Just buckled in for a 5 year old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-22-2010, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

OK, So my hubbie took my son, age 5, out to test-drive cars. I said: "That must have been a pain putting the car seat in and out" and, he said "Oh, no; I just buckled him in like a big boy."

OK, so I get upset, and he says I'm overreacting, that he must be big enough soon.

My son is 43 inches and 33 lbs. Our cars have a Britax Marathon, good up to 65lbs. But I worry as DH is open in situations where he we have to be sure everyone has the right seat for an outing (ie. with three cousins, two cars, etc.)

Am I wrong? Or is there something I can show DH to help him understand the importance of the carseat even though DS is "big".

#2 of 13 Old 07-22-2010, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What state are you in? It's very likely that your son is not old enough to legally ride with a belt alone.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#3 of 13 Old 07-22-2010, 10:49 PM

Ok, so I looked at your past posts, and your in MA. MA law requires an appropriate child restraint until age 7 and 57".

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#4 of 13 Old 07-22-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KempsMama View Post
Ok, so I looked at your past posts, and your in MA. MA law requires an appropriate child restraint until age 7 and 57".
:
At the very least your DS needs to be in a belt positioning booster if for no other reason than that it is illegal.

student momma to two great girls

#5 of 13 Old 07-22-2010, 11:01 PM

33lbs? No way, no how. A booster isn't even close to ok at that weight.
#6 of 13 Old 07-22-2010, 11:17 PM

I totally agree he should still be harnessed, I was just giving the OP some ammo for her husband.

#7 of 13 Old 07-22-2010, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Actually, a 5yo, even a small 5yo, is usually okay in a booster, provided it fits well and he can use it properly.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#8 of 13 Old 07-23-2010, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'd have that 5 y.o. in a belt-postioning booster. I prefer them to extended harnessing FFing. And you might get better complicance from DH in future situations if he just had to move a booster around instead of a huge heavy seat.

However, just the seat belt is not OK. Obviously. Nobody was hurt, so there's no use fuming about it anymore, but you were certianly right to be angry!
#9 of 13 Old 07-23-2010, 05:58 PM

Isn't 33lbs. small for a booster? I think the law in CA is 4 years and at least 40 pounds for a booster.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#10 of 13 Old 07-23-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie View Post
I'd have that 5 y.o. in a belt-postioning booster. I prefer them to extended harnessing FFing. And you might get better complicance from DH in future situations if he just had to move a booster around instead of a huge heavy seat.

However, just the seat belt is not OK. Obviously. Nobody was hurt, so there's no use fuming about it anymore, but you were certianly right to be angry!
Why do you prefer boosters to extended harnessing? Is there something bad about harnessing at that age/weight?
#11 of 13 Old 07-23-2010, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
Isn't 33lbs. small for a booster? I think the law in CA is 4 years and at least 40 pounds for a booster.
No.

California state law requires proper use to 6y/60#: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...le=27360-27368 .

This means that a child can use a booster as soon as s/he meets the manufacturer's minimums, which for many highbacked boosters is 3y/30#. I do not recommend putting a 3yo in a booster, but it is not illegal.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#12 of 13 Old 07-23-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
No.

California state law requires proper use to 6y/60#: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...le=27360-27368 .

This means that a child can use a booster as soon as s/he meets the manufacturer's minimums, which for many highbacked boosters is 3y/30#. I do not recommend putting a 3yo in a booster, but it is not illegal.
Good to know, thanks!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#13 of 13 Old 07-25-2010, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
"Why do you prefer boosters to extended harnessing? Is there something bad about harnessing at that age/weight?"

The evidence is not conclusive either way at this point. I BELIEVE, after spending a lot of time looking into it, that the explosive retractor of a properly positioned integrated seatbelt (you go forward a bit on impact, then get yanked back) provides better protection from internal decapitation and related injuries then the harness of a car seat. I also think that car seat harnesses are inadequately tested for high-weight FFing situations - we jsut haven't been doing it that long, whereas integrated seatbelts have been in use for quite a while.

There is no One Right Choice on this issue - just what you conclude is safest for you and your kid, based on lots of factors including what fits properly in your car, whether or not your kid messes with his/her seatbelt when using a booster., etc.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page