Pick New Seats for 5 and almost 7 yr olds - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-30-2010, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My car seats are expiring, so I need to buy new ones. (Gulp)

My oldest will be seven in November. She's been in the Marathon. She weighs 47 lbs and is 47 inches tall. We've had her in a backless booster for occassional trips with Grandma for a year, and she does fine, but I don't know if it is okay to put her in a backless booster full time? Is it?

My youngest is 5 1/3. (She's into the exactness of the world.) She weighs 37 lbs and is about 44 inches. (Maybe 43.5. I'm not quite as good at being exact as she is.) She has been in a five point harness, but she rides in a high back booster with Grandma sometimes.

What should I put them in? Feel free to give both best practice and acceptable, more affordable options. Thanks!
#2 of 5 Old 08-30-2010, 06:44 PM

I think I'd get a Graco Nautilus for each child Since they grow with the kids.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#3 of 5 Old 08-30-2010, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
At 47", she has probably outgrown a Marathon -- where are her shoulders in relation to the top straps?

I would prefer not to see a 6/7yo in a backless booster, but there is no reason to harness a typically developing child of that age. A good highbacked booster would be a very appropriate choice. I'd look at the Sunshine Kids Monterey, the Recaro ProBooster, and the Graco TurboBooster (there's a range of prices, but more $$ does not necessarily translate into safer/better).

5-1/3 is trickier. Some kids that age are fine in highbacked boosters full-time, and some are not. Occasional rides with Grandma can tell you if she's not at all ready, but can't necessarily tell you if she's ready to be boostered full-time. Unless you're confident that she's absolutely booster-ready, a harness-to-booster seat like the Nautilus is what I would recommend. If you do think she's ready for the booster, I'd look at the Britax ParkwaySG and the Graco Turbobooster.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#4 of 5 Old 08-30-2010, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

She hasn't QUITE outgrown the Marthon. The tops of her shoulders are about an eighth of an inch below the straps, and her ears don't quite reach the top of the seat.

I think a high back booster is probably the best option for her, too.

My younger child is ultra, ULTRA safety conscious and is terrified of any possible danger. She sits VERY well in the booster with Grandma. However, I think a five point is probably the best for her.

However..... She's a kid with a LOT of anxiety. One of her big fears is being forgotten. She doesn't have a lot of hand strength, and she can't unbuckle herself from her Graco seat, nor any of the other five point seats I've tried her in. (My husband once forgot to unbuckle her at a park and walked off. He thought she was behind him, but realized after about 60 seconds and came back, but that was enough. It was at least 18 months ago, but she still gets a note of anxiety when we park. "Mommy, don't forget to get me out. Mommy, don't forget." For goodness sake, *I* didn't forget her! But, it's pretty sad and pathetic.) So, a big part of me would like to have her in a high back booster so she can be more independent and have more control.

But.....safety wise it's a close call. I'm not sure what to do. Thoughts?
#5 of 5 Old 08-30-2010, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Also, my oldest (almost 7) has a seated shoulder height of 16.5 inches, and my 5 1/3 yr old has a shoulder height of 15 inches.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page