PFD, life jackets, etc. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-25-2010, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

We're going to go the the pool weekly with our 22 month old.
What is recommended?
PS: Toddler is very tall for her age but very wiry/slim-looking so just about everything is very wide on her.
Looking for a jacket or PFD that fits her very well, where she won't slip out.

Life jacket or a "floatation swimsuit"
swimsuit: http://activebaby.ca/i-play-baby-wea...?cPath=100_273

life jacket: https://www.mountainbaby.com/product...20_30_lbs.html
#2 of 8 Old 07-25-2010, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My kids, including the skinny one, are very happy in their Wal-Mart PFDs. They have an adjustable crotch strap to keep them from riding up.

You do NOT need to spend $100 on a life jacket for a toddler to wear at the pool. If you were taking her out on a multi-day keelboat voyage or something, that would be different.
#3 of 8 Old 07-25-2010, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

HI,

Thanks--I checked walmart but couldn't find anything small enough. Maybe they were sold out?

The links were just to show what different styles I have seen, not discussing prices although I don't want to spend $100 either but my question is: is there a difference for pool use between a life jacket or a type of PFD such as the one in the photo? Most of the toddlers I saw there had actual jackets so I am confused. Did not know they had a strap so they don't ride up so that solves my worry about her size.

Never hear of a keelboat so had to look it up--looks very nice for a trip!
#4 of 8 Old 07-25-2010, 10:51 PM

You should be able to find a suitable pfd just about anywhere - walmart, target, dicks sporting goods, gander mountain, pretty much anywhere that sells outdoor stuff. Life jackets/pfds are sold by weight more than size (most are 0-30, 30-50, 50-90, then 'adult'). Just buy one in the appopriate weight category and you should be fine.
#5 of 8 Old 07-25-2010, 11:13 PM

We have both a PFD and a swim vest. DD wears her swim vest at the pool and her PFD when boating. A PFD in the pool, for us, is overkill. It is very bulky and rides up a lot despite being as tight as possible. The swim vest is trim and doesn't ride up.
This is her swim vest:
http://www.target.com/Girls%E2%80%99...n&frombrowse=0

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#6 of 8 Old 07-25-2010, 11:51 PM

For another idea- I'd suggest just holding him and staying with him and not wearing anything. Both of my kids have been in swim lessons since a year and have never worn flotation devices in the pool.

-Angela
#7 of 8 Old 07-26-2010, 03:13 AM

Another thing you have to remember is that a PFD and a life jacket are NOT the same thing.
1. A PFD is less bulky and less buoyant than a lifejacket.

2. A PFD may not roll a person into a position where their head is out of water. A lifejacket will hold the wearer in an upright position and in most cases, will roll a person from a face-down to a face-up position.

3. A PFD is preferred for active sports such as canoeing or fishing because it is more flexible.

4. Canadian-approved PFDs come in a variety of colours, such as blue, purple and black, whereas Canadian-approved lifejackets must be red, yellow or orange.

For my kids, I prefer they be in a life jacket as their heads will be held out of the water and even rolled onto their backs. If my kid got knocked unconscious and fell into the water, a PFD is only going to keep her floating and if that's face down, that's how she'll stay.
#8 of 8 Old 07-27-2010, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettymatty View Post
Another thing you have to remember is that a PFD and a life jacket are NOT the same thing.
1. A PFD is less bulky and less buoyant than a lifejacket.

2. A PFD may not roll a person into a position where their head is out of water. A lifejacket will hold the wearer in an upright position and in most cases, will roll a person from a face-down to a face-up position.

3. A PFD is preferred for active sports such as canoeing or fishing because it is more flexible.

4. Canadian-approved PFDs come in a variety of colours, such as blue, purple and black, whereas Canadian-approved lifejackets must be red, yellow or orange.

For my kids, I prefer they be in a life jacket as their heads will be held out of the water and even rolled onto their backs. If my kid got knocked unconscious and fell into the water, a PFD is only going to keep her floating and if that's face down, that's how she'll stay.
Thank you for explaining the difference!

We ended up finding a regular life jacket...bright orange as we'll use it for both for beach and pool. It might be bulky for the pool but for now it's good. I like the neck thingy so it keeps her head up.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page