Are soft rubber/latex toys unsafe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-20-2010, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A well-meaning friend gave my son something like this:

http://www.officeplayground.com/Puff...-+pricegrabber

He loves the darn thing and I can't seem to sneak it away. But the thing just *looks* bad. It is a very soft rubber/latex (i think), but I can't seem to find much information about rubber. Could it have dangerous chemicals?

buddamomimg1.pngWriter/Designer/Hip Hippie Russian Mama to Torngtongue.gif (3yo) and Kboc.gif(4mo)

#2 of 9 Old 05-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Banned

The thing is, toys now are NOT rubber (unless they are crunchy toys! Like that Sophie giraffe or other natural baby toys, etc), they are other plastics, often with pthalates to soften them and prevent drying/cracking.

I've seen toys like that in stores and they just smell and feel funny, so they're on my no list, but I don't actually know about them per se.
#3 of 9 Old 05-21-2010, 02:01 PM

I'm pretty sure they are silicone which is actually pretty safe all things considered. I use them for adaptive purposes for chikdren who are low tone and the one's I have are silicone at least. Even latex/natural rubber has some issues so you are never 100% if something goes in the mouth (maybe wood without any treatment...stainless steel the new go to for NFL families even leaches a bit so ho hum).

Chocking though...I would worry aboutthat if your childis younger than say four...

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#4 of 9 Old 05-21-2010, 03:35 PM

I've smelled these things and they certainly smell like they're off-gassing. It would take some digging to find out just what chemicals goes into this toy. The retailers wouldn't know and the manufacturers are usually hard to find and to get clear answers. Natural rubber has to be processed with chemicals in order to be formed into balls like this. But without knowing what chemicals are involved, it's hard to say if it is safe, although I would guess not.

Jane

Healthy Child Empowers Parents to Make Informed Choices. Free Webinars and Articles on Holistic Parenting
#5 of 9 Old 05-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeshep View Post
I've smelled these things and they certainly smell like they're off-gassing. It would take some digging to find out just what chemicals goes into this toy. The retailers wouldn't know and the manufacturers are usually hard to find and to get clear answers. Natural rubber has to be processed with chemicals in order to be formed into balls like this. But without knowing what chemicals are involved, it's hard to say if it is safe, although I would guess not.

Jane

Not much digging, just a simple google of "puffer ball material"

Apparently the majority are made of Thermoplastic elastomers (TPE) aka thermoplastic rubbers aka Styrene-Ethylene-Butylene-Styrene (SEBS).

Greenpeace seems to consider them an acceptable alternative to PVC in toys.

From my brief look around google university, they seem to be widely accepted as being low to non toxic.

"Custom will reconcile people to any atrocity."
#6 of 9 Old 05-21-2010, 08:15 PM

My ds is VERY allergic to that kind of 'rubber' or whatever it is. He breaks out in a rash if he touches one.

The nasty smell they have puts me off anyway, it just smells 'toxic' to me. I dunno if it is, but either way, ds isnt allowed near them
#7 of 9 Old 05-21-2010, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I would be concerned about choking as well. Those things break pretty easily.

If it was actually latex, which is a natural material, it would be okay as long as your child is not allergic. Mine is, so that would be a big no-no in our house.

#8 of 9 Old 05-21-2010, 09:24 PM

I would only worry if your child is young and chews on it because the spikes can probably be bitten off. Otherwise, I think it is safe

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#9 of 9 Old 05-22-2010, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, you guys rock. I snuck it away for most of the day, but will let him have it for a bit here and there. With supervision. I haven't seen him stick it in his mouth yet, but the choking also worries me. Uggggh. Thank again! Maybe it's the toxic color they use for these things that makes me think it is darn near radioactive???

buddamomimg1.pngWriter/Designer/Hip Hippie Russian Mama to Torngtongue.gif (3yo) and Kboc.gif(4mo)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page