who has 3 in a small suv - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-18-2010, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are looking to downsize to a small suv. Currently we are in a minivan. I have a RF 9 month old whose seat needs to be replaced the end of this year. My 3.5 yo son is FF in either a nautilus or a cosco booster/carseat (using the harness). I prefer him in the nautilus because he still sleeps in the car sometimes and the cosco doesn't give him a head rest. My 6 yo is in a graco turbo booster.

So, who do you have where in this kind of scenario?

I hate having my older dd in a booster, but am not sure I can convince her to go back harnessing, and I'm not sure it's safer. I seem to remember seeing something about how harnessing past a certain point is actually less safe. It's so hard to reach the buckle in a booster with 2 carseats.

Suggestions for cars/seats, anything?

hh2.gif

#2 of 7 Old 07-18-2010, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There is no proof that harnessing or boostering is safer for older children who can sit properly in a booster. The Swedes actually believe that it is less safe to have children harnessed ffing due to the load on the neck.

Since you're just looking for an SUV, I would take your seats to the dealers and try them out. IMO, I think you're probably going to need 1-2 radians to make this work. The nautilus doesn't tend to puzzle nicely with other seats.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 7 Old 07-18-2010, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

No, the nautilus is a great seat for a bucket seat captains chair type thing. But I hate trying to put it next to something. I think I'll end up trying a rf radian and a ff radian. We need the new seats anyway, and the car downsize is going to save us money.

hh2.gif

#4 of 7 Old 07-18-2010, 10:40 PM

I just downsized from a minivan to a small SUV with three kids. I have a BMW X5 and the backseat is TINY--it's pretty small to begin with, and then they added these bolsters to the side, which take off a good 4" at each side. We bought new seats for the 3-across (Radian, Complete Air, and Coccoro).

CPST & mom

#5 of 7 Old 07-21-2010, 01:51 PM

we have a 2000 crv with frontier, rf radian, nautilus/sometimes turbobooster. i'd suggest at least one radian. good luck!
#6 of 7 Old 07-21-2010, 02:03 PM

I guess my set-up doesn't qualify as real help, but we have an older Escape with a booster and a TruFit (rear facing). My third is 4'9" and almost 70 pounds, so he recently came out of his booster. When he was in it, we had two boosters and a Britax Dec. Not easy, but workable.

I am actually moving in the opposite direction and buying an Odyssey, but my kids are just tall and the SUV no longer works for any of us.

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#7 of 7 Old 07-21-2010, 04:14 PM

We have 3 across in a Jeep Liberty, RF Scenera/Snugride 35/FF Complete Air

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page