Infant Bucket vs. Convertible - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-13-2010, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DD is 12m 30 inches tall and 20 pounds. She uses a Graco SafeSeat 35 infant seat. We recently installed our Britax Diplomat rf in our nanny's car.

I've been thinking about replacing the bucket with a confertvible because she seems old to be in the bucket. DS was so much bigger he was out of it much earlier.

Is it true that an infant bucket is safer than a convertible?

What are the current convertibles with the highest HEIGHT limits. She is not on track to be a heavy kid but she is fairly tall and I am still annoyed about the height limits for the Diplomat-- worst purchase ever.
#2 of 11 Old 08-13-2010, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is seventeen months, an inch shorter than your girl, and 19lbs. She's still in her Snugride32. I'm going to use it until she outgrows it.
DD2 is in a Frontier and will switch to using it like a booster soon. But they have to be 2 yrs and 25lbs, I think, to be in a Frontier. She was in a Marathon until it expired when she turned six.
For this baby I will probaby get another Marathon or possibly a MyRide just because of cost.

:Mama to 2 :
#3 of 11 Old 08-13-2010, 03:30 PM

Safety wise, a convertible is very safe. The seats with the tallest shells, that will accommodate the tallest children, are the Safety 1st Complete Air, Radian, True Fits, and then the My Ride and big Britaxes.

CPST & mom

#4 of 11 Old 08-13-2010, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Any ideas about which of these car seats might be the most compact rear facing? We have a Prius and a Bug.
#5 of 11 Old 08-17-2010, 01:04 PM

Sunshine kids seem the best to me....affording it is another story.
#6 of 11 Old 08-17-2010, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post
Any ideas about which of these car seats might be the most compact rear facing? We have a Prius and a Bug.
The Complete Air can install very upright RFing in most cars, which saves front-to-back space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susank View Post
Sunshine kids seem the best to me....affording it is another story.
Radians are very nice seats, but there's no reason to believe they are "better" than others.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#7 of 11 Old 08-17-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
DD is 12m 30 inches tall and 20 pounds. She uses a Graco SafeSeat 35 infant seat. We recently installed our Britax Diplomat rf in our nanny's car.

I've been thinking about replacing the bucket with a confertvible because she seems old to be in the bucket. DS was so much bigger he was out of it much earlier.

Is it true that an infant bucket is safer than a convertible?
No -- it is not true. The seat that is safest is the seat that fits your child and your car best and will be used properly every single time you're in the car.

Quote:
What are the current convertibles with the highest HEIGHT limits. She is not on track to be a heavy kid but she is fairly tall and I am still annoyed about the height limits for the Diplomat-- worst purchase ever.
The Sunshine Kids Radian series has some of the highest harness slots for a convertible, but they do not do well in compact cars (unless puzzled between the two front seats). The Safety First Complete Air and First Years True Fit can both be installed very upright, and both have high harness heights. The Complete Air has lower weight limits overall than the other two options, though it does rear-face to 40lbs. The new Britax seats are also thought to have high harness heights (as listed by the manufacturer), but because they are so new to the market, there aren't a lot of "in the trenches" stories about how tall they really fit (some seats fit taller or shorter than specified because of how kids actually sit in the seats).

I've seen Radians install just fine in Priuses (center seat) but haven't seen them in a Bug.

Good luck with your decision!

DD March 2007...happily nursing, EC graduated, family-bed-sharing family... expecting another in early November!
#8 of 11 Old 08-17-2010, 02:55 PM

Just a note- the MyRide65 doesn't have a very tall shell. The complete air has a HUGE shell Which is a must for us

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#9 of 11 Old 08-17-2010, 04:28 PM

Yeah the My Ride shell is pretty short compared to the True Fit, Radian, and Complete Air. My 5 yo is too tall to RF in the Radian but has growing room in the CA both RF and FF.

CPST & mom

#10 of 11 Old 08-20-2010, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all. This won't be installed in the center so that is helpful.
#11 of 11 Old 08-21-2010, 11:03 AM

We just got a Radian XTSL for my youngest DD. We have 3 across in a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and the baby is in the middle RF. We chose the Radian for its high slots and since it is narrower side to side with 3 kids back there. Since it does fit between the two front seats, this works well for us in this configuration, but it probably would not work well to have it RF in one of the outboard spots. Another consideration if you want to extended RF a taller child is that the Radian, and from what I hear, the Truefit and Complete Air all have more leg room than the Britax seats too. My older DD was RF in a Britax seat till past 4, but she is very short, and even so, towards the end her legs were getting pretty tight, even scrunched up.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page