True Fit Premier - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-03-2010, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tell me all about it!

Its description says no-rethread harness, but it looks like there are indeed different slots, in the pictures. Is that something you change just when you are making one big change, like to FF or something? Does the TFP have an easy-access knob like the Britax Blvd (the seat we have for DD), where you can easily move the shoulder height up and down? This was SO key for us with DD, when she was growing so fast...

In some pics on their site the little pads that go on the harness are UNDER the chest clip, but in most pics they are ABOVE. What way are they really when you use the seat?

Do you/your kid find the seat comfy?

The Blvd velcro to hold the straps out of the way doesn't always work but it is helpful a lot of the time... the TFP doesn't have anything like this, does it?

Anything else you want to tell me?

I know some people hate this seat, but many like it. We really need something to fit into our 2003 (I'm pretty sure) Honda Civic, maybe my 2004 Nissan Sentra, and ONE seat would be best, we are very cash strapped now/for the next year. I'm hoping the TFP will work for us, and I want to learn a bit more before hunting down one (waiting until like sept/oct to buy so the expiration date is later, I hope) someplace where we can try it in the car, or with free shipping returns, etc. Any tips on that also appreciated! (ETA: Oh, I DID find it on diapers.com, they just don't say "premier"-- so I will likely do that with the 10% off and free shipping both ways, yay!)

Thanks, mamas!
#2 of 17 Old 08-03-2010, 03:43 PM

I have one and LOVE it!

The harness is on a slider so you just slide it up or down depending. It looks like a traditional threading required seat, but I promise it's not. It takes 2 hands and about 10 seconds to adjust.

I'm not sure about the the pads for the harness. I have pads at the neck, which are above the chest clip, if that's what you're referring to.

My dd was a car hater, she's since gotten better, but the TFP is her favorite of her 3 seats (Triumph Advance & Scenera are our others). I really like the side wings for sleeping. It keeps her head from flopping around too much.

There is no velcro to keep the straps out of the way, which is kind of a pain, but not a deal breaker. I've never had a Britax seat so I don't know this luxury first hand, lol.

The install is very easy! I have put it in a few different cars and it's taken just a couple minutes every time, no big deal at all. It does take up a fair amount of room rf, which is annoying in a small car. We put it in a Ford Focus last summer and the passenger seat had to be up pretty far. That was the smallest car we've tried it in.
#3 of 17 Old 08-03-2010, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
for the most part i like the seat. the main issue i'm having is fitting it in small cars. i drive a 97 civic, i think it's smaller than a 2003. with the headrest the seat is too long. not that it matters now, and luckily my dd1 stayed pretty light, 23lb at 2yrs.

we just moved to temp housing and i grabbed the headrest incase my dd2 decides to grow, but it won't give the front passanger any room, for the most part not an issue. i hope to get a bigger/different car by then.

as for the rest, it's a very comfy seat.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#4 of 17 Old 08-03-2010, 06:13 PM

Once the headrest is required (the child reaches the red line, or hits 22 pounds) the seat can be installed more upright, which gives you more room I would have the 2 yo RF if at all possible

CPST & mom

#5 of 17 Old 08-03-2010, 07:26 PM

I have one and love it. If it had a 40 or 45lb limit and was a touch narrower it would be the perfect seat. I've installed it in a dozen or so cars and find the install very easy. I know some don't, but I haven't been able to understand what the problem is.

The harness doesn't need rethreading, you can adjust it while installed using a handle on the side. There are slots, but you don't need to rethread the harness to change slots.

My pads are above the chest clip. When she was a small baby they were off entirely.

No velcro thingies. DD finds the seat very comfy and has since we got it at 4 or 5 months old. She is currently 2yo, 37" tall,29lb, and RF with at least 5" of shell above her head and 6lbs to go on the weight. She will make it to 3, I think, and she is a very tall/not terribly light child.

ETA: And the headrest hardly seems to take up any room since it is nearly vertical when the seat is installed upright. We have it in a Mazda Protege (2003) with plenty of room in the front passenger seat (or the drivers seat if it is behind that). We are both 5'9" and I am very long legged

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#6 of 17 Old 08-03-2010, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks! All very promising. DH said to order sooner rather than later, so we can see if it will work... I think I'll split the different and order in a few weeks.

So is the harness adjustable to any point? The Blvd just has knobs on either side and you turn and the top of the harness moves up and down... anyway, easy to get a good fit is the point, right? DH is starting to get the hang of the carseat-- it just takes him forever. Everyone else I have to double check, don't like gparents taking her places alone, b/c of too many times where they didn't do it right (up to not having the crotch clip actually buckled! yikes! When I heard that happened more than once, that's when I decided they didn't get to drive her until we went over things together... so again why I would love a straightforward seat )

Thanks again, mamas!
#7 of 17 Old 08-03-2010, 10:16 PM

Just a quick note to say I have a True Fit (not the premier though) in my 2003 Honda Civic sedan and love it. DD is 28 months old and still rearfacing so we can have it upright enough that I still have leg room to drive (I am 5' 9"). The install is a piece of cake, especially after you've done it once. Have also had an easy time installing it in other cars.

DD born April 7/08 and expecting #2 October 2010!
#8 of 17 Old 08-03-2010, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Awesome!
#9 of 17 Old 08-04-2010, 03:26 PM

Just a dissenter here. I loath my TFP. I would *NEVER* purchase it again - its a serious PITA to tighten RFing, a major PITA to install w/ a seatbelt (cause' you *HAVE* to use the locking clips), and finally its *HUGE* front-back. Its no bigger w/o the headrest at a 45* than w/ it at a 35* angle, true, but its *STILL* HUGE and takes up a solids 1.5-2" more space RF then either my EFTA or complete air. I hate it. I would never, ever, ever purchase another one. Never. Buy an EFTA or a CA. They're a million times nicer. And cheaper
#10 of 17 Old 08-04-2010, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Those were the others on my list-- But how do those fit newborns? DD was 8lbs 6 oz and 20 inches, if this baby is anything similar...

We will be using LATCH anyway... and I DO want to see how it fits and if I can reach the belt to tighten, I know it depends on the car's seat... we will return it if we need... but yes, I want all input! Thanks
#11 of 17 Old 08-04-2010, 04:30 PM

The Triumph Advance is by far easier to tighten/loosen the harness, but it is not nearly as comfortable for my dd.

With my TFP, I losen the harness in the front, then tighten it by pushing on the back (where the harness threads I guess). It's not that big of a deal. Or, because it's a loop harness, you can just leave it as tight as necessary and pull each side as needed. That's what my DH does. I like to losen it because my dd always has books or a cup or something that she won't let go of getting in or out of the car.
#12 of 17 Old 08-04-2010, 05:12 PM

The Complete Air does not fit newborns. The EFTA has low bottom harness settings but it's SO wide that it requires a lot of blankets next to baby for support. The MyRide fits newborns like a dream though And, I love my TF. I used it RF for my son from birth and for my 5 yo and everything in between.

CPST & mom

#13 of 17 Old 08-04-2010, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks!
#14 of 17 Old 08-04-2010, 08:49 PM

I have been using it for my new baby for the past 2 months and I love it. It was surprisingly easy to install (I love the angle indicator). It seems very comfortable also. I especially like how, with the headrest off, I can see her and reach her from the front seat. It is very useful to touch her at the red light if she cries. I would prefer if it had a higher weight limit for RF though but it was the only convertible that fit into car for a newborn so I figured I migth as well get this one and maybe need to buy another one in the future to prolong RFing instead of buying a bucket seat and switching to a convertible later.

I got mine on sale at BRU so if you still have some time before you need it, it might be worth looking around for a sale.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#15 of 17 Old 08-04-2010, 10:44 PM

The EFTA fits newborns fine - ds2's been in it since a couple months old (I like buckets for the first couple months just to avoid waking them up all the time). For reference my EFTA fits wonderfully in dh's civic (its either an 01 or an 03... forget atm), with an inch or two more clearance where DH likes his seat (he's ~6' btw). Oh and I forgot to add... padding or not, ds2 *HATED* the tfp from day #1 in it - and eventually we gave the tfp to ds1 and ds2 the triumph. I think cause' its so much lower down an he couldn't see out. Good luck!!
#16 of 17 Old 08-05-2010, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Cool, those are the two on my list, then. With price matching plus special discounts they are very similarly priced... gonna look into it a bit more and order one to try in the car soon...
#17 of 17 Old 01-05-2012, 08:47 AM

Hello! Just found this old post and wanted to revisit it with a new question...

I'm curious if the original poster might read this and could tell me if the True Fit Premier ended up fitting in her '04 Nissan Sentra (if the TFP was indeed the convertible car seat that she ended up purchasing). 

I have been researching seats, and to be honest, I am getting overwhelmed. I have narrowed it down to the TFP and will be going to my local BRU to see if it will fit. We have an '01 Ford Focus and an '04 Nissan Sentra. (I originally purchased the Safety 1st Alpha Elite 65 but it was too big and have since read that it doesn't even for a safe booster.)

My DD is 13 months old and weighs 20 lbs. and is 29.5 in. with a long torso. She is right at the height limit for her current Chicco KeyFit 30 so I need to get this figured out asap. I want her to stay rear-facing as long as possible! Just running into issues with the small cars and looking for something with a tall shell, which from what I understand the TFP is great for that.

Anyone out there have experience fitting the TrueFit Premier in a '01 Focus or '04 Sentra comfortably?

TIA!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page