3 yo and lawn mowing - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 76 Old 07-24-2010, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by odenata View Post
This is why automatic shut off is so important.
It automatically stops making it spin, but it doesn't have breaks and it continues spinning until it slows down and stops. If you fall in the path of the blade while it's spinning, you will still get hurt. Not as badly as if it didn't shut off, but you can still get hurt pretty badly.
#62 of 76 Old 07-24-2010, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisCat View Post
What I found most shocking was how many one, two, and three year olds were injured.
I wish there was something that actually broke it all down....the majority of those injuries could be burns from running out to daddy after he's done mowing and touching the mower, or something like injuries from shooting rocks or sticks when parents let their toddlers run around while the lawn is being mowed. Plus, TONS of people I know let their toddlers ride on the riding lawn mowers with them. I can see why the number is so high, in other words...
#63 of 76 Old 07-24-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post
It automatically stops making it spin, but it doesn't have breaks and it continues spinning until it slows down and stops. If you fall in the path of the blade while it's spinning, you will still get hurt. Not as badly as if it didn't shut off, but you can still get hurt pretty badly.
I checked ours today and the blade stops in about one second. It's not a prolonged unspinning, in other words, at least for ours.
#64 of 76 Old 07-24-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasiya View Post
I wish there was something that actually broke it all down....the majority of those injuries could be burns from running out to daddy after he's done mowing and touching the mower, or something like injuries from shooting rocks or sticks when parents let their toddlers run around while the lawn is being mowed.
It said burns accounted for almost 42% of the injuries to those 5 and under.

Quote:
I can see why the number is so high, in other words...
Which is why I don't let my little ones out while DH cuts the grass. I guess it just surprised me that it was as high as the age group that might actually be mowing the lawn. These little ones got injured from just being around while someone was mowing.
#65 of 76 Old 07-24-2010, 05:14 PM

I'm confused as to why it matters if the injury is a burn or an amputation? I don't mean that in a snarky way, I am just wondering why it is being brought up so much. I understand that an amputation is MUCH more serious of course but I also would like to prevent even a "minor" burn, especially if preventing it is as easy as not allowing my child outside while the lawn is being mowed, KWIM?
#66 of 76 Old 07-24-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyactsofcharity View Post
I'm confused as to why it matters if the injury is a burn or an amputation? I don't mean that in a snarky way, I am just wondering why it is being brought up so much. I understand that an amputation is MUCH more serious of course but I also would like to prevent even a "minor" burn, especially if preventing it is as easy as not allowing my child outside while the lawn is being mowed, KWIM?
It's being brought up because a poster wondered why the toddler category was as high in accidents as the older kids category, and we already know the majority of injuries aren't from amputations. Just giving ideas as to what could be happening to the toddlers to cause injury.
#67 of 76 Old 07-24-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyactsofcharity View Post
I find it interesting for two reasons.
1) Burns most likely happen after mowing when the lawn mower is off, and many people might have their guard down. I think it's a good reminder that a gas lawn mower can be dangerously hot even when off.
2) The electric mower I have doesn't get hot, which makes me like it even more!
#68 of 76 Old 07-24-2010, 05:59 PM

My summer camp counselor lost an arm from doing that exact same thing. Her grandpa thought she would be safe behind the mover, but it ws a freak accident and she had to have her arm removed including some of the shoulder. She was 3 when it happend (and now she can do anythign one-armed, including braid her hair and doing gymnastics!)

Maybe get him a bubble mower and have him mow his own section of grass far away from where you are or something.
#69 of 76 Old 07-24-2010, 06:19 PM

I honestly think it depends on the mower.

We have an electric mower with a rear flap and it's all encased in plastic, and it has a dead man's switch. It would have a hard time flinging anything up to any real degree.

That said, I do tend to keep my son reasonably far away from it, but I don't think it's a huge danger. No sandals while doing yardwork though.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#70 of 76 Old 07-24-2010, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I checked ours today and the blade stops in about one second. It's not a prolonged unspinning, in other words, at least for ours.
How long does it take to fall down? Less than a second.
#71 of 76 Old 07-24-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
I just made a comment. I never said it was accident proof.
#72 of 76 Old 07-24-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
It's being brought up because a poster wondered why the toddler category was as high in accidents as the older kids category, and we already know the majority of injuries aren't from amputations. Just giving ideas as to what could be happening to the toddlers to cause injury.
Gotcha, that is a good thought

Quote:
I find it interesting for two reasons.
1) Burns most likely happen after mowing when the lawn mower is off, and many people might have their guard down. I think it's a good reminder that a gas lawn mower can be dangerously hot even when off.
2) The electric mower I have doesn't get hot, which makes me like it even more!
I think that is interesting as well! It's cool that your electric mower doesn't get hot, we've been looking in to one of those.
#73 of 76 Old 07-25-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
1) Burns most likely happen after mowing when the lawn mower is off, and many people might have their guard down.
It looks like they excluded injuries that occurred while the mower was "non-operational." Not sure if that means like not on or more like not in use though.

Quote:
Finally, data entries were eliminated when the injuries occurred while the mower was nonoperational. http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...ull/118/2/e273
#74 of 76 Old 07-25-2010, 09:42 AM

I have not read more than the first three replies, but I have to say - I would never have mowed the lawn and allowed a 3yo to "help". And I am one of the more permissive parents I know. That just isn't safe, IMO. Stuff gets thrown by the mower, it is very loud for little ears, and neither you nor the child are able to give 100% attention to the task at hand and safety.

It really isn't a brilliant idea. IMO, of course.
#75 of 76 Old 07-26-2010, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I only read the first page, but this is NOT a good idea for anyone involved.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#76 of 76 Old 07-26-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
True, but how would you fall under the mower?

FTR, I mow frequently with my 1 yo on my back, and my 3 and 5 year olds riding their balance bikes or playing ball nearby. I wouldn't want my 3 yo helping push the mower, if for no other reason than it's a PITA to have to walk around their legs, and it would take longer than if I just did it myself. Maybe park him in a chair nearby with a popsicle, or give him some bubbles, or let him play in the sprinkler while you mow. I wouldn't be comfortable being outside with a 3 yo alone indoors, especially since you couldn't hear over the mower.

CPST & mom

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page