favorite convertibles? I'm out of the loop. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-19-2010, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD2 just outgrew her snugride and I'm looking for a convertible. It seems like so much has changed since we bought DD1 a Britax Boulevard three years ago!

What are your recent favorites? I was just on the Consumer Reports website (although I don't always agree with them, and I HATE it when people on Amazon give car seats five star reviews just because CR rated them highly) and saw some new highly rated car seats I haven't seen before. Anyone tried out the triumph advance?

I noticed the roundabout can now rf up to 35lbs. Any thoughts on it?

DD2 is a HUGE baby, so I'm looking for a fat-thigh friendly seat. DD1 was/is petite, so this is new for me.

: 10/06 : 10/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2010, 11:03 PM

If it were me, I would go with a True Fit Premier. I have a True Fit and love it, but I don't have the Premier (which has a rebound bar) simply because it wasn't released yet when I got mine.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:14 PM

We have a Recaro Signo, we like it very much.

fly-by-nursing1.gifSAHM living on the beautiful Eastern Shore with my husband the car nut banghead.gif, and bebe Eleanor, born 9/16/09 luxlove.gif plus two kitties! cat.gif
Old 06-19-2010, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Convertibles that will last you the longest rfing and ffing (good shell height and weight limits) are, in no particular order:

First Years True Fit (only rf to 35lbs)
Sunshine Kids Radian (rf to 40-45lbs)
Graco MyRide (shorter shell than the others, so will be outgrown sooner, but rf to 40lbs)
Safety First Complete Air (rf to 40lbs)

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Old 06-20-2010, 01:00 AM

the true fit and the radians would be at the top of my list.

-Angela
Old 06-20-2010, 02:01 AM

I am not a fan of my truefit premier. Its a royal PITA to install (cause' you have to use the lockoffs for a seatbelt install), its huge front-back *AND* side-side, and its a absolute PITA to tighten/loosen straps (cause' the adjuster, even with the arb, is buried in the freaking seat. HORRIBLE design!!).

I love my evenflo triumph advance. Its like, the easiest seat to get the straps in the right spot - its practicly automatic, just set'm in, and push a lever and pull on the strap to loosen, and then turn a knob to tighten. *NEVER* mess w/ different settings. Its great. And its super easy to install in every car I've ever put it in. Love it.

I'm OK w/ the complete air. As long as it doesn't have to be super-reclined its not that huge front-back, and fairly thin width wise. Its fairly easy to install and tighten/loosen straps. *WAY* preferable to the TFP. *WAY* *WAY* *WAY*!!
Old 06-20-2010, 02:20 PM

The True Fit has a continuous loop harness, so if you just leave it tight enough and don't loosen it each time it's not a problem. I just pull one side of the harness to put one arm and then pull the other sider to put her second arm in. It's only annoying when you have to change how tight the harness is because of growth.

I really love our true fit, I just wish it rf to 40 lbs instead of 35 (and maybe I could do with the mandatory lockoffs as well, but they aren't too bad).
Old 06-20-2010, 03:38 PM

And that may or may not work OK with a fully awake co-operaitng cihld. But with a child who is asleep (and whom you'd prefer *stays* asleep), or one who is not thrilled with getting into the seat, it quite simply does not. And as my child is frequently not pleased about getting into his seat, and fairly often asleep when we get home... it doesn't. At least a couple times a week I find myself fighting with the stupid straps. And I hate it. I keep contemplating flipping him around just so I don't have to deal with the stupid thing anymore.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:49 PM

I still love our 2 Blvds. DD is 2.5yrs, 37" and 31lbs and is still refacing. She is in the 90% for height and 75% for weight. I can estimate she will be rfing to at least her 3rd birthday. They are super comfy, easy to install and come in great prints (if that matters to you).

I've heard great things about the Radians and the TF, but I've also heard lots of mamas complain about the install. If you can, I would go to BRU and try them out in your car first.

**side note: I bought an Evenflo Triumph Advance for my parent's car and it's pretty good. We don't put the kids in it for longer than a 1/2 hr though because it doesn't offer much padding.

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
Old 06-20-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
And that may or may not work OK with a fully awake co-operaitng cihld. But with a child who is asleep (and whom you'd prefer *stays* asleep), or one who is not thrilled with getting into the seat, it quite simply does not. And as my child is frequently not pleased about getting into his seat, and fairly often asleep when we get home... it doesn't. At least a couple times a week I find myself fighting with the stupid straps. And I hate it. I keep contemplating flipping him around just so I don't have to deal with the stupid thing anymore.
My post was more directed at the OP, I was just trying to give a different perpective that for other people the True Fit harness adjuster button is not an issue (and I do frequently remove my child from the True fit while sleeping, but I've been using a seat with a continuous loop harness since she was 4 months and she's now almost 3 years, so maybe she is used to it, or a more sound sleeper). I just didn't want the OP to completely discount the True Fit because of that issue, when it isn't an issue for everybody. I wasn't saying that you specifically shouldn't have a problem with it. Not every seat works for everybody.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:13 PM

We like our Radians very much, but the install can be tricky. I bought ours because we were in a three-across situation, and the Radian was literally the only choice that fit. But if I had to do it again, I wouldn't buy one unless I had the chance to try it in my own car first-- to make sure I wasn't going to spend frustrated hours wrestling with it trying to get it to install properly.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 06-20-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaynesMom View Post
My post was more directed at the OP, I was just trying to give a different perpective that for other people the True Fit harness adjuster button is not an issue (and I do frequently remove my child from the True fit while sleeping, but I've been using a seat with a continuous loop harness since she was 4 months and she's now almost 3 years, so maybe she is used to it, or a more sound sleeper). I just didn't want the OP to completely discount the True Fit because of that issue, when it isn't an issue for everybody. I wasn't saying that you specifically shouldn't have a problem with it. Not every seat works for everybody.
We don't have the issue with the adjuster button - it seems to vary from car to car whether this will be an issue with the True Fit.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:37 AM

We are really happy with our MyRide. A lot of people complain about the deep natural recline, but DS is a child who falls asleep in the car quite a bit... and the recline is such that his head never bobbles forward... always comfortably to the side. The padding is nice. I can get a good install on it (I never could get a good install on our previous convertible--the AOE). It takes up less front-back room than our AOE (more leg room for us!) And it has a nice, high RF weight limit

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
Old 06-21-2010, 01:37 PM

We love our Radian!

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
Old 06-21-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettymom View Post
I noticed the roundabout can now rf up to 35lbs. Any thoughts on it?

DD2 is a HUGE baby, so I'm looking for a fat-thigh friendly seat. DD1 was/is petite, so this is new for me.
we bought the RA50 when dd outgrew the bucket. She's a tall babe, and has plenty of room. From looking at the sides, there seems to be plenty of room to grow. I researched it and for what we paid, i feel like it was the best deal without going broke. i like the extended rear facing, she seems comfy in it. we're pretty happy with it (however, it's the only seat we've had besides the bucket). i'd recommend it.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 06-22-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odenata View Post
We don't have the issue with the adjuster button - it seems to vary from car to car whether this will be an issue with the True Fit.
We don't have an issue with our TrueFit either - I'm really happy with the seat. I rarely adjust the harness (and yes I have forced a non-cooperating 2yo into it and removed a sleeping child from it, both without adjusting the harness), but then, I've always had a continuous harness so I'm used to it. When I do adjust it it's a bit tricky (I agree that location was not brilliant design) but it's not THAT bad.

I LOVE the lockoffs. I switch vehicles regularly so I have to reinstall a lot and sometimes I'm using older cars without locking seatbelts (such as our '95 truck). The lockoffs are SOOO much better than a locking clip. Also, I often use cars without LATCH, and I prefer the lockoff to locking the lap/shoulder belt, because locking the belt always causes the seat to lean terribly. When using the LATCH strap, the lockoffs do seem redundant, but it takes about 3 seconds to do them so it's hardly a dealbreaker.

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
Old 06-22-2010, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
another tfp fan. while it's not perfect. it works for us. i'm able to have dd behind me and i drive a small older civic

i hate the lockoffs, but i don't have to move the seat much. though it fits nice and tight.

dd seems comfy in the seat and it doesn't seem to get too hot in these crazy hot summer days.

as for the adjusting. the trick it to pull up any slack from the underside. i never have issues getting more length, it's just to tighten. i do have the rebound bar and feel it probably helps

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 06-22-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post
we bought the RA50 when dd outgrew the bucket. She's a tall babe, and has plenty of room. From looking at the sides, there seems to be plenty of room to grow. I researched it and for what we paid, i feel like it was the best deal without going broke. i like the extended rear facing, she seems comfy in it. we're pretty happy with it (however, it's the only seat we've had besides the bucket). i'd recommend it.
Just as an FYI, the RA50 is not the same as the regular roundabout. The regular one has a super short shell that is outgrown very young rearfacing by average-to-tall sized children. I have a 17mo cousin who had outgrown it FORWARD facing by height. The RA50 is actually more like a stripped-down Marathan than a Roundabout (and yes, Britax's naming system is bizarre). My major beef with the seat is the lack of RF legroom for older RF kids. The shell is ok but not great. I'd rather the MyRide, which has the same shell height, a 40lb RF limit, and loads more legroom for less $$, or the Truefit, with a higher shell and more legroom.

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
Old 06-22-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smidge View Post
I've heard great things about the Radians and the TF, but I've also heard lots of mamas complain about the install. If you can, I would go to BRU and try them out in your car first.

**side note: I bought an Evenflo Triumph Advance for my parent's car and it's pretty good. We don't put the kids in it for longer than a 1/2 hr though because it doesn't offer much padding.
I love our Radian, but it is a PITA to install in some vehicles. My MIL has the TF in her car and I like it too. We also have a Triumph Advance and I think it's padded well enough. It was our main seat for over a year and we took two cross country trips in it with no problems or complaints! I've also had no problems installing it in lots of different vehicles.

User Tag List