Can anybody recommend a cheap(er) HBB seat for a grandparent's car? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-09-2010, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I am wondering if anyone has any recommedations for an affordable option for a seat for a three-year old?

DS #1 is about 36 lbs and 39 inches tall. I also have DS@ who at five months is about 18 lbs and 27 inches. My mother watches them for me a few times a month, and currently in her car has a Cosco Scenera for DS1 and a base for the Snugride for DS2.

It won't be too long before DS2 outgrows his Snugride. My plan is to turn the Scenera rearfacing for DS2 and purchase some type of high-back booster with a harness for DS1.

I don't want to spend a ton of $$$ for the new seat for my mom's car. I obviously don't want to compromise their safety, but I am spending quite a bit just to outfit my vehicle with a new seat (planning to get a Frontier 85 for DS1 and DS2 would get the Marathon that DS1 is currently in) and won't have a lot of money left over for another new seat as well.

Are there any affordable options? I am hoping not to spend more than $100 if at all possible.

Thanks in advance!

Jackie, Catholic mama to Elijah (6/07) & Gabriel (2/10) and our angel baby, m/c 7/29/12. Expecting someone new in October 2014!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2010, 09:19 AM

How old is DS#1? Is he developmentally ready for a booster (ie a seat without a harness) or does he need a seat with a harness?

The evenflo Generations is pretty inexpensive and has a harness, but is kind of useless as a booster because of height issues (outgrown by height in both harnessed and booster mode at the same time).

The Graco Turbobooster is a HBB only and even cheaper, if he's ready for that...

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
Old 07-09-2010, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
A booster is not a safe or appropriate choice for a 3yo.

Look at the Evenflo Maestro for an inexpensive harnessed seat.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:48 AM

Ah, yes, I missed the 3yo part. I agree with Chickabiddy then, get something harnessed for now, or a combination (harness+booster) seat!

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
Old 07-09-2010, 12:07 PM

Yep, the Evenflo Maestro would be your best bet for an affordable combination seat (one that converts from a harnessed seat to a booster). This one is recommended alot because it harnesses to 50lbs rather than 40lbs like a lot of the other combination seats and it's more affordable than a seat like the Graco Nautilus.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Old 07-09-2010, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I should have clarified more.

I definitely want a harnessed seat. That is why I plan to go with the Frontier with my own car.

It seems like all the cheaper seats only harness up to 40lbs, and anything that goes higher than that runs into $$$.

I will take a look at the Maestro. Thanks!

Jackie, Catholic mama to Elijah (6/07) & Gabriel (2/10) and our angel baby, m/c 7/29/12. Expecting someone new in October 2014!
Old 07-09-2010, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yes, the maestro is your best bet. You will eventually need to buy another dedicated booster for her, but you can get a turbobooster for pretty cheap when the time comes (and ten to one at that point you'll need to pass the maestro down to ds2 who will be outgrowing the scenera).

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).

User Tag List