families with three kids - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
1  2
Family Safety > families with three kids
galincognito's Avatar galincognito 11:20 PM 09-10-2010
we have a honda cr-v and can fit a rf radian, rf britax roundabout and another seat ff.
we are currently expecting #3 and will be moving up to an odyssey when we can afford it. i was thinking about an suv but because our kids are still so little, it'd be really awkward to access the back row and do up buckles, etc. so the minivan gives us a bit more space that way (and i really hate minivans! but, i guess it's part of life for me with 3+ kids!!)

donutmolly's Avatar donutmolly 02:59 PM 09-11-2010
We have 3 kiddos in our VW Golf. Not saying it's ideal, but it does work! And we like the gas mileage!
SubliminalDarkness's Avatar SubliminalDarkness 04:09 PM 09-11-2010
I've done it when I was nannying an extra child.
It's possible, but I wouldn't do it if I had another reasonable option. As in, if I could afford to buy a minivan, I would.
Last year when we needed to replace my Jeep, we did so with a minivan, because we assumed we'd be having #3 sometime in the lifetime of that vehicle.
Eclipsepearl's Avatar Eclipsepearl 05:14 AM 09-14-2010
I have three in a Toyota Yaris. We live in a big city and I refuse to drive a tank. This is made worse by the fact we live in France so none of those roomy parking spaces you have in the U.S. It's also parallel park or croak. There is no other way...

My last car was even smaller (a VW Polo, not sold in N.America). The center seat was only a lap belt and the air bag couldn't be turned off, which were the main reason for changing cars. I also wanted tether hooks...

But yes, we have bickering. I have to be honest, it is just as worse in my dh's Land Rover. The back seat is much wider than in my tin can.

So the space does not help this problem. You would have to get a car with more flexible seating that doesn't require them to be three in a row. We have rented those on vacation in the U.S. and yes, it's much better. It's kind of irritating that dh's car is just as big as some of the higher-seated models and we only have 5 seats.

Also, my dh does major miles due to his job. He has diesel (remember the gas is 4 times the price here) so having a normal gas car would be too expensive. Supposedly it's "clean burn" diesel (not convinced myself...) But the drive is awful, even in a high-priced car. It really makes the kids sick. I'm not sure how popular diesel is where you live. When I bought my Yaris, I insisted on gas and they looked at me like I had two heads.

I also think it's the way I drive but the kids are almost never sick in my car and are almost every time in his. Avoid diesel at all costs!
Mrsboyko's Avatar Mrsboyko 06:15 PM 09-20-2010
We have a 2002 Pontiac Boneville with a million miles on it. When #3 arrives, we will have a boulevard and a radian (FF) and a coccoro (RF). Amazingly we got this car on accident, and it is one of the very few cars with 3 latch installment places in the back seat. I love it.
AllyRae's Avatar AllyRae 06:33 PM 09-20-2010
We have 3 Radians in a Mazda5. Our Radian xtsl is rear facing in the 2nd row behind the passenger side, one radian 80 is forward facing in the 2nd row behind the driver, and one radian 80 is forward facing in the 3rd row passenger's side.
MacKinnon's Avatar MacKinnon 08:25 PM 09-20-2010
I love my mini-van. Well, I hate the particular VAN I have, but I wouldn't trade a third row for ANYTHING. Right now I have both DD's- 6 1/2 yo and newbie in the captains chairs and DS in the third row. But we've already, in just 15 days, had them arranged in several other ways. I can't imagine not having the third row!
MammaG's Avatar MammaG 09:50 PM 09-20-2010
I love my Mazda5. We have a RF baby-bucket in the driver's side 2nd row, a FF convertible in the passenger-side 2nd row and a FF Nautilus in the back. Other 3rd row seat folded usually for groceries and/or stroller.

Love the size, love the mileage, love the seating flexibility (really, really loved the price).
Naomismom's Avatar Naomismom 11:05 PM 09-20-2010
I have 3 carseats (all Radians) in the back of my Civic, but considering that one is not due to arrive for another 3 weeks or so, I can't comment on how bad the fighting will get.
OkiMom's Avatar OkiMom 11:20 PM 09-20-2010
We need to get a car before the new baby comes (we have a 2 door/4 seater and already have 2 children so adding a 3rd isn't going to work). Id like to get a van just so the older ones don't mess with the baby. My two oldest like to pass things back and forth and share drinks/snacks in the car. Passing over a sleeping baby just wouldn't be a good idea. Also we like to camp and right now we have to put some of the camping gear in the back seat of the car under the kids feet (it doesn't fit in the trunk with the stroller, cooler, and other gear) and Im not a fan of having stuff under the kids feet as well.
Ideally I would like to get a van with 3 rows (preferably one that the seats fold in or fold up so we can transport bigger items if needed) and then put the oldest two in the very back and the baby in the second row.
ancoda's Avatar ancoda 12:53 PM 09-21-2010
I am sure it is possible to get three on a row, but I would never want to do it with my kids. We have a dodge caravan.
justKate's Avatar justKate 02:43 PM 09-27-2010
Did anyone mention yet that 7-passenger Ford Explorers are coming out 2011? Not a minivan, not an Expedition... I'm not in the market for a 7-passenger yet, but I'm going to go check them out when our dealership gets one, just to dream.
an_aurora's Avatar an_aurora 03:12 PM 09-27-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post
Did anyone mention yet that 7-passenger Ford Explorers are coming out 2011? Not an SUV, not an Expedition... I'm not in the market for a 7-passenger yet, but I'm going to go check them out when our dealership gets one, just to dream.
I have a 7 passenger Explorer in my driveway and it's 8 years old Maybe you mean a different model?
TheGirls's Avatar TheGirls 09:12 PM 09-27-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post
Did anyone mention yet that 7-passenger Ford Explorers are coming out 2011? Not an SUV, not an Expedition... I'm not in the market for a 7-passenger yet, but I'm going to go check them out when our dealership gets one, just to dream.
Erm, isn't an Explorer an SUV?
sweetcheeks's Avatar sweetcheeks 12:27 AM 09-28-2010
We had 3 across in the backseat of an Intrepid. DS1 and DD were FFing in the outboard positions and DS2 was RFing in the middle. All 3 were in Radians. The big 2 were picking on the youngest all.the.time. so after on particularly hellish road trip, I demanded we start looking at something bigger. We ended up with a Sienna... and wonder why it took us so long to get a mini van! We love our Sienna. I love being able to have room for the kids' friends and the cargo space in it is great!
mysticmomma's Avatar mysticmomma 12:40 AM 09-28-2010
my dad has had all three in his 4 door hyundai, corolla, sonata and accord. 2 FF graco turbo boosters and a RF graco nautilus.
elmh23's Avatar elmh23 01:43 AM 09-28-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
my dad has had all three in his 4 door hyundai, corolla, sonata and accord. 2 FF graco turbo boosters and a RF graco nautilus.
the graco nautilus doesn't rear face. are you sure it wasn't a different car seat?
mysticmomma's Avatar mysticmomma 02:04 AM 09-28-2010
oops... it was a myride.
justKate's Avatar justKate 10:52 AM 09-28-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
I have a 7 passenger Explorer in my driveway and it's 8 years old Maybe you mean a different model?
Really? I thought it was a new thing, the way they're marketing it. The "new" ones for 2011 show 3 different seat configuration options for 5, 6, or 7 depending on what you buy. Weird...

Yep, just did a google search and it looks like they've been available w/7 passenger seating since at least '04. Wonder if they're hard to find, since its an option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGirls View Post
Erm, isn't an Explorer an SUV?
OOPS, I meant not a minivan..
Monkey Keeper's Avatar Monkey Keeper 12:09 PM 09-28-2010
We have 3 across in my '02 Saab wagon. Two FF Radians one in the middle, one behind the passenger and a Graco infant bucket (NOT the 30lb one) behind the driver. We need to move the infant seat behind the passenger b/c DH is so tall that he can't move the seat back far enough to drive comfortably.

Our biggest issue is my two DDs fighting over who gets to sit next to the baby. *sigh*
1  2

Up