No Baby Gates - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-10-2010, 02:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think gates are a huge pain in the bum & I was not paying $100 for a wall-mounted gate at the top of the stairs. We had them up for, like, one day & I said that was it & took them down. We helped dd1 learn how to go up and down the stairs by herself as soon as she crawled over to them & have not looked back. She has fallen only twice. Three times if you count the time that I slipped while carrying her. Never injured. We have always allowed her to go up and down the stairs w/out supervision & she has free-roam of the house at all times. We will teach dd2 how to do the stairs, too, when her time comes.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2010, 11:04 AM

The evenflo top-of-stairs gates are like $40... But, whatever.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmhpke96 View Post
No gates here. We live in a tri-level house, 6 stairs to the upstairs and 6 stairs to the downstairs. All the stairs are carpeted. The main living area has hardwood floors, but the bottom floor has carpet.
All of my kids have been interested in climbing stairs and I just help them learn. The worst that would happen is they would fall down 6 stairs onto hardwood floors, and it happened once or twice to each of them.
If I had a house with 20+ stairs that were not carpeted I would think about having gates. Luckily, I don't.
Same here! Actually we do have a gate at the bottom of the stairs to the upper level, but it's a dog gate, not a baby gate. We close it only at night so that the dogs will stay on the main level. There is no gate at the top, or blocking the other stairs to the basement.

My youngest is about to turn 1 and has been walking for a month and a half. That was about the same time that he noticed the stairs, so we showed him how to use them safely until he understood. I think a lot of it is the baby's personality, like others have said.

Like my other kids when they were little, he generally likes to stay on the same level of the house as me, so he doesn't try to go running up and down the stairs every time my back is turned. He has free range and I really don't watch him that closely if I'm honest. He knows how to use the stairs, so if he sometimes decides to follow one of the other kids up there, or comes down to find me in the basement when I'm doing laundry, that is fine.

I was going to say that I might feel differently if I had a very tall staircase, but then I remembered that we did in our old house and still didn't use a gate for my dd. I'm sure I'd have put off teaching them all to use the stairs properly at under a year of age if we had a gate, and I think it's an important skill to have early on.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

User Tag List