carseats in a school bus - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-03-2010, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we just bought a school bus that we are converting into a camper.

right now there is only 1 seat. the driver's seat. all the rest have been taken out.

when we drive places, my husband drives the bus and i follow in the van with the boys (4 and 1) in their carseats.

we were talking about seats for when it's done and we are unsure what we are going to do.

i thought that we could build some kind of set up where we could take the cushions off the couch and buckle their carseats in for driving. while we are stopped long term, they would be stowed on the roof.

my husbands concern was having them sideways instead of front facing.

do you think this is something we need to worry about? anyone have any experience with this? any suggestions?
#2 of 9 Old 08-03-2010, 04:47 PM

Well, I am just curious as to what people are going to say, but I suspect that they will say you need professionally installed seats, rear-facing, for it to be truly safe. That's just a guess. I'm not a carseat maven by any means.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#3 of 9 Old 08-03-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrtimedownhere View Post
i thought that we could build some kind of set up where we could take the cushions off the couch and buckle their carseats in for driving. while we are stopped long term, they would be stowed on the roof.
Noooooo. Big no. A couch sitting sideways is not the same as a vehicle seat.

Also, how old are your children?

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#4 of 9 Old 08-03-2010, 06:10 PM

Nope, sorry, you can't put car seats on anything other than forward-facing vehicle seats. And, "rigging something up" isn't advisable either . Can you put one of the original seats back in?

CPST & mom

#5 of 9 Old 08-03-2010, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'd put seats in behind the driver (ffing). Though I don't know in seats that you put in if you can use car seats on them anyways.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#6 of 9 Old 08-03-2010, 11:46 PM

You could replace the first row of seats (since the mounting brackets were there in the first place, rebolting the seat in place should provide the same strength as the original construction) and then have a professional install the seat belts like you were thinking. I'd go ahead and get shoulder belts now since you'll want them when your kids move to boosters.

Er, assuming that the former seat would allow for a tight install with seatbelts.
#7 of 9 Old 08-04-2010, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

we don't have any of the seats. we bought the bus already de-seated. which is why i was thinking of building a steel framed bench seat but have it double as a couch.

i guess what i'm not sure of is why rearfacing or frontfacing is different than sidefacing.

particularly in a school bus.

i was in a bus accident in grade school. i saw the whole thing because i happened to be sitting on that side but the kids on the other side didn't even know anything happened. the other car was really banged up and the bus barely rocked back and forth.
#8 of 9 Old 08-04-2010, 03:53 AM

Right, well, buses in general are safer than smaller cars due to sheer size, but that doesn't mean you can't be hurt in a crash. The major safety feature in buses is compartmentalization (think eggs in a egg carton versus loose in a shoebox) and this feature is lost when you remove the seats.

You cannot install any car seat on anything other than a forward-facing vehicle seat. "Building" a couch isn't going to be safe, I'm sorry

CPST & mom

#9 of 9 Old 08-04-2010, 12:32 PM

Is it safe to have carseats installed in a towed vehicle? Because I can see definite advantages to having a smaller vehicle on hand at your destinations. Of course, it might be more fuel efficient to actually drive your other car rather than towing it anyway.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page