Large crotch strap recommendations?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-15-2010, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just posted about the nautilus not having a large enough crotch strap. We love it except for that. I'm looking for a 3 in 1 type of carseat to put my almost 3 yr old in. She's 34lbs, 37in. Anyone have any good recommendations?

Since the other post didn't get many replies, I'm hoping this one will.

Mama to three wonderful girls, H (9-2-04), A (8-23-07), and Q(4-24-11, our Easter baby). Married to D since (6-3-00).

#2 of 11 Old 07-15-2010, 12:43 PM

The Nautilus is the only combination seat (to my knowledge) which can go from harness to high back booster to backless booster. The Frontier/Frontier 85 goes from a harness to a high back but no backless, AFAIK.

lady.gif Kaitlyn,partners.gif Sweetheart To My Prince Charming reading.gif & Mama To My Fur-baby flowerkitty.gif
#3 of 11 Old 07-15-2010, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You could do an evenflo maestro and then plan on a dedicated booster later. It would still be cheaper than the frontier. The maestro is usually around 75 and you can get a turbobooster for 40-50.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#4 of 11 Old 07-15-2010, 03:20 PM

We have a Frontier 85 and we are very, very happy with it.
The crotch strap was one of the reasons I chose it over the Nautilus.
I have a small 5yo (not sure of size, sorry... maybe 40 lbs?) who is particular about how the strap rides and is not on the farthest out setting yet.

me dh ds1 (11/04) ds2 (7/10) and
#5 of 11 Old 07-15-2010, 03:50 PM

Wow, I don't spend a lot of time in Family Safety, but I think your thread title is awesome.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#6 of 11 Old 07-15-2010, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Haha! The title is a bit amusing isn't it? Guess I had a one track mind going on. Thanks for the recommendations. Is the evenflo maestro larger on the bottom or adjustable? I would love a britax frontier but it is a bit out of our price range at the moment.

Mama to three wonderful girls, H (9-2-04), A (8-23-07), and Q(4-24-11, our Easter baby). Married to D since (6-3-00).

#7 of 11 Old 07-15-2010, 05:07 PM

You might be able to find a frontier on clearance since the 85 is out now.

-Angela
#8 of 11 Old 07-15-2010, 06:36 PM

The maestro has 2 crotch positions. Not sure how it compares to the nautlilus offhand, but fits both of my older kiddos fine.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#9 of 11 Old 08-04-2010, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

So it's been a bit since I've looked up laws and safety but isn't the top of the carseat supposed to be above the childs head by at least an inch? This add of the maestro shows the older kids heads above the carseat. Is that okay?
http://www.evenflo.com/product.aspx?id=315&pfid=3462

I'm having a really hard time finding a carseat in our price range that I like as much as the nautilus but with more crotch strap room. I really like the frontier 85 but can't find it cheaper than $279. We're more in the $150 and under range. We've debated putting our almost 6 yr old in just a high back booster with the car seatbelt, but it just does not seem safe enough for me yet. She's so tiny and has a hard time sitting correctly because of high sensitivity.

Thanks yet again for anyone who has info/recommendations!!

#10 of 11 Old 08-04-2010, 01:36 PM

We chose the Frontier over the Nautilus for that reason. I figure ds will be in it for a long time yet and we can just buy a $20 backless booster if we need it in the future.

I got the Frontier (before the new 85 came out) for about $210, it was more than the Nautilus, but I felt it was worth it because we would get years of use out of it.

The Frontier is on sale on amazon for $239 with free shipping

$238 on diapers.com, they have a 15% britax sale now
#11 of 11 Old 08-04-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floiejo2 View Post
So it's been a bit since I've looked up laws and safety but isn't the top of the carseat supposed to be above the childs head by at least an inch? This add of the maestro shows the older kids heads above the carseat. Is that okay?
http://www.evenflo.com/product.aspx?id=315&pfid=3462

I'm having a really hard time finding a carseat in our price range that I like as much as the nautilus but with more crotch strap room. I really like the frontier 85 but can't find it cheaper than $279. We're more in the $150 and under range. We've debated putting our almost 6 yr old in just a high back booster with the car seatbelt, but it just does not seem safe enough for me yet. She's so tiny and has a hard time sitting correctly because of high sensitivity.

Thanks yet again for anyone who has info/recommendations!!
No, the 1" rule is for rfing. For ffing the tips of the ears need to be even with or below the top of the shell.

If your 6you can't sit properly a belt positioning booster is not appropriate. If she can, then it is entirely safe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page