Possible to ride safely in a loaded SUV? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-11-2010, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DP is a musician. We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and the back is often loaded with music equipment. There is no barrier between the cargo area and the seats. It makes me really uncomfortable and cannot be safe the way we have been doing it. DD is almost 10mo, and I want to rear face as long as possible. I was thinking about getting one of those dog gates made for SUVs, thinking that in a crash, it would keep things from flying forward from back there. Does anyone have any experience using one of these for this purpose or have any other ideas on how to secure the cargo in the back?

Cat - SAHM to Lilah 10-19-09! Happily Unmarried to DP Our new life =
#2 of 16 Old 08-11-2010, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We got one of the dog gate barriers and found it impossible to install. If you do buy one, try to buy it from a place that will install it for you. Also, most of those are tension mounted so in a crash, I don't think they would hold. We are STILL looking for an effective cargo barrier and can't find one. It drives me nuts and I think about it all the time. I'm always surprised that with all the talk of car seats and as crazy as people are about not having like, sippy cups in the cup holders because those could be projectiles, there doesn't seem to be any push for better barriers between seats and cargo spaces.

I hope someone comes up with a good recommendation!
#3 of 16 Old 08-11-2010, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Mopar makes custom fit vertical nets that attach to the floor and ceiling.

Bring back the old MDC
#4 of 16 Old 08-11-2010, 02:53 PM

I hope you find a solution. I worried about the same thing. DH would pack the back of our vehicle with drums, amps, speakers and other heavy equipment and it made me really uneasy when the kids were in the car, too.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#5 of 16 Old 08-11-2010, 04:15 PM

We had a Jeep and had a net that anchored in. I wouldn't say it was the strongest thing ever, but it certainly would have helped some.
#6 of 16 Old 08-11-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
We got one of the dog gate barriers and found it impossible to install. If you do buy one, try to buy it from a place that will install it for you. Also, most of those are tension mounted so in a crash, I don't think they would hold. We are STILL looking for an effective cargo barrier and can't find one. It drives me nuts and I think about it all the time. I'm always surprised that with all the talk of car seats and as crazy as people are about not having like, sippy cups in the cup holders because those could be projectiles, there doesn't seem to be any push for better barriers between seats and cargo spaces.

I hope someone comes up with a good recommendation!
I just wanted to second having whatever barrier you install at least semi-permanently mounted. I've tried the dog gate thing (couldn't get it to stay up) and sticky-mounted cargo nets (again, don't hold up against heat/weight). The other option I can think of would be a cargo net that could be anchored to a solid part of the car.

I agree, there should be a better option out there.

#7 of 16 Old 08-11-2010, 11:39 PM

We have had several Jeeps and our solution was to have two lidded crates, one with emergency equipment and one with the other random junk that is always in the car (coats, diaper bag, toys, books etc) and we secured them down with tie downs. Jeeps have great cargo hooks in the floor which work very well with the tie downs.

CPST & mom

#8 of 16 Old 08-11-2010, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

I have my eye on one of these. Now to find a site that has them in stock. Thanks for the responses. I kinda wish you guys had been like "You mean you don't have a ____??!!" but it's also good to hear that I'm not alone in finding this challenging.

#9 of 16 Old 08-11-2010, 11:51 PM

That might work, but most of those products don't attach very securely (they might look and feel secure, but in a crash with heavy things hitting it, it might be a different story, KWIM?). I would be interested to see how it attaches to the ceiling.

CPST & mom

#10 of 16 Old 08-12-2010, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
We have had several Jeeps and our solution was to have two lidded crates, one with emergency equipment and one with the other random junk that is always in the car (coats, diaper bag, toys, books etc) and we secured them down with tie downs. Jeeps have great cargo hooks in the floor which work very well with the tie downs.
Another vote for tie downs. We drive on windy mountain roads every day and this is the best way to secure a load.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#11 of 16 Old 08-12-2010, 09:14 AM

the other advantage to doing a tie down would be that the equipment would be safer. It'd be nice not to have to replace the $$ amps every time you have to slam the brakes, yes?
#12 of 16 Old 08-12-2010, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so what do you use to tie it down with and what do you tie it to?

#13 of 16 Old 08-12-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblecat View Post
Ok, so what do you use to tie it down with and what do you tie it to?
That's the issue I have. There aren't good spots in my vehicle to tie to. You would really have to get some anchors attached to the frame of the vehicle.

If you have some anchor locations on the floor of the cargo area, I would use heavy duty bungee cords, or a cargo net made of heavy duty cord-type material.

Now to go examine the back of my car for anchor points....

#14 of 16 Old 08-12-2010, 04:58 PM

Use ratcheting straps to tie things down to anchors. You can get the straps at an auto parts supply store. There are videos on youtube on how to use the straps.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#15 of 16 Old 08-12-2010, 05:56 PM

Like I said, Jeeps have great 'cargo hooks' which are bolted into the floor. Makes it very easy to anchor the tie downs

CPST & mom

#16 of 16 Old 08-12-2010, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
It is crazy to me that you can't just buy these when you buy your car, or that they don't come with something that pulls up from behind the second row of seats to attach at the top. Clearly people buy these big things to HAUL STUFF AROUND and none of that can be safe for any of us, much less rear facing children. It's like not having seatbelts on buses - it just seems like a huge hole in the safety area of things.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page