Amusement park rides-What's your take on them? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-12-2010, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My oldest two started riding last year. There are only a handful of companies that do the fairs and festivals in my area. One of them practically has a monopoly around here, but they have a spotless safety record and the nicest and newest rides. I took DS2 on the big ferris wheel at a church festival last night and he LOVED it! DS1 is tall enough to ride some of the bigger rides, but I'm still unsure about letting him go. I should specify-he's tall enough to ride with an adult, but not alone, so he would be going on with me. But what he doesn't understand is that no one is going to stop the big rides if he decides he doesn't like it, like they do with the kiddie rides.

Like I said before, there's never been any accidents around here. I know there are plenty of horror stories out there, but I think the key to avoiding them is to do your homework-not just with the ride companies but with the rides themselves. If I ever thought something didn't look right, or I didn't trust the operator, I won't ride or let my kids ride.

What about you?

Due to increases in operating costs, decreases in revenue and market instability, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010, 02:03 PM

We do not do any carnival or travelling rides.

We have done established amusement parks - Six Flags, Dollywood.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post
We do not do any carnival or travelling rides.

We have done established amusement parks - Six Flags, Dollywood.
Likewise. I just don't trust rides that are set up, taken down, moved, set back up, taken back down, etc.....
Old 07-12-2010, 02:52 PM

I ride on them and would let my kids ride them. I wouldn't allow a child to ride on something really extreme that I KNEW they wouldn't be able to handle. Otherwise, I would let them ride with me and if they decided it was too much, then they would know they didn't want to ride it again. I suppose it would also depend on their age/maturity.

We're going to be going to the county fair I grew up attending and, if it's allowed, I plan on taking my 7mo on the carousel and ferris wheel.

Lore, mom to my sweet little boy, born at home 11/09, and my spunky little girl, born in the hospital 10/10

Old 07-12-2010, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

DS1 wants to go on the Hurricane, but he hates the sound of the hydraulics when they release. I tried to explain to him that the sound will be much louder once we're ON the ride. So I think we're gonna wait on that. I'm a HUGE fan of the old Chance rides- Zipper, Skywheel, Rock-O-Plane, all that stuff.

There are definitely rides I wont go on or ever let my kids go on. The Himalaya (or Flying Bobs-goes by many names) has a horrible accident history, and no Yo-Yo.

Our nearest Six Flags closed a few years ago And the second closest parks are Cedar Point and Kennywood. Hmm...maybe a day at Kennywood is in order

Due to increases in operating costs, decreases in revenue and market instability, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Kennywood is AWESOME!!!! We time our vacations out East to visit family so we can go!

I have no problem with established rides at amusement parks and the smaller portable ones, personally. My oldest is tall for his age and has alredy been on several big coasters (he's not afraid of them at all!)

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Old 07-12-2010, 04:39 PM

We buy season passes at our local water/amusement park - ds is tall and has been riding the big rides for a couple of years now! He has no fear at all - heck, I'm more scared than he is.

As long as he's tall enough and I feel he can handle the ride, he can go on it all he wants.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

Old 07-13-2010, 05:28 PM

I don't do traveling rides, but I'm a fiend for roller coasters at permanent locations. Maybe we'd do a seriously tame thing, like a baby train or something, but I don't trust carnival rides.

And no inflatables ever.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

Old 07-15-2010, 05:28 AM

Amusement parks yes... Carnivals heck no! I don't care how spotless their record looks carnival rides aren't held to the same safety standards as actual amusement parks. DH has worked at Kennywood for 14 summers. 5 of those in Kiddieland and long before we even thought of having children he informed me our kids would NEVER be allowed to ride carnival rides. I agree with him... I've seen just how flimsy they are.

Wife (32) to DH (33) Mom to DS 2 and Twin DD's born 8/11
Old 07-15-2010, 12:03 PM

My state has pretty tough regulations for rides compared to some other places. Portable rides are inspected by state inspectors every time they're set up at a new location. Amusement park rides are also inspected by state inspectors, semi-annually if I recall correctly, and I think they can do unannounced inspections as well. There have been very few injury accidents here (they have to be reported per state law), and amusement park rides seem to be no safer than portable ones. Inflatables are also regulated, but I'm not sure about inspections.

So far, I don't have a problem letting my kids ride whatever they meet the requirements for. My son is still too little to go on anything, but my daughter went on some kiddie rides at a little fair here and had a blast in the bounce house at a Fourth of July event. And I'm really excited about talking them to the state fair this fall where we will definitely be riding some rides. When they get older and can ride the big rides, I might be a bit cautious at first, but after awhile they will be able to ride whatever they want.

If we wanted to go somewhere out of state, I would find out the state's regulations and park safety record first. I know some places have few if any regulations which is scary.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:29 PM

We also only ride permanent rides, not traveling ones. So no carnivals, fairs, etc. I'm ok with Disney or Six Flags or things along those lines.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:56 PM

Another person here who will only ride permanent amusement park rides, not travelling rides.

I will not ride anything that is collapsible.

(No kids yet, this is a decision I made for myself.)

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

Old 07-15-2010, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
omg my ex was fascinated with them since he was a kid. my dd too.

she has been riding the rides, esp the county fair that comes every year since she was what 2. she has gone on those rides with her dad.

there have been accidents in the State of California.

but i kinda dont look at that. dd has been in rides even on the Santa Cruz boardwalk. she has even taken rides on local farmer's market rides.

the thought that these rides may be unsafe has never entered my mind.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

User Tag List