How strict is the "20 pound rule"? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 06-05-2010, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We were another turn early (18m). Unless someone was sitting back with him he would cry and scream the whole trip (we do 10 hour road trips every few weeks). So lucky mommy spent 18m riding in the back all the time. Then around 17m he would become violently car sick (more actively looking outside). We had to pull over on a major highway because he was beginning to choke on his own vomit. From the moment we turned him we have never had another issue with car sickness or reluctance to travel.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#32 of 34 Old 06-05-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
Yes, please turn those little ones back around! Like someone said, it might help if you install the seat more upright so they can see.

I don't know if anyone posted this, but this is a very good video that shows what can happen to a small child FF'ing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gU9zzCGA8

FWIW, my 5yo son and almost-3yo nephew are both still RF'ing. Neither has complained one bit and in fact, they sleep in the car a lot better RF'ing too.
Every time I see this video it makes me cry. I wish I could keep all my kids rear facing!
But for sure my baby is staying that way as long as possible.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#33 of 34 Old 06-05-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
Yes, please turn those little ones back around! Like someone said, it might help if you install the seat more upright so they can see.

I don't know if anyone posted this, but this is a very good video that shows what can happen to a small child FF'ing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gU9zzCGA8

FWIW, my 5yo son and almost-3yo nephew are both still RF'ing. Neither has complained one bit and in fact, they sleep in the car a lot better RF'ing too.
Thanks everyone! I am turning the seat around before we go out today.
#34 of 34 Old 06-05-2010, 10:20 AM

Both my girls were car screamers. My first was the worst by far, and she was turned forwards facing at 9months and 9kg (as UK minimums were at the time when I had never heard of extended rearfacing or had a clue where you could buy seats as they certainly weren't available in the UK except as super expensive special needs seats then). She continued screaming regularly in the car until around 18 months when there was steady gradual improvement until she became truly happy in the car around 3 years old.

My second screamed every journey until around 18 months when we bought the rearfacing Group 1 seat for her which was much bigger, roomier and much higher up so she could see out of the windows of the car. She was instantly a lot better and funnily enough when we had to put her ff on a trip back to visit family for a day or two last month (at 2y2m) she screamed and vomited much more often than she now does in her rearfacing seat.

Its just a matter of maturity and finding a seat that works for them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page