Is there any 3 step seat... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-02-2010, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What car do you drive? You should be able to squeeze the RF seat behind your DH by putting it more upright.

CPST & mom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2010, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
You would still need a new seat for the baby, then, if you moved him to a combination harness-to-booster seat now.

I urge you to consider keeping him RFing (take the base off the Alpha Omega and install it more upright for more room behind the front seats), but if you do choose to turn him FFing, the Graco Nautilus is an excellent combination seat.
It sits fairly upright now...I JUST put the base back on to sit it up more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
What car do you drive? You should be able to squeeze the RF seat behind your DH by putting it more upright.
We drive a Nissan Versa. And it will be our only car for another couple of years.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Old 09-02-2010, 10:31 PM

Here are pictures of a Complete Air (which is quite similar to the 3-in-1 you have) in a Versa, with tons of room for the front passenger.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.p...ighlight=versa

CPST & mom

Old 09-02-2010, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
Here are pictures of a Complete Air (which is quite similar to the 3-in-1 you have) in a Versa, with tons of room for the front passenger.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.p...ighlight=versa
It's 50/50 what his head does when he falls asleep. Sometimes I have to reach back and lift it back up...so I'm really not comfortable putting it more upright.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Old 09-02-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
It's 50/50 what his head does when he falls asleep. Sometimes I have to reach back and lift it back up...so I'm really not comfortable putting it more upright.
He'll be even more upright if he's FF, so it's 50/50 now with the recline it's likely to be worse FF. I would install more upright and keep him RF, at almost two there's not really a big issue with his head going forward. It looks uncomfortable, but by two it's not dangerous.

Kaitlyn, partner to my sweetheart , expecting our first June '15

Old 09-02-2010, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchycanadian View Post
He'll be even more upright if he's FF, so it's 50/50 now with the recline it's likely to be worse FF. I would install more upright and keep him RF, at almost two there's not really a big issue with his head going forward. It looks uncomfortable, but by two it's not dangerous.
Is there really a huge difference between 22months and 24 months? That's how old he'll be when the baby is born.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Is there really a huge difference between 22months and 24 months? That's how old he'll be when the baby is born.
Not a huge difference, but even at 24 months I wouldn't FF him if that's what you mean. It's much safer to RF for as long as you possibly can, and if he still fits RFing he's a lot safer, 2 year old necks just aren't up to taking on the forces of a crash FF.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchycanadian View Post
Not a huge difference, but even at 24 months I wouldn't FF him if that's what you mean. It's much safer to RF for as long as you possibly can, and if he still fits RFing he's a lot safer, 2 year old necks just aren't up to taking on the forces of a crash FF.
Then I'll def have to buy a new seat I think...damn. I'll break the news to DH.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:49 PM

I hope it goes well. I really think the earlier suggestion of TrueFit to Turbobooster works well. Or if you really want the MyRide you could to MyRide to a Graco Nautilus, but that will be more expensive in the end.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:08 AM

Yeah, head slump in an older baby is not dangerous at all. I wouldn't worry about it at all; it's only bad in newborns that risk losing their airway.

CPST & mom

Old 09-03-2010, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

The current plan is to keep him in this seat RFing (it only goes to 35lbs but we'll probably make it to close to age 3) and then turn him. In the meantime, we'll buy the new baby a GOOD seat (I was thinking a MyRide 65) When DS can't use the AOE anymore we'll get him a seat that goes FF to booster and be done with it. (And CHUNK the stupid AOE...) Hopefully, once the new baby needs a booster DS won't and we can keep using it.

That's the plan anyway.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:34 PM

That seems like a reasonable plan. You could also switch DS and #2 at some point if it let you RF DS longer (put the lighter younger child in the AOE RF, DS in the MyRide RF).

You will likely need a second booster though at some point. Most kids need a booster until 10-12yo an the new baby will not fit in the MyRie until 8-10yo. However you may be able to get away with a backless (which are around $15) or a dedicated booster (around $50) either way it's cheaper than needing another harnesse seat.

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
Old 09-03-2010, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGirls View Post
That seems like a reasonable plan. You could also switch DS and #2 at some point if it let you RF DS longer (put the lighter younger child in the AOE RF, DS in the MyRide RF).

You will likely need a second booster though at some point. Most kids need a booster until 10-12yo an the new baby will not fit in the MyRie until 8-10yo. However you may be able to get away with a backless (which are around $15) or a dedicated booster (around $50) either way it's cheaper than needing another harnesse seat.
Yeah, I'm taking the "wait and see" approach with that. DH and I were both really tall kids, though. So I dunno...and my brother is 6'6" so the genes are in there somewhere.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Right now he's 16.5 months, 25lbs and 31inches....is that normal or tall?
That seems fairly normal to me. Based on the weight, though, I would predict a slightly longer torso than average (when DD was 31" she was around 20.5-21 lbs, DS was 22-23 lbs).

User Tag List