Youngest you would FF? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 09-02-2010, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Title says it all...what is the youngest you would FF? Or is it all about size?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#2 of 45 Old 09-02-2010, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
It's about age, not size.

I would consider turning for preference or convenience at age 4. I would not buy a new seat strictly to continue RFing after age ~3.5.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#3 of 45 Old 09-02-2010, 09:54 PM

It's really more about age than size as forward facing is more dangerous for a child whose vertebrae haven't completely ossified (this occurs between 4 and 6 generally). My DS is 2.5 and has FF'd once or twice, but I don't think I'd be comfortable with him FFing full-time until he's 4 (or has outgrown his seat which RF's to 44" and 45lbs, whichever comes first).

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#4 of 45 Old 09-02-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
It's about age, not size.

I would consider turning for preference or convenience at age 4. I would not buy a new seat strictly to continue RFing after age ~3.5.

lady.gif Kaitlyn,partners.gif Sweetheart To My Prince Charming reading.gif & Mama To My Fur-baby flowerkitty.gif
#5 of 45 Old 09-02-2010, 10:27 PM

If I could max out seats, I would. We had one 40lb. seat and one 35lb. seat and couldn't justify, nor afford, buying new seat(s) to keep DS2 rear-facing any longer. So we turned him a month before he turned 3 years old.
I would not feel comfortable turning a child at 2 just because he/she was 2.
#6 of 45 Old 09-02-2010, 10:57 PM

I agree with maxing out the limits of your seat, for the most part. But, if we are talking about a 18 month old who outgrew a rf'ing seat - I'd buy a new seat. As far as when I would FF - well, not counting my first two children whom are 9 and 7 and were switched too soon before I truly knew better - my answer is 2.5 years old. BUT, if I had a baby or young toddler right now, I would change that to 3. Probably not making sense... but there are now higher weight limit car seats for rf'ing, like the Radian XTSL, that wasn't around 2 years ago. As it is, my 39 lb 3.5 yr old is FF, and as much as I know he is safer RF'ing, we can't swing it right now (mainly b/c I couldn't get a decent instal with the radian in my Subaru - so I didn't have any other options).

So, yeah - I wanna say 3 years, 4 if you have a average or smaller child and can afford a seat that accomodates. 2.5 year would be the absolute minimum if there were no other options.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#7 of 45 Old 09-02-2010, 10:58 PM

Double post - sorry - my wifi just reset and went all nuts when it came back on...

#8 of 45 Old 09-02-2010, 11:03 PM

triple post - sorry!

#9 of 45 Old 09-03-2010, 12:15 AM

Bare minimum to FF for me would be 3. I turned DD2 right at 3 because she wanted to FF. Now I have my 5, 3, and 1 year olds all RF.

CPST & mom

#10 of 45 Old 09-03-2010, 12:59 AM

Turned DS1 FF right before his 3rd birthday because he outgrew the RF weight limit of his Blvd.

Now that we have a CA for DS2, going to keep him RF until the age of 4, at least.
#11 of 45 Old 09-03-2010, 01:09 AM

I plan to keep my kids RFing until I can no longer find a seat to accommodate them RFing; however, if I *had* to make an exception ($ limitations, car issues, etc...) I would follow chickabiddy's advice and not buy a new seat for a ~3.5+yo just to keep them RFing.

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#12 of 45 Old 09-03-2010, 01:50 AM

It depends. If I had a kid that hated the car and screamed bloody murder and ff-ing solved that, 18 months. I don't care what anyone says, for me at that point, the stress and emotional wreck I'll be from listening to screaming and worry about hitting someone b/c I have a kid flipping out in the backseat are going to out weigh any benefits they'll derive from rf-ing. If it's just a matter of seat size it would be until they outgrew the seat with the tallest shell height or weight limit. DD1 is going to outgrow all seats by height before weight, but I'm thinking we can get to at least 2.5-3 before we have to flip her.

obstruct livery vehicles

#13 of 45 Old 09-03-2010, 03:07 AM

I FF'ed DS just prior to 12 months old when he maxed out the weight limit for our carseat (12kgs/26lbs). At that time, there weren't any carseats available in Australia with a RF weight limit beyond 26lbs.

I'm not sure if that has changed these days. DD is still RF (16mo) but only weighs 20lbs so it's not an issue for us at the moment.

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
#14 of 45 Old 09-03-2010, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
2 is the bare minimum for me. I WOULD NOT ffing full time at two if there were any other option. But on occassion I'd be ok with it. For example, Dh's car is a two seater, so dd can't be rfing in it. We're keeping around an older junk car until she is 2 so that we have a back seat she can rf in. When she is 2 we'll get rid of that car and on very rare occassions (only if she and I are the two that need to go somewhere and dh needs the van to take the boys somewhere) would she ride in his car ffing. But we'd avoid it as much as possible.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#15 of 45 Old 09-03-2010, 06:08 AM

My kids stayed RF past 4+, I would personally never put my children FF before then unless it was an emergency. Simple reason is because of the huge safety benefits but also because rear facing works very well way past 4 years of age.

My kids have been FF before 4 years a few times during emergencies while traveling in other countries.

CarSeat.se - Rear Facing Car Seats ⢠55 lbs Rear Facing Car Seats
Annika: 3.5 years RF Britax Hi-Way ⢠Daniel: 6 years FF Britax Adventure
#16 of 45 Old 09-03-2010, 07:31 AM

For the most part, my DS is still RF'ing. I will keep him RF'ing in my car until at least age 4, but in other people's cars, I usually install his seat FF because it is easier to install. I finally felt comfortable with him occasionally FF at 3.5.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#17 of 45 Old 09-03-2010, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well it looks as though we will be turning ds fairly soon, before the winter I'm guessing as he's only 2lbs from the seat's weight limit.

Although I would love to keep him rfing longer the combination of the sheer expense of a third carseat (they are considerably more in Canada) & the fact that my knees are jammed against the dash (meaning in an accident I am likely to be gravely injured myself) all the time when I'm the passenger mean it's just not going to happen.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#18 of 45 Old 09-03-2010, 10:45 AM
MJB

I would buy a new seat, if feasible, to keep my child RFing until 3.
My second had to be FF at 2.5 because he maxed out our Radian's limit, and at that time there were no seats that RF past 35 lbs. but that isn't the case anymore, and my daughter will RF until at least 3, but hopefully 4.
#19 of 45 Old 09-03-2010, 11:43 AM

3.5-4 is my current minimum.

A child under 2 I would import a European seat if needed to keep them RF.

Under 3 I would purchase a new seat to rf for even a few more months.

3.5 and on it would depend on a number of factors.

Ds' current seat (blvd) I expect to get him to 3.5ish rf. I plan to purchase another seat to try to get him to 4+ rf. I will not purchase additional seats for his sometimes-cars. But for his usual one, yes.

-Angela
#20 of 45 Old 09-03-2010, 01:26 PM

I hope to keep DD (and future children) rf to 4yo or longer. At 4yo I would consider FF out of preference (easier, child preference, etc)

I probably would not buy a new seat to extend RF past 3yo. Also, I'd be ok with a 3yo FF in less-frequent circumstances for convenience. I'd buy a new seat to keep a child RF until 3yo, but only within reasonable limits of affordability and legality.

I'd go to great lengths (buying a seat I couldn't afford on credit, importing a seat, seriously considering a different car, illegally disabling airbags, etc) to keep a child RF until 2yo.

For other children in my car, I'm willing to let the parent make the call as long as the child is RF until 1yo, harnessed until 4yo, boostered as needed and within the limits of their seats.

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#21 of 45 Old 09-03-2010, 01:29 PM

Our plan was to FF ds when he hit 36 pounds. In reality we switched when he was 35 lbs because it was easier when were traveling in taxi's and such on our vacation to D.C. and when we came back we figured we might as well leave him instead of turning him for a couple months and then turning again.

So for us, ds was 2years 3 months. I'm sure we will do about the same with the next kidlet. We are happy with the Marathon and did not want to invest in another car seat just to rear face longer. I think 2 is a lot longer than most around here.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#22 of 45 Old 09-03-2010, 03:56 PM

When she hits 35 pounds, which will max out both her signo and her boulevard. She's 2.5 and about 28-29 pounds, so I am guessing about another year, unless she has a massive growth spurt. I would like to keep her longer, but I think at that point we'll just get her a FF new seat rather than spend the money for a few more months of RF.
#23 of 45 Old 09-03-2010, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Do children normally outgrow their seats by weight before height? And is it overall height or just torso height? Ours says "until 36 inches" and DS is 31, but he has plenty of space because, well, he has legs.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#24 of 45 Old 09-03-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
Do children normally outgrow their seats by weight before height? And is it overall height or just torso height? Ours says "until 36 inches" and DS is 31, but he has plenty of space because, well, he has legs.
It depends on the kid and the seat which they'll outgrow by first. It's torso that matters. For RFing he needs one inch of hard shell above his head, if he has less it's outgrown. The 36 inches is a guideline, but every kid grows differently.

lady.gif Kaitlyn,partners.gif Sweetheart To My Prince Charming reading.gif & Mama To My Fur-baby flowerkitty.gif
#25 of 45 Old 09-03-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
Ours says "until 36 inches" and DS is 31, but he has plenty of space because, well, he has legs.
#26 of 45 Old 09-03-2010, 10:58 PM

I am trying to be okay with turning my 4.5 yo FF. I always said it would be fine any time after 4 but I get nervous even now. It's funny because originally I said he could be FF at 2... now I panic about 4.5. How things change... my older girls all turned FF at 12 months because I didn't know any better.

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#27 of 45 Old 09-03-2010, 11:56 PM

My bare minimum would be three and thirty pounds. We turned Ds1 around at 3 and 33 (decathlon limit) We have Marathon now as well. But he like s being ff in the other car so we have kept him that way. Plus with cloths he is 35+.

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#28 of 45 Old 09-04-2010, 12:08 AM

To the limits of the seat and if needed/possible get another seat.

My third was a big baby and I had to turn him at 10 months. There was no way around it because he was even over the weight limits for the seats that were available at that time... (just 3 years ago)

I wish I could have kept him RF because I knew the benefits but I couldn't...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#29 of 45 Old 09-04-2010, 03:19 AM

I'm keeping ds RF until he outgrows his Radian, regardless of his age.

At this rate he will be at least 6 when he outgrows it RF.

For me, you RF to the max limits of the seat, doesnt matter how old the kiddo is.
#30 of 45 Old 09-04-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighi123 View Post

For me, you RF to the max limits of the seat, doesnt matter how old the kiddo is.
I took the question to be what if the seat you have is outgrown early.

Many seats currently on the market can be outgrown rf easily by 18months.

-Angela

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page