Need a carseat for Grandma - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-17-2010, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a convertable carseat rec. Dd is 7.5 months and we have the Britax Marathon which we love. But it was super expensive and I'm looking for something economical, and maybe even easy to install for when my mom watches the baby. If it helps it would mostly be when my mom and I are going somewhere together, since I'm getting sick of driving everywhere and maybe once a month for date night. I still want it to be safe, but since dd won't be riding in it all that often I don't think that it has to be the tank the britax is. Oh, and if it would also be a good one to take on an airplane that would be a major plus. Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2010, 06:41 PM

I don't have much in the way of help for you, but just wanted to say you gave me a good chuckle! I thought for a sec that your Mom needed her own car seat... and had a mental image of my Mom in DD's seat, for some reason. Ha!!!

Woman, Wife, Mom to beautiful DD (10/14/09), Copywriter, occasionally tearing my hair out but usually pretty happy about it all
Old 08-17-2010, 06:53 PM

My mom bought an Evenflo Triumph Advance. She had no trouble installing it (she did have to use a pool noodle to get a 45* angle). She took it to the fire department and they were impressed with how tight she got it.

I like that the shoulder straps adjust without rethreading, so I don't have to worry about if they need to be adjusted. Plus my sister is having a baby, so it can work for both kids without having to be adjusted.

The harness tightening is easy, too.

I'm actually considering getting this seat for our other car once DD outgrows the bucket (she's in a MyRide in my car and the bucket in DH's).

It's around $130

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Old 08-17-2010, 06:59 PM

My mom has an Evenflo Triumph for DS#2 that was DS#1's. It was a great seat for him and is in still great condition. She was able to install on her own with no problem. My IL's have an Eddie Bauer convertible car seat that they bought that was easy to install as well but it seems to be a bit more bulky than the Evenflo or even a Britax.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
Old 08-17-2010, 07:06 PM

Cosco does make a convertible that's only around $40 at the big-box stores. It'd be a trade-off, though, because it only goes up to I think 40 pounds (30 rear-facing) and you'd eventually probably have to get another convertible with a higher weight limit, but it'd do the trick for now.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

Old 08-17-2010, 10:18 PM

we have the evenflo titan rio grande for my MIL's car. we have a small baby though, so she'll fit into it well into 2 years rearfacing. my mom has the same one as us just a slightly older model that she got from a friend, a safety 1st alpha omega... dunno if you have those ones in the states. if you have a larger baby, it might be harder to chose one, since you'll have to weigh higher weight limits with cheaper price.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:01 PM

moved to Family Safety

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
Old 08-18-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMommy View Post
Cosco does make a convertible that's only around $40 at the big-box stores. It'd be a trade-off, though, because it only goes up to I think 40 pounds (30 rear-facing) and you'd eventually probably have to get another convertible with a higher weight limit, but it'd do the trick for now.
The 2010 Senera is 40lb RF and 40 lbs FF. The 2009 ia35 lb rf and 40lb ff. It has a shorter shell though so won't likely get kids to 40lbs RF and can be a bit of a pain to install... but it is a good extra seat and a good travel seat because it is really light.

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
Old 08-18-2010, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMommy View Post
All Sceneras are at least 35# RFing, and the newest ones are 40# RFing. Yes, you will need another harnessed seat (not necessarily a convertible) after it is outgrown FFing, but it is a very economical choice that should last for several years RFing.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If you want to go very economical, a scenera (around 40) and then when that is outgrown you can get something like the maestro (around 75).

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).

User Tag List