It's haunting me... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2010, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday as I was driving home, getting off the interstate, I saw a baby (small, but face/behavior said 18mo to me) riding in someone LAP in the backseat of a sedan on the 4 lane road the exit ramp dumps me out onto. They pulled into the shopping center parking lot less than a block after I got behind them.

What would you have done in my place?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 10:58 PM

Pulled in after them and checked for a car seat? If yes, then go on with life with a prayer that it'll be used correctly, if no, call the cops.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I wouldn't have done anything. Not too long ago, I saw a family pull in next to and the baby was on the DRIVER'S lap! And there was a carseat in the back.

The other day exdh came for ds and I walked him out to make sure there was a booster, as ex was driving his mother's car. I got ds into his booster and noticed the other outboard seat held ex's 18mo ds's empty seat, so I pushed on it. It was tethered rather tightly, but the car's belt and LATCH were both hooked, and what's more, they were super loose. It made me want to cry, all weekend I thought about my ds having to attend his baby brother's funeral.

Bring back the old MDC
Old 08-31-2010, 01:01 AM

I've called the police on more than one occasion for children not in as they should be. But, that could be the CPS worker in me (pre-kid life). I once saw a woman in the McD's drive thru with a baby carrier facing forward in the front passenger seat. When I called the police I just said, "I truly hope there isn't a baby in there and this call wasn't necessary." But I wasn't taking any chances!

Valerie, wife to Kevin, mother to Elena (4), Jonathan (2), and twins, Andrew and Benjamin (2/2010)
Old 08-31-2010, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I can almost hope you're in my state because when I drive my demo carseats to events, the infant seat goes in front because it fits better there. (It's usually RFing, though!)

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:24 AM

One time about 8 or 9 years ago (maybe more) way before kids or car seat addiction. I was standing on my grandmothers balcony on the 5th floor looking down into the parking lot. I saw a man come out of the building with 2 older kids and a baby in a bucket. I watched as he tried to buckle in the bucket and he had no idea how it went or where he should put it. He finally decided that the best way to install it was in the front passenger seat forward facing, and that he should take the seat belt and wrap in around the front of the bucket . When I saw that he was going to leave it like that, he was getting the other kids into the car with no seat belts, I ran down the stairs and out the building to stop him. I just could not live with myself thinking of that poor baby being ejected and killed if there was even a minor accident . By the time I got outside he was in his seat and getting ready to back out. i tapped on his window and told him he could not have the baby in that position and buckled that way that the baby was not secured and could die very easily. He did not seem to happy that i had approached him or talked to him that way but he did stop and comply. I told him he needed to install the baby RF in the back in the middle and showed him were the seat belt went (this was before bases were common) I knew from having cared for my nieces. I also told him to have the other kids buckled in.

My grandmother did not want me to say anything to the guy but I could not just let him leave. I have seen other crazy dangerous things before like improperly installed buckets forward facing in back seat. Really old seats. FF babies etc mostly in parked cars (well not the ff babies) and have done nothing and I do regret it. I did print out some info I was going to leave on a car window but it was gone when I went back. I guess in your situation if DH was driving I would have had him get close enough so I could verify what I saw and get a licence plate then I would have called the police.

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

Old 08-31-2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly_mommy View Post
He did not seem to happy that i had approached him or talked to him that way but he did stop and comply. I told him he needed to install the baby RF in the back in the middle and showed him were the seat belt went (this was before bases were common) I knew from having cared for my nieces. I also told him to have the other kids buckled in.
WTG MAMA!

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
Old 08-31-2010, 01:52 AM

I have called the non emergency number once because every day on my way to work I saw the little toddler just sitting in his seat but the belts were not over him. So on the 3rd day I called and told them them route and time we drive it and just hoped they did something.

I don't think they did as a couple days later the child was still like that as I sat at the red light with them.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

User Tag List