Mothering Forum banner

Need Carseat Recommendation for 4 Year Old, and Best Deal To Get One?

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  chickabiddy 
#1 ·
Just realized that my daughter is about 1" from the top of her britax marathon carseat. She is 4 years old, about 35 pounds, about 42" tall (has long torso). I want to keep her in a 5-point harness, so which is the best/safest carseat and who has the best deal?

#6 ·
A seat is outgrown by height forward-facing when the shoulders are above the top strap slots or the ears are above the top of the shell. I'd be happy to discuss other seats with you, but it seems like she's got quite a bit of time left in this seat.

(And, um, I don't think she's especially long-torsoed! My daughter completely outgrew her Marathon by height -- shoulders above the top strap slots -- at 42.5". But growth patterns change and kids sprout legs: at 42.5" she had a 16.75" torso and now at 50" she has an 18.5" torso".)

#8 ·
When a child is rear-facing (in an infant seat or in a convertible), there needs to be a full inch of shell above their heads. Forward-facing, the ears need to be below the top of the shell.

(As always, this is a general guideline that applies to the vast majority of seats. If your specific seat has different instructions, those trump.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.