When do you give up the booster seat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-20-2010, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son is 6.5, 66 lbs and 50" My husband thinks he will be fine without a booster seat (and unfortunately has told DS this, so now he wants to stop using it), but I don't have the information to back up my hesitancy.

Is it ok?

Thanks ladies.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When they pass the 5-step test.

It is most highly unlikely that even the biggest 6.5 year old is anywhere near ready to ride with just a seatbelt.

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

Old 07-20-2010, 12:44 AM

Here is the "law sheet" from TN...the booster law here is 8 years and 4'9" (which is 57"). Bold/large text is the law, smaller text is "best practice" information from national safety advocates.

Others can chime in with the 5 step test.

I know for us, in one of our cars, our daughters fit the adult seatbelt at a little less than 57"...but for the most part that was pretty much right on--it happened around 7-8 years old for both our older girls (tall for their age).

Melissa, loving wife love.gif and mama to 4 girls now! DD 12, DD 10 1/2, DD 4, DD 2 Happily homeschool.gif, doing lots of hang.gif very little sleeping.gifof and as much as I can knit.gifsewmachine.gif reading.gif
Old 07-20-2010, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you so much!

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasthree View Post
Here is the "law sheet" from TN...the booster law here is 8 years and 4'9" (which is 57"). Bold/large text is the law, smaller text is "best practice" information from national safety advocates.

Others can chime in with the 5 step test.

I know for us, in one of our cars, our daughters fit the adult seatbelt at a little less than 57"...but for the most part that was pretty much right on--it happened around 7-8 years old for both our older girls (tall for their age).

It really varies on the child's torso height, not overall height, so it's hard to compare two children of different heights when the torso height is unknown.

Make sure the vehicle belt fits square on the shoulders first.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
Old 07-20-2010, 11:52 PM

No way. My large 8 year old just passed the 5 step but only in our van because it has the seatbelt in the rear that adjusts down.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
Old 07-21-2010, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I was going to let my dd move out of her booster seat when she was 8, but I was talking to my friend about this and she told me her friend was decapatated as an adult by a seat belt that fit improperly. I talked to dd about the safety aspects (without telling her how people can die just that they can) and she decided that she would rather stay in her booster seat until she can pass the 5 step test. She is very close because the seat belts in our car are low.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:48 AM

I need help too!! I can not fit another booster in my car, ugg.

I have a nearly 10 yr old. She's about 55 lbs and 55". I have my nearly 8 yr old in a high back booster (50 lbs, 52") on the outboard, the infant RF in a Marathon on the other outboard, and my almost 10 yr old in the seat in between them. I will check tomorrow but I do think the seatbelt comes down more across her neck rather than her chest, as the seatbelt is the kind coming out of the roof of the car for the middle seat.

When I try to force the extra booster in the middle, the bottom of the booster seats cover the buckles and I can't get them buckled. I've tried having 1 kid get in, then getting that child buckled, and trying to pull the unbuckled kid's seat forward, but it's too hard...they have sit in the seat to get it buckled, then I can't move it around,etc.

I drive a Murano.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

Old 07-21-2010, 05:36 AM

My 6.5 year old is still in a 5 pt harness. I plan to keep her there until she is 80 lbs, so probably 8 or 9 years old. My 9 year old is and 8 year old, are still in full, high back boosters, with side impact protection. It is not worth the risk of my childrens health, so they can be more comfortable in a car, or so it is more convenient for us to not have to deal with car seats or booster seats.

Melissa- homeschooling mom to Samantha ( 9) Gabby ( 8) Emma (6) and Diesel (12 months) and Rachel Rebecca Brock Erik Joe Noah 6-25-10 5 early miscarriages
Old 07-21-2010, 06:26 AM

Most car safety advocates are just barely moving their children INTO a biooster seat at that age, definitely NOT out of it.
Check your local laws - most states have upped their law to 8 years old and/or 80 lbs.

A child the size iof yours certainly doesn't fit into the adult seat belt correctly. Use the 5 step test and you'll be able to see which creiteria he does not meet (probably most, if not all of them).
Most kids NEED to be boostered until age 10 or beyond. Heck, as a five foot tall woman, *I* personally do not fit truly correctly in most vehicle seat belts.

CPST
Old 07-21-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got_Cloth View Post
My 6.5 year old is still in a 5 pt harness. I plan to keep her there until she is 80 lbs, so probably 8 or 9 years old. My 9 year old is and 8 year old, are still in full, high back boosters, with side impact protection. It is not worth the risk of my childrens health, so they can be more comfortable in a car, or so it is more convenient for us to not have to deal with car seats or booster seats.
I don't know of any seat on the market that will get an average child to 80lbs. Be aware that her seat will probably be outgrown by height before weight. She needs an inch of hard shell above her head and for the straps to come out ABOVE her shoulders. If she's in a regent or frontier 85 she should probably fit for awhile longer, but I've not known any kid to make it to 80lbs harnessed still fitting properly.

-Angela
Old 07-21-2010, 12:13 PM

We've chosen to follow the strictest laws(I think NJ is one of them, I could be wrong). Which is at least 8 years old AND 80lbs. (obviously, they would also need to fit properly, so a very heavy but short child might meet the weight, but not the height)

DS1 is 8 years old and not quite 60lbs. yet. He is still in a booster, high back in my car, backless in our other car. He isn't too happy about the prospect of still being in one when he's 10, but frankly I don't care.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
We've chosen to follow the strictest laws(I think NJ is one of them, I could be wrong). Which is at least 8 years old AND 80lbs. (obviously, they would also need to fit properly, so a very heavy but short child might meet the weight, but not the height)

DS1 is 8 years old and not quite 60lbs. yet. He is still in a booster, high back in my car, backless in our other car. He isn't too happy about the prospect of still being in one when he's 10, but frankly I don't care.
Us too. My almost 9 year old is in a high back booster. And he will remain in one until he meets the height requirements.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
Old 07-21-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I don't know of any seat on the market that will get an average child to 80lbs. Be aware that her seat will probably be outgrown by height before weight. She needs an inch of hard shell above her head and for the straps to come out ABOVE her shoulders. If she's in a regent or frontier 85 she should probably fit for awhile longer, but I've not known any kid to make it to 80lbs harnessed still fitting properly.

-Angela
Actually the inch above the head is for rf, ff they need hard shell to the tips of their ears.

Kaitlyn, partner to my sweetheart , expecting our first June '15

Old 07-21-2010, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
(and)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchycanadian View Post
Actually the inch above the head is for rf, ff they need hard shell to the tips of their ears.
Some come close in a Frontier85 and a few in a Regent, but I agree that most seats with a harness capacity of 80# do not actually get most kids to 80#. What seat do you have, Got_Cloth?

I also need to add that it is not safeST to harness physically and developmentally typical kids to 80#. There is some nonconclusive evidence that harnessing is safer in certain crashes, and some nonconclusive evidence that boostering is safer in certain crashes. For children who can use boosters properly (taking into account maturity and impulse control as well as age, size, and vehicle suitability), there is no evidence that harnessing is any safer than boostering.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It is my opinion, based on reading every relevant report I can get my hands on, that a child who is physically large enough and developmentally mature enough to use a BPB correctly is better off belted than harnessed. The explosive retraction of the integrated seatbelt is a darn good feature. Dinky little harnesses just don't compare. It was with great relief that I transitioned my four-year-old to a BPB, and my youngest is going to stay rear-facing until she can use a BPB. I think extended FFing harnessing is going to be regarded, historically, as a bad call.

That said, once a kid is in a BPB and getting the benefit of the integrated belt, I'm happy to keep using the booster as long as it gets a good fit. My large 6 y.o. fits beautifully in his Turbobooster. I fully expect that he will be at least 8 before he is equally well-fitted without a booster. If you remove the booster and the seatbelt is slashing across the kid's neck, then either you don't drive all 3 at one time or you get a new car, or you disregard the law and put the child in the front seat with their booster.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchycanadian View Post
Duh. Thanks! Typing too fast in the morning- thanks for correcting

-Angela
Old 07-22-2010, 12:03 AM

DD1 turns 9 in 2 weeks. She's still boostered and probably still will be on her next birthday, too.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!

User Tag List