pvc (vinyl)? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-18-2010, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I just bought a mattress pad that said on the outside of the package that it was made of "100% cotton", but there was also a tag that said the batting was polyester. Okay, I figured that and though I'd rather have REAL 100% cotton mattress pads, we can't shell out $50 for one right now. I get it home, remove it from the package, and lo and behold, it has a vinyl backing, smelling as stinky as vinyl does. Ugh!

Vinyl is bad right?

Lore, mom to my sweet little boy, born at home 11/09, and my spunky little girl, born in the hospital 10/10

#2 of 6 Old 05-18-2010, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, sorry, PVC is very bad It will always continue to break down and off gas.

Target has phased out a lot of PVC from their products, and IKEA doesn't use it AT ALL--so I would try there. Also, IKEA doesn't use the worst of the flame retardant chemicals (not sure how many times mattress pads are treated, but at least you know if they were, that the ones from IKEA would be safer).

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#3 of 6 Old 05-18-2010, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I Ikea makes a nice PUL mattress protector. LOVE mine. And it was something like $30.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#4 of 6 Old 05-18-2010, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! Yeah I've convinced my husband to return the vinyl one. Now to try to convince him to spend $30 on the Ikea one when the one we just bought was only $9.99, lol.

Lore, mom to my sweet little boy, born at home 11/09, and my spunky little girl, born in the hospital 10/10

#5 of 6 Old 05-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Banned

I adore Ikea for their reduction of toxic materials in their products. Not bad at all for a mainstream big box store!

$20 is TOTALLY worth it to not have the off gassing, esp for where babies sleep, IMO. We got a $50 organic one That was before we knew about for before Ikea had its stuff.
#6 of 6 Old 05-21-2010, 03:43 PM

Vinyl is the last thing you want next to your baby. Here's an excerpt from an article I wrote on vinyl/PVC and other toxins in mattresses and beding:

Most crib mattresses have a vinyl covering for waterproofing purposes. Vinyl (polyvinyl chloride or PVC) is considered to be one of the most toxic and environmentally unfriendly plastics used. Since PVC is a hard plastic, chemical plasticizers must be added to make it into a soft and flexible covering. These plasticizers (the most commonly used are phthalates) make up 30%-40% of the weight of the vinyl surface of a crib mattress. They are not bound to the vinyl and can leach out or off-gas into the surrounding air. Health effects associated with chemical plasticizers include reproductive harm, asthma, early onset of puberty, cancer, and kidney and liver damage.

It's important to know that although certain phthalates have been banned in the US, alternatives (including legal phthalate variants) are not tested and might be just as toxic. No one really knows what level of additives in vinyl is safe for babies. So when you see a product description with "non-toxic vinyl" or "phthalate-free vinyl", you need to understand that it's probably far from non-toxic.

Consider a new car smell. That's the plasticizers off-gassing from the vinyl seats. You get a similar smell from a vinyl shower curtain. These fumes should always be avoided since they are highly toxic. When these fumes are coming from crib mattresses, babies are breathing and absorbing them into their tiny developing bodies 10 - 14 hours a day.

It's a long article and you can find the rest of the article here:
http://www.healthychild.com/toxic-ba...ib-mattresses/

Jane

Healthy Child Empowers Parents to Make Informed Choices. Free Webinars and Articles on Holistic Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page