BRU trade-in: go to convertible at 6 months? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 09-05-2010, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is just about 6 months, and BRU is running this "bring us your old gear and we'll give you 25% off new gear" promotion. I figured I could bring her bucket car seat (which was DD1's and expires the end of this year anyway) and get a convertible? We moved DD1 to a convertible pretty quickly because she seemed uncomfortable, despite her small size, so we're definitely not in the "use it until the max weight" camp. But, are there any pitfalls I should know about it switching to a convertible at 6 months?

Also, I can't remember. Does a RF convertible recline less than a bucket? DD is sitting unassisted now and really hates laying back in the car seat. She keeps trying to sit up when I put her in the car seat.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 09-05-2010, 11:42 AM

We switched from an infant car seat to a convertible (britax boulevard) when my son was about 6 months. He was very big though (about 20 lbs at 6 months) and that was the main reason we did so. However, now that we've used the convertible both rear facing and forward facing, we bought another of the same model for baby #2! We'll probably use the infant car seat again for a bit, but I plan on putting baby #2 in the convertible even sooner because I like it better and I feel like the britax is safer than the graco bucket seat we have. The britax has an adjustable recline, but it sits pretty much straight up when it's RF (at least how it fits in our small 4 door sedan). It's not completely straight up, but I'd say less reclined than the bucket seat.

I don't know of any draw backs of switching to a convertible early, and honestly, if I wasn't having a November baby, I'd use the convertible right from the start with this one. But I think the bucket seat will be nice to keep baby warm going in and out in the freezing temperatures.

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#3 of 18 Old 09-05-2010, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
we've been in a convertible since bringing him home from the hospital. Why wouldn't it be ok at 6 months?

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama to Junebug , Sugarbug and expecting
#4 of 18 Old 09-05-2010, 11:51 AM

We just did this, and my daughter is 5 months. We had an older expired car seat someone had given to us, so we brought it in and got a Graco My Ride 65. And yes, she is less reclined than she was in the bucket. But even better, she is also in a more seated position as opposed to the C curve she was in in the bucket seat. I can't think of a single negative. I never lugged the bucket around because it was too darn heavy, and my daughter preferred being worn and seeing the world, so I don't feel like we lost anything in switching.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#5 of 18 Old 09-05-2010, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As long as the straps fit properly and it's rear-facing-

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#6 of 18 Old 09-05-2010, 12:15 PM

We just did the same as cecilias mama, only I got mine on sale at sears. The only thing I notice with the change is it's a bit trickier to lift her through the caravans doorway to get her into the seat so I'm glad I'm getting the practice at it now while she's only 14+ lbs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
#7 of 18 Old 09-05-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

OK--great reinforcement! Thanks Mamas! I'm a slinging mom, too, so the bucket stays in the car most of the time. I think the only drawback I can think of is that we have three convertibles for DD1 (age 5): my car, DH's car, and my mom's car. I don't know what we'll do with DD2 out of the bucket.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#8 of 18 Old 09-05-2010, 01:16 PM

We have a Maxi Cosi Priori (I don't know if BRU sells them in stores, but they do online) and it has a great recline. We've been using it since birth. BRU will usually let you take the floor model seats out to your car to try them, so I'd suggest doing that and seeing what the recline is like in your car.
We also have a Britax in DH's car. It wouldn't fit DD2 from birth, and it was harder to get the recline right, but we do love it, too.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
#9 of 18 Old 09-05-2010, 03:21 PM

DS has been in a convertible since 7 months, he hated the bucket, it made things so much better.

Couldn't you just get a cheaper convertible like a Scenara or something to move from DH's and your mom's car? I like having extra seats so that's what we do, I mainly have the kids, but my Dad and stepmom have a seat and DH does too. Their main seats are with me, the extra seats travel with the other cars.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#10 of 18 Old 09-05-2010, 03:57 PM

we've been using graco myride65 since ds left the hospital. its kind of a pain in the butt tbh because when they're rear facing (this one goes to 40 lbs rear facing which is good bc apparently some states are changing the rearfacing law to 2 years!) the front seat cannot be touching the carseat. we had it installed properly at the local police station- in ri they do it for free bc i guess a lot of them are installed wrong- and that's what they told us, anyway. they also said to use a rolled up towel under it (they do this even with the bucket seats) to stabalize it. i'm not really sure why this is important, i feel like the seats have been testing and have everything they need already. anyone else hear about this?

femalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gif crafty Mama to Maxwell, born April 5, 2010 and partner & best friend to Dan <3

#11 of 18 Old 09-05-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz.Furtado View Post
we've been using graco myride65 since ds left the hospital. its kind of a pain in the butt tbh because when they're rear facing (this one goes to 40 lbs rear facing which is good bc apparently some states are changing the rearfacing law to 2 years!) the front seat cannot be touching the carseat. we had it installed properly at the local police station- in ri they do it for free bc i guess a lot of them are installed wrong- and that's what they told us, anyway. they also said to use a rolled up towel under it (they do this even with the bucket seats) to stabalize it. i'm not really sure why this is important, i feel like the seats have been testing and have everything they need already. anyone else hear about this?
Seats often need to be installed with a rolled up towel or pool noodle in order to get them at the proper angle. The angle of your car's back seat isn't always the right angle for the seat. All cars are different, and some need that little extra lift where part that you sit on meets the part that you lean against.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#12 of 18 Old 09-05-2010, 06:49 PM

moved to family safety...

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#13 of 18 Old 09-05-2010, 10:48 PM

BRU almost always has 20% off baby gear coupons in the paper, or in it's online circular. So if you think you might have another baby someday, or have a friend who might need your bucket carseat...I'd probably do that instead of saving another 5%...

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
#14 of 18 Old 09-06-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower.mama View Post
BRU almost always has 20% off baby gear coupons in the paper, or in it's online circular. So if you think you might have another baby someday, or have a friend who might need your bucket carseat...I'd probably do that instead of saving another 5%...
I think the OP said the bucket was expiring in Dec. So it only has 3 months of usable life left...

A convertible is perfectly appropriate for a 6mo. Just make sure the lowest strap slot is below her shoulders. At 6mo, most seats will be. The recline is not really an issue, you can make it reclined up to 45 degrees with rolled towels/pool noodles, but at 6mo, your baby probably has decent head control and doesn't need the seat that reclined. My dd moved to slightly more upright convertible (maybe 40 degrees) at 5mo.

If I were shopping today at a BRU for a 6mo, I'd be looking at the MyRide or the Complete Air.

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#15 of 18 Old 09-06-2010, 10:25 AM

DS outgrew his bucket by height not long after 6 months and I think the convertible worked really well. The downside, as you said, is you have to get new seats for all the vehicles you regularly use.

Some cheaper ideas --
You could solicit free expired / recalled baby items (car seats, cribs, etc) from relatives and friends for the BRU trade-in. There is no limit to the number of items you can trade in and the event runs through Sept 17 or 19, I believe.
Google Products is also great. If you plug in some car seat models you're interested in, you can find online retailers with great deals. Frequently Amazon, for example, has the same seat for less than BRU and right now most of their baby stuff is free shipping and free 365 day returns.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#16 of 18 Old 09-06-2010, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

All great info, mamas! Thank you!

#17 of 18 Old 09-06-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
Google Products is also great. If you plug in some car seat models you're interested in, you can find online retailers with great deals. Frequently Amazon, for example, has the same seat for less than BRU and right now most of their baby stuff is free shipping and free 365 day returns.
That is definitely good advice. I got my carseats from albeebaby.com and diapers.com for much less than any sale or special price I'd ever seen at BRU.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
#18 of 18 Old 09-06-2010, 08:54 PM

By the time DD was 6mo I was definitely sick of the bucket. I did hold out for a few months though, because it was the dead of winter and we live in Canada. For us the only downside of convertable vs. bucket is not being able to bundle the baby in the carseat before going out to the car.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page