This would make me a horrible mother, correct? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 98 Old 09-02-2010, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessnet View Post
And I will counter, because it is obviously not "getting through" either IT IS LEGAL!

How safe it is...now that all has to do with personal circumstance and discretion.

But people should know the actual truth of the law so they can make their own decisions, and it is bothering me that everyone keeps repeating "it's illegal", "it's illegal" when not only is it legal, but every year my car passes the safety inspection with the obviously malfunctioning air bag light a-glowing.

There is another option out there besides making the OP feel guilty, or pressuring the OP into buying a car she can't afford, or making her worry endlessly about her oldest son and the air bag. More information means we can all make better informed decisions that effect the safety of our family - whatever they may be.
It may be legal some places, but not everywhere. I know here cars can't pass safety inspection with it pulled, my ex had to go put the fuse back in before the car could pass, and I know this is the same in some states, but not all. Also, it doesn't guarantee safety. In my ex's car when we were in an accident the airbags went off, even though the fuse was pulled (and yes, we knew what we were doing. It was the right fuse. The mechanic verified as well) so no, not everyone will do that.

lady.gif Kaitlyn,partners.gif Sweetheart To My Prince Charming reading.gif & Mama To My Fur-baby flowerkitty.gif
#92 of 98 Old 09-02-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
NHTSA has said in the link I posted earlier that the 3rd row is safer than the passenger seat for children.

Yes, but not PASSENGER cars, which is what we are discussing here. Trucks and small cars without a usable back seat used to have a switch; now they have a sensor which cannot be trusted.

Thank you for the link, but

....and just because it's true where you are doesn't mean it's true everywhere. ALL of those sources that you posted above, in the US say they can't be in the front seat.

Yes, and those of us who seriously work with car seat safety in the US are getting frustrated with being constantly belittled by your posts. We know that it's acceptable in Sweden. I get that, seriously. But it is not ok in the US. And thus, it's completely not relevant.

AdventureDad, you know your stuff, for Sweden. Your advice simply does not work in North America. As has been pointed out, there is no switch in passenger cars in North America, only in trucks and even then I have seen many trucks without it. Implying that those of us who know how it works in North America and say these things don't work seriously with child passenger safety is insulting.

Just last week I had to convince a parent to pull their rearfacing seat out from the front seat because there was an airbag, but she had seen a post you made on another board claiming it was safe and she had been driving for a month with her baby rearfacing in front of an airbag. Claiming that we can do that in North America confuses parents sometimes and makes their kids less safe.

lady.gif Kaitlyn,partners.gif Sweetheart To My Prince Charming reading.gif & Mama To My Fur-baby flowerkitty.gif
#93 of 98 Old 09-03-2010, 06:21 AM

Front seat is an excellent place for a child as long as airbag is deactivated. OP said she could deactivate airbag. It's important to know the facts about safety in the front seat regardless of circumstances. If airbag can't be deactivated the front seat is a terrible place for a child. Very simple.

Saying things like "kids are always safer in the rear seat" is not correct and give parents poor information.

Quote:
Yes, and those of us who seriously work with car seat safety in the US are getting frustrated with being constantly belittled by your posts. We know that it's acceptable in Sweden. I get that, seriously. But it is not ok in the US. And thus, it's completely not relevant.
It has nothing to do with acceptable or not or which country we are talking about. The front seat is an excellent place for a child as long as airbag can be deactivated. Having the discussion about deactivating airbags in front seat is important, especially in US, where the policy of airbags always being active is not making children safer, it's actually the opposite.

I'm not belittling (is that a word...?:-)) anyone. I love people who work with car seats. Just stating a basic fact. For someone who works seriously with children's car seat safety it's a basic and simple fact to know that the front seat is an excellent place for a child as long as airbag is deactivated. It's simply not discussed among peers since the safety facts have been established long ago. Not being aware of this and "working seriously with car seat safety for children" would not be possible.

Enjoy your weekend!

CarSeat.se - Rear Facing Car Seats ⢠55 lbs Rear Facing Car Seats
Annika: 3.5 years RF Britax Hi-Way ⢠Daniel: 6 years FF Britax Adventure
#94 of 98 Old 09-03-2010, 02:07 PM

OP, if you're still around, to answer your question, no. This would not make you a horrible mother.
You are not willingly putting your son in danger without concern for his well being, and if you had a better option, you would go for it. You're staying informed, making sure you've exhausted other options before doing something you feel is unsafe, and doing what you can.
Is putting a 10 year old in the front ideal? No. However, it seems to be the only possible option that you have available to you.
You're doing everything you can.
It's very obvious that you care deeply for your children, and you sound like an excellent mother to me. Congrats on the twins!

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
#95 of 98 Old 09-03-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventuredad View Post
Front seat is an excellent place for a child as long as airbag is deactivated. OP said she could deactivate airbag. If airbag can't be deactivated the front seat is a terrible place for a child. Very simple.
It has been well established that she cannot safely do this. Again, it's a moot point.

CPST & mom

#96 of 98 Old 09-05-2010, 04:16 PM

My Vovlos have had the third seat in the way-back facing backwards. Is that an option for an Outback? I just did a quick search and found this: http://www.littlepassengerseats.com/other.htm I have no idea how expensive they are or if they've been crash tested or what the weight/height ranges are on them, but I think they are a lot of fun for kids and pretty safe when used correctly.

Otherwise, I'd have no qualms about your oldest being in the front.
#97 of 98 Old 09-05-2010, 06:51 PM

i think another relevant point in making this decision op, (that has already been touched on somewhat) is that you have a very safe vehicle.

i mean, ideally one would drive the safest vehicle with the safest carseat on the safest roads, etc... but you are going to have a hard time arriving at the ideal safety scenario very frequently. i think that having a safe vehicle is hugely important. (although many don't seem to prioritize this aspect of safety)

i drive a very safe vehicle as well and often put carseats in the front seat - and i can turn off the airbag which makes my life very convenient.

Katie
#98 of 98 Old 09-05-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiesk View Post
i think another relevant point in making this decision op, (that has already been touched on somewhat) is that you have a very safe vehicle.

i mean, ideally one would drive the safest vehicle with the safest carseat on the safest roads, etc... but you are going to have a hard time arriving at the ideal safety scenario very frequently. i think that having a safe vehicle is hugely important. (although many don't seem to prioritize this aspect of safety)

i drive a very safe vehicle as well and often put carseats in the front seat - and i can turn off the airbag which makes my life very convenient.
It's true that a safe vehicle is important. No arguments here But being up front in even the safest car is not ideal until at least 12. I drive a very safe vehicle as well (which btw I totaled 2 weeks ago, and replaced with the same car because I was so impressed with how it held up ) and it has a long list of safety features, but still indicates that children under 13 are safest in the backseat.

CPST & mom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page