on June 1 and he's still in a booster. To the best of my understanding, to be safest in a seatbelt alone they are supposed to be able to sit all the way back in the seat and have the bend of their knees be at or past the edge of the seat so that their feet can be flat on the floor. DS1 isn't able to do that in the car that we drive the most. (He can do it in our truck and does not use a booster in that vehicle) Here in North Carolina, I think it's legal to ditch the booster when the child is 4'10" and 80 lbs OR 8 years old.
I'm in NC, too. I've seen mixed things about what is correct and what isn't, as far as laws go. Here in Asheville, there are lots of billboards that say "4'9" is the law" but then I've heard the 8/80 rule, too.
Your "understanding" is a good indicator, I think! I haven't heard that till I read this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post
ftr, i am pretty much the only booster seat user i know. a friend just let her kindy boy ditch his, and it became an issue when they had to ride in my car and i made her dig it out of her garage or they couldnt come with me.
Yep, that would be me, too. I don't let adults ride with me unless they buckle, nor do I let kids ride w/o a booster, no matter what the rules are in their parents' cars.
It amazes me when parents say things like "he just won't stay in the booster" or "refuses to"...hey, sorry, but who makes the rules? I know it's not a Mothering standard, generally, but in no way am I going to compromise, or practice consensual anything, when it comes to safety.
Well, I'm not a consensual mom anyway, but even if I were. Not for safety issues.

My ds is 9y3m, is 4'4" and 59lb. Very tall and skinny, but no way tall enough for a belt alone. He's in a HBB. I think it's a Graco (forgot ), the one with the memory foam seat and the place where you anchor the belt at the child's shoulder area. We do road trips and no way could or would he sit for a whole trip like it says in the post with the 5 stipulations.
I can't remember when we ditched the 5-point, but he was way old compared to other kids his age. I ditched it when the head rest wouldn't go any higher for his height.
He uses a LBB in other people's cars, but I just scored another HBB for carpooling (free, even!)

Suffice it to say, he'll be in that dang booster, in whoever's car, till he's 4'9" at least. He's always going to be skinny and I doubt he'll hit 80lb till he's at least 12 or more!
Thankfully, he's very safety-minded, plus doesn't care what other people say, so yay.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#25 of 86 Old 04-29-2010, 03:12 PM

My 7 year old ds is still in a booster. He is 4'5" and around 55 pounds, so he'll be in one for awhile, the law here is 80lbs, not sure the height.
#26 of 86 Old 04-29-2010, 05:32 PM

I have a 7-year-old on the small side of average, and we're in Washington, so he needs to be 8 years old and 80 pounds before he gets out of the booster. It's going to be a while; he's about 47 pounds now. I think he'll be a great height before he reaches 80 pounds. Fortunately, he doesn't complaint about the booster seat. I do know a few people, even up here, who disregard the booster law -- one of my daughter's preschool classmates (4 years old and 60 pounds) rides in the back seat with no harness or booster! Her mom mentioned to me that she resists the safety seat, so she lets her ride without it. Yikes!

Nealy
mama to T (7), L (4), and O (12/12/08)
#27 of 86 Old 04-29-2010, 10:29 PM

My almost 10 year old is still in one. She's about 4 foot 2, maybe, low 50lbs.
#28 of 86 Old 04-29-2010, 11:22 PM

My 7 year old is still in a HBB (Graco Turbobooster), and will be for a long time yet (he is like 50ish lb and close to 4' tall).

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#29 of 86 Old 04-30-2010, 03:37 PM

My 8 year old is still in a HBB (Sunshine Kids Monterey) and she is the only 8 year old I know still using a booster of any kind. This is ironic because dd1 is huge (99% for height) and none of these kids come above her chin. Since AK has an 8 year or 80 lb law, people seem to think that they should toss the booster on the eighth birthday.

I had a parent get mad at me for putting an 8 year old in dd2's Britax Regent. This 8 year old was shorter than dd2 (who is 5.5) and I had to lower the straps.
#30 of 86 Old 04-30-2010, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
What if she is 8 and the shoulder strap doesn't fit her right?

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page