What's the most comfortable car seat for the baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-17-2010, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're going next month on a long car trip - dd will be 4.5 months old, and she's not a huge fan of the car seat, although she does okay about half the time. I have her in a Graco hand-me-down now (I think it's a SnugRide?) Anyway, it doesn't seem all that comfortable to her, and I'm wondering if there's a particular model out there that's gotten a reputation for being well-tolerated by babies. Anyone?

TIA!!

Jen, mom of  two amazing girls, b. 2/16/06  and 1/29/10 hbac.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Most babies seem to prefer convertibles, and the Graco MyRide is a nice ride for little ones.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have two convertibles an eddie bauer one & the trufit. When we switched to the trufit I was amazed at how much more comfortable ds appeared to be.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 05-19-2010, 01:13 AM

We have 2 Britax Blvds and the kids love them. We go on long trips (6-8 hrs) and they don't complain. I believe the Radian and Recaro's are comfy too.

Most buckets don't offer padding and some "bare-bones" convertibles don't either (Cosco Scenera, etc)

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
Old 05-19-2010, 03:30 PM

We have the Britax Advocate CS, and it seems really comfy. My DS usually doesn't like to be restrained in a carseat, but I find that if I distract him with a toy like Sophie the Giraffe, he forgets all about being restrained in the carseat. Have a safe trip!

Wife to DH (11/93) and mom to DS (11/09). gd.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gifsigncirc1.gifsaynovax.gifslingboy.gif
Old 05-19-2010, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! It sounds like padding is the key - I think I'm going to go ahead and invest in a nice convertible. Too bad Target won't let you try before you buy.

Jen, mom of  two amazing girls, b. 2/16/06  and 1/29/10 hbac.gif

Old 05-19-2010, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You may be able to go somewhere else where you can try out the seats & then buy it at target (I'm assuming it is cheaper there).

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 05-20-2010, 07:21 PM

Ours actually does ok in a Graco Snugride but we haven't gone any farther than San Francisco (from Oakland) so I can't really say for long rides. However we use the same seat for our stroller, and he tends to nod off pretty quick when he gets going in the stroller. So long as we keep the stroller moving he will be ok for many hours. We do long walks that way, and if he's asleep he'll let us stop for lunch too. But I think every baby is different, if your daughter doesn't seem to like the snugride, she probably doesn't. I wouldn't want to "try them out" in a store. THAT is something our son certainly would not like.

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" - Dr. Seuss
Old 05-20-2010, 07:50 PM

our local babies 'r' us let's you "try before you buy" in that you can take the seat down, strap it to a van bench they have mounted there in the store, then strap child in to see how they fit. I actaully did this at WalMart too, by just taking the seats down off the shelf and having DH hold them up while I set DD in to see if they fit.

My DD loved her Britax Roundabout at that age. She used to cry all the time in her Graco infant bucket, but fell right asleep in the roundabout.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!

User Tag List